“Drop in quality at Angsana” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Angsana Bintan

Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Drop in quality at Angsana”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Angsana Resort regularly over the past 10 years as a member of the Laguna Holiday Club. My recent visit (7-11 Aug) was the most disappointing experience I have had in what I once regarded as a wonderful resort which I recommended and brought close friends to. This disappointment has extended to today when I have yet to receive any reply or response from Angsana regarding my feedback form submitted to the Reception when I checked out. We had a 1BR suite, and the trials began with a bus from the ferry terminal that stopped twice from mechanical issues and then within the Angsana grounds, actually broke down. The driver took about 10 min to try and get things going and he (Edrisno) is to be commended for that. I heard fellow bus passengers remarking on the poor quality of transit. At the Resort, we were greeted by an inexperienced LHC staff which was perhaps undertandable given the Hari Raya holidays. But when we had our room assigned, there was no resort briefing and when we tried to get details of simple things like local phone calls, etc, there was no printed material in the room to help. We then sought to place our passports, etc in the room safe. There were no instructions and we tried all manner of past experience to get this to work. A call to the operator yielded not a response, and only personally bringing a front counter staff to the room resulted in some response from Engineering. In the end, I was told that this was an old safe and other rooms had new safes. Happily, they replaced the entire safe. But the angst of this experience (down to not having tea and coffee replaced) was significant. And what now irks is that there has not been a single reply or response to my carefully written feedback form some 10 days on. This advertised premier resort which I have been delighted with for years, has seriously disappointed. And now, I suspect that the only reasonable response I will get to my concerns are as a result of this being reflected in the international forum of Trip Advisor, I wish it had not been so

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wyemun
ANIDBN, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Wyemun,

I would like to apologize to you for the late reply.

We are so sorry that your stay with us this time was less than satisfactory. I have shared your feedback with our team and we are committed to make ongoing improvements to our product, service, and staff training, ultimately ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests.

We highly value your valuable feedback on Trip advisor and on the guest questionnaire which you filled out on your departure with regards to no in room briefing, safe deposit box failure, broken bus , and the deck chair cushions.

It is our objective to meet and actually exceed the expectations of our customers and I am sorry that in this particular case we have certainly fell short.

Thank you for your gracious comment about our associate Edrison. He was indeed very happy by your kind words.

Again, we are terribly sorry that your experience at our resort as a 10 years member of Laguna Holiday Club was not as you would expect from Angsana Bintan.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back to our beautiful resort in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Angsana Bintan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

From all reports Angsana is the second best resort on the island- second to Banyan Tree (Which is about double the price). The rooms are a little older but the bedding and linen are all beautiful and new. The service was excellent, all the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a complimentary shuttle from the airport, so don't bother paying $15 for a taxi. The spa is really amazing, I had the best massage ever, I would highly recommend it. They don't really advertise but you can walk over to Banyan Tree next door and eat at their restaurant and charge it to your room. Their Thai restaurant was wonderful. They state prices in US and charge rupiah on your credit card plus taxes, but I think that is standard for Bintan.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

OK, so you expect prices to be inflated when staying at an isolated resort but the prices charged here are disgusting - US$15 for two average cups of coffee! I also suspect the are creaming money off on the exchange rates which were always worse than what I got on xe.com and worse for the Rupiah which they insist you pay in (dubiously down to Bintan banks only accepted Rupiah)

The rooms are so dated it was like staying at my Grandmother's house and not good enough for S$500 a night.

Its a shame cost the location is quite pleasant and the staff and service absolutely superb. The (what I consider) unethical price gouging ruins it all.

Sorry Banyan Tree but you've lost my business

Room Tip: stay at another resort
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LeGrange1
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear LeGrange1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

It concern us greatly to read your comment in regards to our F&B and accommodation pricing policy at our resort and I sincerely regret that we have failed to meet your expectation.

Angsana Bintan was renovated in the year 2011.

I deeply appreciate your positive comments about our associates and the location.

