“Relaxing and friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
Glasgow, Scotland
“Relaxing and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2009

Recently stayed at this hotel and we had a great stay. Usually do not comment on hotel stays but I feel some of the reviews below are unfair on this property.

The staff were extremely friendly and all knew our names after a couple of days. Staff were dressed smartly in different traditional uniforms and although maybe lacking the experience of other 5 star hotel staff, they did go out of their way to help us.

We would recommend the yoga classes in private villas - incredible.

Would not recommend the hotel next door - Angsana. Has a nice pool but the food was pretty awful.

The insects did not really bother us. We did see a 6ft monitor lizard though which was pretty creepy.

The Cove restaurant seemed to have the best food for our tastes in the Banyan Tree. Although wines were an extortionate price (I suppose they did have to be shipped from Europe).

If you are looking for a relaxing quiet stay then this is the place but if you are looking for incredible luxury then you may look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlobalTraveller26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at this resort for 2 nights, paying US$650 per night for the privilege. We intended to have a very relaxing, pampering weekend away from Singapore and took the Catamaran in under one hour. No-one could accuse it of being inconvenient from Singapore, but it's geographical proximity and the views from our villa were all it had going for it.

*ANNOYANCES*

Firstly, let me deal with the pest issue. I had read that insect repellant was a necessity - this is an understatement. If you are at all insect-phobic like me, then this isn't the place for you. There were the following: Mosquitoes (possibly carrying Malaria or Dengue Fever), Sand Flies on the beaches, Beetles (?) in our pool, 3 or 4 different types of ants in our outside area, a miscellaneous insect crawling the walls in our living room, and what I think was a Preying Mantis in our bedroom. In addition there were harmless lizards on the outside walls picking off insects, bats, and one morning a green snake heading up into our raised eating area.

It would be an understatement to say that I found this stressful, and therefore affected my partner who could also not relax. In addition to this, there was constant building work on the roof of another villa, with contractor voices, hammering, drilling and electrical saw noise to soothe us while we swam or sunbathed. It's a shame that they don't maintain the general upkeep of the villas though, as our kitchen had a hole in the mosquito net, was crawling with ants, and many of the patio doors had gaps allowing insects into the bedroom, living room and dressing areas.

On Saturday night there was also a hardcore disco rave going on in one of the adjoining resorts. At 2am, as we could not sleep, I called reception to complain and they told me it was nothing to do with them and that it should finish around 4am!!! I asked them to call the resort to complain and the only way we could get to sleep was by using ear plugs. God help anyone who was trying to sleep actually IN that resort as their bed would have been bouncing!

Generally though, when it came to accommodation, I didn't think the decor to be dated as others have said, but appropriate for the setting. The facilities were enjoyable (Infinity pool, Jacuzzi) - if I could move it somewhere else....

*FOOD*

The food... ugh! Where do I begin. I don't know if this is a problem with Indonesia, or whether it was a problem with this particular resort, but the food (for the most part) was vile! Far from 5 star luxury.

The first night we dined at Saffron (Indonesian/Thai) and this was quite nice actually, though expensive. It was pretty-much meat in peanut sauce, and the staff were attentive. The next day we went to the included "American Breakfast" at Tree Tops... oh dear. What was American about it I do not know... but it was nothing like any breakfast I've had when I've visited the US - the closest was when I stayed at a 2 star resort in Turkey when I was younger.

It was a buffet breakfast, with cooked meats, a pancake/waffle station, 'champagne' cocktails, juices (no apple), and hot items (including asian selections, Chicken Sausages [think bland hot dogs], mashed potato on an undercooked potato slice). I then asked them to make me some scrambled eggs but they were bland and had a large piece of shell in them. When I complained the server looked like she could care less.

Continuing with breakfast, the following day we ordered in to our villa as there were more options (like bacon!) and paid the US$8 delivery charge. V-I-L-E. Starving after dinner the night before (see below) we ordered a large selection of things. The bacon was tasteless (like cardboard), the sausages were still chicken dogs, the eggs still bland and the pastries only attracted the attention of the tiny spider-mites that seemed to come with the delivery (table was wiped down before it was set up). Oh, and the hash-browns were raw and soaked in what tasted like very old grease!

Now, dinner on the second night we decided to try the beach BBQ at the sister resort hotel. They drove us over there, and we sat by the beach. The only positive thing I have to say about this was that there were no bugs!

