“Could be better”
Review of Angsana Bintan

Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My girlfriends and I (four of us) booked the 2 bedroom suite for the period 2 August to 4 August. No complaints about the room itself, it was acceptable . I thought it a bit expensive for the kind of finishing touches provided. What was a major peeve though was that even though they clearly knew there were 4 of us, the hotel still limited wi-fi access to three devices!!! And apparently this was a rule that could not be changed??

For the price we pay, these days it would not be unreasonable for wi-fi at least to be provided based on number of people in the room. Management of the hotel if you are reading this please do something about it...

Aside from this, the hotel was otherwise enjoyable for a short break... the breakfast spread was not as lavish as we had expected again for the prices we pay....would probably not go back unless there was some promotion. Also the shower should be redone ....as the glass screen does not work and water gets splashed all over....

Bintan island itself has nothing much to offer so the hotel must be better as most times would be spent there... perhaps the hotel could provide some activities such as yoga class or more...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NickyPoops
ANIDBN, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear NickyPoops,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Regarding the Wi-fi access as mentioned our IT specialist will look into possibilities to extent further.

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience your experienced when taking a shower. Water gets splashed all over due to the glass screen.

We do offer various activities on property such as water aerobics, motorized and non-motorized sports activities just to name a few. In addition we do offer daily Yoga classes at our sister property at Banyan Tree.

I am very happy to note that you enjoyed your short break with us.

We are looking very much forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan in the future.

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for Angsana Bintan

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent: the beach, clean white sand, warm quite clear water, even on a busy long weekend there was plenty of empty space
Good: pool, rooms, staff service
Bad: Expensive food, $7.50 for a coffee
Ugly: ATV vehicles from marine centre nearly ran us over whilst we were sleeping on the sand, and proceeded to drive up and down past us. We complained, and to the hotels credit, we noticed that it ceased the next day

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My girlfriends and I booked a 2-bedroom suite over the long weekend and the service provided to us from start to end was just excellent.

We easily identified our land transfer upon reaching Bintan ferry terminal because they were continuously calling out Angsana/Banyan Tree. There was no hurry to board the shuttle; we just need to let them know when we were ready. Check-in was a breeze. Though we were slightly earlier than the check-in time, we waited less than 30mins before we were escorted to our room. The complimentary lemongrass drink was heavenly. Wifi strength was great. Room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. As the spas were full at Angsana, we opt for an external massage package. The receptionist was prompt in helping us contact the spa to come pick us up. We were basically just chauffeured from place to place.

Breakfast buffet spread could have been better but generally better than the average hotel. Prices of food were slightly overpriced for the average quality but then, you can always choose to eat out at Pasar Oleh Oleh (only 2 restaurants). Ask the receptionist if they can call the restaurant to pick you up. If they can't, know for sure that they provide a complimentary ride back to your resort after your meal!

Beach is beautiful but look out for sand flies and tar balls. The pool provides insect repellent and will encourage you to put it on before going to the beach.