Looking very much forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My girlfriends and I (four of us) booked the 2 bedroom suite for the period 2 August to 4 August. No complaints about the room itself, it was acceptable . I thought it a bit expensive for the kind of finishing touches provided. What was a major peeve though was that even though they clearly knew there were 4 of us, the hotel still limited wi-fi access to three devices!!! And apparently this was a rule that could not be changed??

For the price we pay, these days it would not be unreasonable for wi-fi at least to be provided based on number of people in the room. Management of the hotel if you are reading this please do something about it...

Aside from this, the hotel was otherwise enjoyable for a short break... the breakfast spread was not as lavish as we had expected again for the prices we pay....would probably not go back unless there was some promotion. Also the shower should be redone ....as the glass screen does not work and water gets splashed all over....

Bintan island itself has nothing much to offer so the hotel must be better as most times would be spent there... perhaps the hotel could provide some activities such as yoga class or more...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NickyPoops
ANIDBN, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear NickyPoops,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Regarding the Wi-fi access as mentioned our IT specialist will look into possibilities to extent further.

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience your experienced when taking a shower. Water gets splashed all over due to the glass screen.

We do offer various activities on property such as water aerobics, motorized and non-motorized sports activities just to name a few. In addition we do offer daily Yoga classes at our sister property at Banyan Tree.

I am very happy to note that you enjoyed your short break with us.

We are looking very much forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan in the future.

Best Regards,

Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent: the beach, clean white sand, warm quite clear water, even on a busy long weekend there was plenty of empty space
Good: pool, rooms, staff service
Bad: Expensive food, $7.50 for a coffee
Ugly: ATV vehicles from marine centre nearly ran us over whilst we were sleeping on the sand, and proceeded to drive up and down past us. We complained, and to the hotels credit, we noticed that it ceased the next day

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My girlfriends and I booked a 2-bedroom suite over the long weekend and the service provided to us from start to end was just excellent.

We easily identified our land transfer upon reaching Bintan ferry terminal because they were continuously calling out Angsana/Banyan Tree. There was no hurry to board the shuttle; we just need to let them know when we were ready. Check-in was a breeze. Though we were slightly earlier than the check-in time, we waited less than 30mins before we were escorted to our room. The complimentary lemongrass drink was heavenly. Wifi strength was great. Room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. As the spas were full at Angsana, we opt for an external massage package. The receptionist was prompt in helping us contact the spa to come pick us up. We were basically just chauffeured from place to place.

Breakfast buffet spread could have been better but generally better than the average hotel. Prices of food were slightly overpriced for the average quality but then, you can always choose to eat out at Pasar Oleh Oleh (only 2 restaurants). Ask the receptionist if they can call the restaurant to pick you up. If they can't, know for sure that they provide a complimentary ride back to your resort after your meal!

Beach is beautiful but look out for sand flies and tar balls. The pool provides insect repellent and will encourage you to put it on before going to the beach.

