“Worst, Filthiest Resort I've Ever Seen”
Review of Angsana Bintan

Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed November 2, 2013

If I knew how to contact the Indonesian health authorities about this place, I would. I've never eaten such a filthy breakfast with flies all over the meat/cheese/fruit, nothing was in the fridge in the tropical weather, filthy drains leak filthy water in the courtyard right next to the dining area. There was actually only one restaurant and no air conditioning other than the very shabby rooms. How they get away with charging 5 star prices at 3 star resorts I'll never know.

I'm currently writing an article about Angsana and the neighbouring Banyan Tree to warn people about the state of this place. I've contacted the hotel several times and so has the booking agent. We've sent them photosThey really don't care if you get sick here, it's not their problem so they don't bother answering.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank remarkable_travels
ANIDBN, Ilias Vamvakas, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear remarkable_travels,

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you experienced in regards to your stay here at Angsana Bintan.

We received your dissatisfaction statement from your agent on the 6th October 2013 and I have personally replied to your Agent on the 8th October 2013. In case you have not received my reply from your agent please forward your e-mail address to ilias.vamvakas@angsana.com and I will forward you a copy.

Let me assure you that your observations have been taken seriously and your feedback was shared with each Department Head to ensure follow-up is taken place on our shortcomings.

Since last month the project to seal off the AC buffet counter area in the Lotus Cafe in order to prevent the flies has been completed.

I am very confident that your experience was an exception and it’s my sincere hope that we can welcome you back to demonstrate the true Angsana hospitality we normally offer.

Again my sincere apology for our shortcomings.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel is far from being a 5 star hotel as proclaimed . It is really run down, poorly maintained and needs a complete facelift. The personnel is very kind. Food quality is poor and overall when you pay 900 dollars for a family suite you expect another level of performance from the hotel. Hotel management is poor. We complained and were given a 15 % discount on our bill , but got no confidence that anything will be done to improve it. Room was smelling of chemical and mould when we got in. I have travelled around the world and in many places in south East Asia: this was for sure my worst experience . I would have had no problem to spend 200 dollars more to get what a 5 star should give you. I would struggle to qualify this place as a 3 star. Positive point: beach very nice and golf course right next door. When I was leaving at the reception where you book the spa I lifted the lid of the container that was supposed to contain a massage unguent and it was full of ants: yet the hotel manger was right next to me and did not even see it! Unbelievable!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ANIDBN, Ilias Vamvakas, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear PaoloCH2013

Please accept my unreserved apologies for the negative experience you encountered during your stay with us.

Speaking to you on the day of departure I was sorry to hear that your accommodation and the food quality was not up to your expectation. On the same day my Housekeeper, Engineer in Charge and myself went in all the accommodation units which you and your family occupied to inspect and to rectify the short comings which you mentioned. In addition I asked my Area Executive Chef to revisit the dishes in both properties and to  fine tune the recipes were necessary.

Thank you very much for your positive comments about our associates, the beach and our Laguna Golf Course.

I deeply appreciated the fact that you have taken the time to point out all the short comings and for given me the opportunity to rectify the areas you mentioned.   Looking very much forward to welcome you and family back in the future to Angsana Bintan.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Travelled to Angsana with my husband and 3 year old son. Stayed 3 nights in the 2 bedroom suite (well worth it-loads of space, great lay out). The service was generally good, and the staff attentive. On our last day we wanted to change our ferry booking and it proved to be no problem for the concierge. The food was great but would become repetitive if you were staying longer than 3 days. There are no eating options beyond the hotel, except for The Banyan Tree next door. Had a treatment at the spa and it was dreamy! This is a great place for families with small children, the beach is clean and safe and the pool is a good depth for little ones.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had a very nice stay!! Hotel is a little dated, but good value, great pool and excellent beach access from hotel. The hotel manager is very friendly and he really went out of his way to make sure we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Staff was very friendly as well.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

It was my first time in Bintan, and I believed we have gotten an excellent package from booking directly from Angsana website!

The package includes: daily breakfast, 1x bbq dinner buffet, return land transport, 20pct discount on spa and 15pct discount on F&B.

When we got there, we realized that there was an event organized by the resort, which include some beach games and party on Saturday night. The bbq dinner buffet spread (by the sea) was good, "catch of the day" were very fresh... other than great music, the night ended with fireworks! which was totally unexpected.

We stayed in the Deluxe Queen room, room space was decent, air-con and toilet all working well, except there is a little smell in the room (which is still acceptable). Beach was well maintained, not crowded. Swimming pool was fun with colorful floats! Breakfast buffet spread was pretty okay too. And the resort provides 2 bottles of mineral water in the morning, and send another 2 bottles of mineral water in the evening.

I have heard a lot of saying about Bintan's resorts, how touristy the island is, how bad the food are, how expensive the water are (that we have to BYO water from Singapore), but my experience with Angsana has proven otherwise. The manager/staffs were very friendly and helpful.

Indeed everything was in USD and bills are charged with government tax of 21pct?? Luckily we had the package and had a huge saving on the room, meals and spa..

We both enjoy very much at Angsana resort. It was a relaxing and a great weekend escape from Singapore. It was a last minute trip booked 1 day before we depart.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ANIDBN, IliasVamvakas, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear hmm_t,

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments about our hotel services and associates. We are proud of our team and believe they are the finest in Angsana Bintan. Your comments endorse our believe and it is great testimony to their dedication and professionalism.

Your comment on the bad odor in your room has been noted and shared with our Executive Housekeeper to follow-up on our inconsistency.

Hmm_t, once again thank you for choosing our hospitality and for taking the time to share your observation with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Angsana Bintan in the near future.

A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Excellent service, rooms are a little dated but very clean and tidy. Located right on the beach and a good range of restaurants when you include the sister resort - Banyan Tree - next door. Very accommodating of young families.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

the check in process is amazing by the receptionist.

we were treated like royalty and the service throughout my 3 nights stay are amicable.

the staff are polite and very willing to assist and all the staffs who spotted us will smile or greet us. SUch service is very important in our holidays with our children.

The beach and pools are beautiful and the landscape are so natural and green and blends in well with the modern amenities.

THough the room service food are a little on the high side but they are really delicious and they come with a basket of breads.

staff rocky and receptionist reina are a amazng staff that deserved to be complimented.
dedictaed and sincere in assisting you whenever a request is made. They do not say "no" and they will surprise you with an alternative!

well done angsana, you deserved 99 stars like my children said because all yours staffs are like a great star to the resorts

chris chua
singapore

Dear Chris Chua,

I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent holiday at Angsana Bintan. Your comment on the friendliness at our team is very much appreciated and we are very proud of our associates. Especially Rocky & Reina, they were very happy to have received such high praise from your good self. Also on their behalf - thank you very much!

Your comment on the room service has been noted and shared with our F&B Service Director to follow-up on our inconsistency.

Thank you for choosing our hospitality and for taking the time to share your observation.