If you're looking for an adventurous time, I'm not sure this is the resort for you. Not much water sports available based on what I saw but I could be wrong. Overall, not a bad place to chill and hang out. I personally think it's more a place for families with young kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Went to Bintan for the long weekend from Singapore. Booked the 5* Angsana. It advertises itself as a 5* Resort.
Location was on a private beach next to the Banyan Tree. Beautiful wide sandy beach with a very gradual slope. Ideal for young children and families. Beach cleaned every day...twice after each high tide. Immaculate with clear warm water. Lots of little fish darting around especially by the rocks. Ideallic setting for long walks on the fine sand. Although was warned about tar globules and advised of cleaning methods and stations, did not have any problems along the whole beach the 4 days we were there. Was also advised about sand flies and sachets of insect repellent was available by the towel pick up, we didn't find that there was a problem during our stay.
Room wise, although clean, tired and in desperate need of an upgrade. Bathrooms need remodelling. Who has baths with glass screens anymore...what about a walk in or even just a shower area. Water splashed all over when showering! No amenities other than soap, shampoo and conditioner. You would expect at least a shower cap and some cotton buds and cotton balls if not anything else. Highly disappointing for such a calibre of hotel. The essential oil burner is a nice touch...a la Banyan Tree but the maid forgot to put any oil in it one day and was just heating water!!
Breakfast included and OK. Nothing to write home about. Staff slow. Had coffee on first day and no one refilled the cup. Plates left on table for long periods, food slow to be replenished. Juices diluted and warm. Selection could be improved.
On first night when we came back from dinner wanted to borrow a torch to go for a walk along the beach. Reception said that we could not as it was not safe and they could not spare someone to escort us!! Asked to see the duty manager who explained that as it had been raining it could be slippery...on the beach??!! Eventually, he brought us a torch and was prepared to escort us to the beach which I politely declined and said we were quite capable of walking along the sand on our own!! it was a lovaly stroll by the way, warm sand and quiet with a star studded sky!
Restaurants wise...had lunch at the Pantai Beach restaurant. Had a beef sandwich and drinks. Asked for mustard when they brought the meal from the waiter. No one came back to me. All looked busy rushing around. I started eating my meal. Half way through, I caught another waiter and told him I was still waiting for mustard. Once again disappeared and no one came back. I finished my meal as it was going cold. Finally, when I had finished, a waiter came to collect our plates and asked how was our meal. i told him about the two requests and said that no one came back to me about the mustard. He apologised and went off and came back to say that the kitchen had run out of mustard. He told the manager and was told to take a drink off our bill due to the inconvenience. The manager didn't even have the curtesy to come over and speak to me. The meal would have been better with a bit of mustard but I was made to feel that I didn't matter and the staff were not responsive...by the way, at breakfast the next morning there was a huge bowl of mustart...which lends me to think that the staff either couldn't be bothered or forgot.
We had dinner in the Lotus Cafe...an Indonesian buffet. On this occasion, it was lovely. Staff friendly and attentive, food good, great selection and we really enjoyed it. What a difference! We enjoyed our meal very much.
The spa was great. We spent an afternoon there. Same standard as the Banyan Tree as they are trained in the same place. Lovely staff and a great relaxing time. Highly recommended.
Benny the activities manager is great. Very enthusiastic and would wish most guests each day and encourage them to use the facilities. Making a point of coming and having a chat. A great ambassador for the property. If only the other staff were half as good!!
Check out was a bit of a nightmare. We had gone on a busy weekend and the hotel was full. The hotel must have known about this and should have been more prepared!! Check-out was labourious and took over 20 minutes. Lack of staff and trying to check-in and out at the same time. Queues. Person who checked me out didn't even ask how was our stay...I heard some others did. Not impressed. I could get that sort of service at any 3* hotel.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay. The beach and location made up for it. Staff...some are great, others so so. Everything is expensive by the time you add the 21% tax and service and everything in the hotel is priced in US$.
The Angsana advertises that it is 5*, I would disagree...4* Resort would be an accurate description. Would we go back...probably not. If we were to do so it would be to the sister hotel next door...for a few dollars more, you get the personal service and a genuine 5* experience.

1  Thank PKKC
ANIDBN, Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear PKKC,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of all my team, please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you were caused during your stay with us recently.

In regards to your comments on the room please note that Angsana Bintan completed the renovation in 2011.

In addition to the existing in room bathroom amenities as mentioned our associates would have been delighted to deliver to your room a shower cap, cotton buds, cotton balls and whatever else you require.

Regarding the forgotten oil at the essential oil burner I briefed the respective department in order to prevent any similar incident occurring in the future.

I also regret to read your dissatisfaction with our food and beverage service in Pantai Grill restaurant particularly, such as slow service, not attentive and not responsive, I personally briefed
our Food & Beverages Manager to take the necessary corrective measures to ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

It is so nice to read that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and your positive comments in regards to the dinner and our associates at the Lotus restaurant, the spa and the beach, I have not missed to share your encouraging feedback with the team. It certainly made everyone proud and especially Benny from our recreation team. He was very happy to have received such a high praise from your good self.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in Angsana Bintan in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was my second visit to Angsana Bintan since 2006. We had a good spa session then. The spa is still good. However, I was appalled by the limited spread of the BBQ international buffet on Friday night (09/08/13) which costs USD$36 per pax. Pieces of randomly chopped roasted chicken, bite-sized beef chops, fish fillet, beef sausage (similar to morning breakfast). I asked for drumsticks like what guests from other nationalities asked for as well. The chef told me, "No drumstick!" Quite shocked and disappointed by then. Discrimination perhaps? 1.5L mineral water costs USD$7-8. Waiters and waitresses were quite pushy in asking us to order for drinks. The supervisor happened to ask me how was my dinner at the 'right time'. I shared with him what I felt about the dinner. I would like to thank him for offering some compensation. However, I strongly feel that there is a need to write this review to advise guests going to Angsana Bintan to try the spa and maybe their ala-carte meal items only. Not the buffet unless they improve on the quality and spread of the food for BBQ buffet. Better food is available out of the resort at Pasar Oleh Oleh.

1  Thank yyyang

Dear Yyyang,
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay in Angsana Bintan on Trip Advisor.

It concerns us greatly to read your comments in regards to your experience at our resort recently and I sincerely regret that we have failed to meet your expectations. It is our objective to meet and actually exceed the expectations of our customers and I am sorry that in this particular case we have certainly fell short.