If you're looking for an adventurous time, I'm not sure this is the resort for you. Not much water sports available based on what I saw but I could be wrong. Overall, not a bad place to chill and hang out. I personally think it's more a place for families with young kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Went to Bintan for the long weekend from Singapore. Booked the 5* Angsana. It advertises itself as a 5* Resort.
Location was on a private beach next to the Banyan Tree. Beautiful wide sandy beach with a very gradual slope. Ideal for young children and families. Beach cleaned every day...twice after each high tide. Immaculate with clear warm water. Lots of little fish darting around especially by the rocks. Ideallic setting for long walks on the fine sand. Although was warned about tar globules and advised of cleaning methods and stations, did not have any problems along the whole beach the 4 days we were there. Was also advised about sand flies and sachets of insect repellent was available by the towel pick up, we didn't find that there was a problem during our stay.
Room wise, although clean, tired and in desperate need of an upgrade. Bathrooms need remodelling. Who has baths with glass screens anymore...what about a walk in or even just a shower area. Water splashed all over when showering! No amenities other than soap, shampoo and conditioner. You would expect at least a shower cap and some cotton buds and cotton balls if not anything else. Highly disappointing for such a calibre of hotel. The essential oil burner is a nice touch...a la Banyan Tree but the maid forgot to put any oil in it one day and was just heating water!!
Breakfast included and OK. Nothing to write home about. Staff slow. Had coffee on first day and no one refilled the cup. Plates left on table for long periods, food slow to be replenished. Juices diluted and warm. Selection could be improved.
On first night when we came back from dinner wanted to borrow a torch to go for a walk along the beach. Reception said that we could not as it was not safe and they could not spare someone to escort us!! Asked to see the duty manager who explained that as it had been raining it could be slippery...on the beach??!! Eventually, he brought us a torch and was prepared to escort us to the beach which I politely declined and said we were quite capable of walking along the sand on our own!! it was a lovaly stroll by the way, warm sand and quiet with a star studded sky!
Restaurants wise...had lunch at the Pantai Beach restaurant. Had a beef sandwich and drinks. Asked for mustard when they brought the meal from the waiter. No one came back to me. All looked busy rushing around. I started eating my meal. Half way through, I caught another waiter and told him I was still waiting for mustard. Once again disappeared and no one came back. I finished my meal as it was going cold. Finally, when I had finished, a waiter came to collect our plates and asked how was our meal. i told him about the two requests and said that no one came back to me about the mustard. He apologised and went off and came back to say that the kitchen had run out of mustard. He told the manager and was told to take a drink off our bill due to the inconvenience. The manager didn't even have the curtesy to come over and speak to me. The meal would have been better with a bit of mustard but I was made to feel that I didn't matter and the staff were not responsive...by the way, at breakfast the next morning there was a huge bowl of mustart...which lends me to think that the staff either couldn't be bothered or forgot.
We had dinner in the Lotus Cafe...an Indonesian buffet. On this occasion, it was lovely. Staff friendly and attentive, food good, great selection and we really enjoyed it. What a difference! We enjoyed our meal very much.
The spa was great. We spent an afternoon there. Same standard as the Banyan Tree as they are trained in the same place. Lovely staff and a great relaxing time. Highly recommended.
Benny the activities manager is great. Very enthusiastic and would wish most guests each day and encourage them to use the facilities. Making a point of coming and having a chat. A great ambassador for the property. If only the other staff were half as good!!
Check out was a bit of a nightmare. We had gone on a busy weekend and the hotel was full. The hotel must have known about this and should have been more prepared!! Check-out was labourious and took over 20 minutes. Lack of staff and trying to check-in and out at the same time. Queues. Person who checked me out didn't even ask how was our stay...I heard some others did. Not impressed. I could get that sort of service at any 3* hotel.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay. The beach and location made up for it. Staff...some are great, others so so. Everything is expensive by the time you add the 21% tax and service and everything in the hotel is priced in US$.
The Angsana advertises that it is 5*, I would disagree...4* Resort would be an accurate description. Would we go back...probably not. If we were to do so it would be to the sister hotel next door...for a few dollars more, you get the personal service and a genuine 5* experience.

1 Thank PKKC
ANIDBN, Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear PKKC,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of all my team, please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you were caused during your stay with us recently.

In regards to your comments on the room please note that Angsana Bintan completed the renovation in 2011.

In addition to the existing in room bathroom amenities as mentioned our associates would have been delighted to deliver to your room a shower cap, cotton buds, cotton balls and whatever else you require.

Regarding the forgotten oil at the essential oil burner I briefed the respective department in order to prevent any similar incident occurring in the future.

I also regret to read your dissatisfaction with our food and beverage service in Pantai Grill restaurant particularly, such as slow service, not attentive and not responsive, I personally briefed
our Food & Beverages Manager to take the necessary corrective measures to ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

It is so nice to read that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and your positive comments in regards to the dinner and our associates at the Lotus restaurant, the spa and the beach, I have not missed to share your encouraging feedback with the team. It certainly made everyone proud and especially Benny from our recreation team. He was very happy to have received such a high praise from your good self.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in Angsana Bintan in the future.

Sincerely yours,