Lowest prices for your stay
$553
Hotels.com$553
Official Site$450
getaroom.com$591
2,474 results
All reviews on the rocks pool villa villa host ferry terminal buggy service buggy drivers villa bbq thai restaurant ocean view the south china sea day bed star resort beautiful resort service staff emerald class f b spa treatments
Selected filters
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Spent one night at this hotel in Bintan. The room we booked certainly wasn't one of the most expensive but the views it offered and the private hot tub were amazing. The only quam I had with this property is that it's been around for a while now and the fitting in the rooms (TV, music etc.) are very very dated. We had an old tiny CRT TV in our room after spending a fair amount of money on this room.

That being said, the property is stunning and the staff very helpful. The pools were excellent and water at the beach was very clear and nice.

Special note should be made of the effort they make to preserve the environment. I think we need more main stream hotels to make an effort like this.

All in all I would love to try another Banyan Tree property but, I can't do it too often on account of the price : )!

Date of stay: March 2010
1  Thank VH03
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The resort itself is the Gem, which includes the Villa ( The Sanctuary Pool Villa) with the most incredible, infinity pool overlooking the South China Sea. The resort is surrounded by and within the beautiful rain-forest which is home to exotic wildlife. The villa was beautifully furnished keeping within the Indonesian traditional furnishing, yet with the latest up to date amenities. The quality of linen and manchester was of very high quality and extremely clean. The bed was so comfortable we wish we could have brought it back home with us!! All the staff, from every sector, were at all times polite, friendly, capable and efficient, with the restaurant, housekeeping and buggy drivers staff taking out the No ! Award!! We were made to feel exceptionally special at all times. The house keeping staff attended to our every need, before we even asked and went to extra ordinary length to make our anniversary celebration extremely memorable. Thank you Banyan Tree Bintan Staff - one and all!

Date of stay: October 2010
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Bintan is just a short ferry ride from Singapore and that makes it one of the top choices for a short break over a long weekend. We chose Banyan Tree and we did not regret it at all. This hotel sure knows how to pamper their guests. They provide limo service right at our house's doorstep to the ferry terminal and from the time you disembark from the ferry at Bintan, it was all the way 5 star service on their part. We loved our 2 bedroom Sanctuary pool villa that gives us a postcard view we often see in any Banyan Tree Bintan brochures. We tried their spa service at their spa pavilion and it was so good we wished we had booked another time slot but they were fully booked for that period we were there. We had room service a couple of times and the services were very fast and efficient, not forgetting to mention that their in room dining menu offers great choices to choose from. We dined at all of their restaurants- Saffron, Cove, Treetops and discovered they more than meet our expectation of a good 5 star restaurant. Even while writing our review now, we wished we were still in the hotel enjoying another fantastic short work break. Rest assured we will be back soon!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank kenneth1613
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Its brand name promises unadulterated luxury and service. Sadly, while the resort was more than comfortable (and possibly one of the better resorts I've stayed at), the experience was a little underwhelming for what I thought would be the epitome of indulgence that Banyan is often said to offer.

On a preliminary note, my stay at Banyan Bintan was at a heavy discount and as such, I cannot comment on matters such as price and value, suffice to say (and this is my personal opinion) that I would not pay full price to stay here.

Our group of 4 shared a 2 bedroom villa. The villa was spacious, with a beautiful pool overlooking the sea. One step into our villa and we were sold. We also loved the day beds which were perfect for languid lounging with a glass of wine or beer in hand. We enjoyed a lovely in-villa BBQ dinner prepared by a chef/waiter (gotta pay extra for this service, but money well spent unless you enjoy DIYing your BBQ and don't mind risking overcooking your meats!). Normal room service was fantastic as well and I must commend Banyan for that.

Rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious but this is the minimum standard to expect at any famous resort. We were not impressed however, with the odd smell in one of our bathrooms - a problem which was quickly attended to only to surface again the next morning, and with a vengeance. The air-conditioning unit in my bedroom was leaking.

While it may be easy to forget that the resort is actually in a forest, the sight of torn opened bags of chips and half-eaten fruits left outside the villa in the morning is sure to remind you that you are in fact in a forest together with wild animals. The monkeys sure had a party and a feast while we were sleeping. So please do not leave food and valuables outdoors! It would have been nice if the staff reminded us of this, even though it might seem like common sense not to leave food lying around.