Please rest assured that your feedback in regards to our Fridays BBQ International Buffet quality and quantity has been shared with the department heads concerned for improvement.

We were delighted to read your positive comments about our Spa. I have not missed to share your encouraging feedback with the team. It certainly made everyone proud; on behalf of my team here Thank you very much!
Once again, thank you for providing us with your feedback as it is only through the feedback such as these that we can properly evaluate and improve our performance.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our beautiful resort.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is an overdue entry for my visit back couple of months for a event. I have to say that the service from Angsana Bintan was excellent and my friends and I definitely enjoyed ourselves while we were there.

Accommodation was spacious and clean - most rooms were renovated and the room is always made. It's always a good surprise to see your clothes folded nicely on the bed after you've walked out for 5-10minutes and back. The bathroom was also lighted with candles to clear off any odor that could linger.

We made arrangement to have a dinner set-up at the beach with buffet option. The setup was good and the atmosphere was very romantic with a bar counter set up and buffet with chef and the gigantic moon that night played a very part as well while the sea waves splashes.. That said, the food wasn't commendable that night as compared to our recce session. It seems like the chef didn't had time to prepare. However, I have to mention that the tomato bread (which is not on the menu) at Pantai grill is good. In fact, it was so good, I asked if I could buy 3 loafs on the way back!

I personally prefer the food at Banyan Tree Bintan. Since Banyan Tree & Angsana are under the same umbrella, you can simply go to any of the Banyan Tree's restaurants and ask them to charge it to your room.

Activities wise, we enjoyed the ATVs very much, especially through the jungle trek. Couple of my friends were less adept at the route and the instructors being nice people, decided to give them a lift! Haha. It was an awesome experience.

Service wise, I can not say enough how good the service was while we're there. We were given drinks and to rest at the Veranda lobby upon arrival and very good service was given throughout the entire 2 days. Two incidents highlighted the kind of good service they have though.

One - My friend was vomiting badly with fever after dinner on Day 1. Another friend tried to get him pills from the counter but they helped to looked for a doctor! Then, my friend had to leave earlier because of this and Angsana promptly made all the arrangements - at no extra charges.

Two - One of my friend forgot about his car keys in the safe at Angsana upon reaching Singapore. His car was at Tanah Merah Ferry terminal and quite a distance from his home so he was worried - for having to replace the keys and to retrieve the car by making an extra trip to the ferry terminal. Then he tried calling Angsana and they not only kept his car keys but delivered that very night to the ferry terminal! Turned out that they had a sales manager coming to Singapore and it was very lucky for him.

I haven't met any resorts/hotels that goes to this extent in terms of hospitality and throughout the entire trip I felt very safe and happy to meet the staffs from Angsana. Thank you for making our trip an enjoyable one!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Being so accustomed with Angsana Spa and Banyan Tree standards, this particular Angsana Spa Bintan was a huge let down.
We have paid for SG589++ for a night only to be given with very poor standards in service and bad quality of food. Arrival experience was a disappointment, we were told that our room is located level 3 and you may find your way up. Next thing we found out that our room was assigned next where there is a Engineering work in progress. The smell of the paint and varnish was enough to put you down to sleep and was too strong that we ended up with a migraine. When asked for a room change, the response has urgency and not even a SORRY from the Duty Manager. She is still trying to argue that as if we are in the wrong.
In the evening we went to the coffee house called Lotus Cafe and wanted to try on the BBQ promotion. The quality of the food was so degrading to the brand itself, let alone the promotion said it was BBQ but you only see total of 4 poulty items and 1 fish as the BBQ, while the rest are the pretty average normal local dish buffet. The quality of meat used are like recycled and has been around fro a number of times. The only plus point is the group of singer who goes around and serenade the diners.
Overall, it was a huge mistake spending total of SG1000 just for a night. This amount alone can go a long way with Nirwana Group.
Having stayed in almost all the 5 star hotels and resort in Bintan, this is the worst experience ever. It is degrading for the Banyan Tree Group. No standards + no quality = Poor Experience.

Room Tip: For those who are willing to pay for high price - NOT WORTH IT!!! Better go to Mayang Sari and othe...
2  Thank BarletJones
ibnu M, Front Office Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Mr. BarletJones,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable service provided to you in our hotel.
We are most concerned with our standard to meet our guests expectation & satisfaction. your comments on our service standards and quality of food have been taken seriously and I have addressed to all my team in Angsana Bintan.
I also would like to express my most sincere regret of duty staff who were not able to extend the best service on your request of room’s changing. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us as it helps us to improve the quality of our service to better meet your need.
However we are very pleased to read that you appreciate the entertainment of our strolling musician and on behalf of them; Thank you so much.
I certainly hope this experience will not alter your confidence in Angsana Bintan and that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again.

Sincerely yours,