The restaurants and even the pool aren't anything to shout about. I was also not terribly impressed by the normal villa for couples, the design looked slightly dated to me.

However, the service did make up for the little disappointments along the way. We were given a hospitality room to rest while we waited for the last ferry back to Singapore. This was a kind gesture, which we did appreciate very much. Also, the service staff were always friendly and smiley (even if they did forget our breakfast order of eggs in the morning).

Hope this review did not dampen your expectations of Banyan too much (I am somewhat critical or discerning, depending on how you look at it...). All in all however, if price is not an issue, Banyan Tree Bintan makes for a good and easy getaway from Singapore. I would however like to experience the other Banyan big boys before making a judgment on the entire group. I somehow feel that Banyan Bintan might not have done complete justice to the group.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2010

To set this straight, we actually stayed in Angsana next door. But we went to Saffron Restaurant at Banyan Tree for dinner and here's how our supposedly romantic dinner turned into one of the worst dining experience of all time.

We were both martini lovers so ordered their signature lycheetini and lemongrass martini. While there were some variations in the ingredients, we could not accept the fact that the lycheetini tasted super sour while the lemongrass martini tasted just like plain vodka.

We raised the issue with a waiter named Albert. To our astonishment, he actually said the martinis were fine because they sold 4 glasses on that day! I mean, I and my wife are true martini lovers who often go to Morton's (a renowned American steakhouse which serves great martinis around the world) for drinks. In fact, I make martinis at home so I just know that the bartender actually got the proportions wrong. Furthermore, martinis are supposed to be made by glasses. Just because the past 4 glasses were fine (assuming Albert was telling the truth) did not guarantee our glasses were fine too, unless the martinis all came from the same jug (I hope not).

We raised the issue on the belief that they would do something about it. But instead Albert was extremely defensive and insisted that while they could try to make another martini for us closer to how we liked it, we could not swap the lousy martinis for other drinks. This is totally unacceptable to any hotel, much less Banyan Tree.

To be fair, they did make another lycheetini based on our advice (yes I had to tell them the relative proportions between lychee juice and vodka, while taking out the lemongrass juice that turned the first drink into a "sour" nightmare), and it turned out to be ok. But you can imagine how upset we were feeling already.

Our main course was grilled duck in red curry. The curry was fine, though there was some strange smell in the meat. So we highlighted this to a waitress (whose name is Siska) and she said she would check with the chef. After a good 10 minutes, we were not given any response. So we asked Siska on her findings. All she said was that the meat was processed properly, without apologising or trying to do anything to make up for disappointing meal.

Just when we got fed up and asked for the bill, another waiter Leon came and asked what happened. I mean, we were clearly upset and the last thing we wanted to do was to recall the whole miserable story. Well, in the spirit of offering our perspective on the problems, we did just that. Guess what? Leon would not do anything to please us but instead told the restaurant manager (who was not there on a Saturday evening dinner time) our disappointing experience.

In a nutshell, we were totally appalled by the service standards at Saffron of Banyan Tree Bintan. The food was certainly underwhelming too. The last thing a service provider should do when a customer raises an issue is to be defensive. A little empathy would have gone a long distance. That quality was extremely lacking in the service staff there.

We have been to Ayana, a resort at Bali which is supposedly in the same class as Banyan Tree. Throughout our 4-day stay at Ayana, we were greeted with great food and impeccable service. There is every reason for Banyan Tree to offer something similar. Sadly we were wrong. It's up to the management and staff of Banyan Tree to improve, otherwise it will be labelled as an expensive but snobbish resort.

3  Thank Agi1124
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2010

Dear Grey0eun,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to Saffron Restaurant at Banyan Tree Bintan.

Please accept my unreserved apologies for the disappointment you have experienced during your dinner with the assurance that we continuously strive to improve our product based on feedback such as yours.

It is indeed disheartening to know our product and service were not to your expectations especially the quality of service from our team and the quality of food and beverage in Saffron restaurant. These have been raised to our F&B Director and Executive Chef for them to look into ways of eliminating such incidents from occurring again.

Once again, my apologies for these lapses.

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I certainly do hope that despite these, you had a relaxing stay at our sister hotel, Angsana Bintan. We also hope to have the honour of welcoming you to Banyan Tree Bintan, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable Banyan Tree experience.

Kind Regards,