The deal was you select what you want within a 2 hours sitting. I had a caesar salad (my partner had potato and leek soup), we both then had chicken breast with raw potato gratin (the guy working the counter hacked the [dry] chicken like he'd never handled a carving knife before. Training is clearly in order!!) followed by BBQ items from the grill: a small steak (100g?) which was 'ok', and then a lamb kebab which was pretty bad. Both in the same ketchup-based sauce. I tried dessert which was a warm chocolate cake. Just awful. I had one mouth-full and pushed it away. When we asked to pay so we could leave (just 50 minutes into our 2 hours) I was told I was "still eating". I simply said I'd had enough -- don't get me started on the Mexican Mariachi Band singing the Beatles, Elvis and "You are sooo byoooteefoool toooo-rrr meee!" at tables with couples - Cringe-worthy.

*SPA*

As part of the relaxation weekend we'd planned, we wanted to make use of the Spa. First thing was my partner wanted a hair cut. Insanely, though, their hairdresser doesn't work Saturdays. When we tried to make an appointment for Sunday we were told they were full. When we tried to book spa treatments, we were told they only had 1hr for 1 person on Saturday, and could only fit us in after 5pm on Sunday. We were checking out at 2pm... What a letdown. Hire more staff!

*STAFF*

I found them to be courteous and welcoming. There were a few awkward moments when people clearly expected a tip but there was a huge service charge added to the accommodation costs to cover this. Where the service fell down was on pro-activeness. The first night we had to ask for someone to come out as they had not set up the insect repellants (electric indoors and burning coils outdoors). Also the servers at the BBQ were more interested in having fun together and putting on their favourite songs than looking and acting professional.

*DISCOUNT*

I have a list of the things I was going to complain about but it is buried at the bottom of my case. I hope I've remembered everything. I seem very negative, but when you are paying this much for a supposed-five-star experience, everything that isn't done right is a real annoyance.

I had planned to write a letter to Banyan Tree complaining about everything (which I will probably still do) but decided to raise the problems at check out. All I got to was the noise from the rave and the construction noise and the manager discounted our room rate substantially. It was still the most expensive weekend away we have every had and one of the worst.

I wouldn't recommend this place and I won't be back to Indonesia or to any Banyan Tree (which might be unfair, but this experience has tarnished my view of the brand).

Banyan Tree in Bintan clearly need to up their game in terms of facilities and the quality of the food on offer. The guests might be a captive audience, but giving them such awful food simply means you don't get repeat business and you get very very bad word of mouth.

PS: I have marked "No" to Free High Speed Internet as the Internet was so bad it was impossible to get a Citrix connection to log into work, meaning that this in fact increased stress levels. I also marked "No" to Fitness Centre as there was a small offering or a few machines... they really need to invest in a proper gym!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank twogwailos
BTGroup, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at Banyan Tree Bintan as this assists us in improving our service and facilities.

We apologize for the disappointments that you experienced during your stay at our property.

The resort is situated in an unique environment where the jungle meets the South China Sea. Great lengths were taken during the construction of the property so as to keep as much of the natural vegetation and wildlife as possible. However, we do also have a full pest control program in place but we try not to harm the original surroundings. We do enjoy many favorable comments to this effect but sadly this was not the case for your good selves and we apologize for any discomfort caused.

Our menus have been designed based on comments from past guests and we will certainly have the food and beverage management team review in detail the points you have raised. We have been fortunate to receive a lot of positive reviews on our cuisine; we are sorry you did not find our dining options and food to your liking.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the resort so that we can make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Kind regards,

Andrew Langston
Area General Manager
Banyan Tree Bintan
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

The banyan tree hotel is perfect for couples. We found the spa to be a top spa with a fantastic range of treatments and very well trained therapists. The products smelled divine. It was a little expensive but we also got so much out of our treatments that the value for money was still high.

The food was a little disappointing as it was no as authentic as we had hoped. We wanted to try many more local dishes but everything seemed to be tasting the same. Still overall a fantastic holiday that we can recommend.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jamiegg55
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

What an amazing trip, and what an amazing hotel!

From the moment they greet you at the Ferry Terminal to the moment they wave you bye on your departure I can not speak more highly of the staff at the Banyan Tree. They made my partner and I feel completely comfortable and that our every wish was possible.

There service is only second to the hotel itself which is a series of beautiful art stills in real life!!

Nothing more to be said, but a wonderful hotel and staff. You must also try one of the Dinner Experiences they are what the they claim them to be. Also the spa is heaven!!

If a dream is to have some fallings, it is an older resort as opposed to brand new and slightly expensive for the region. But is still well above the normal "5 star" standard and comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. There is no price on class and beauty!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aussieeuro27
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

We booked this on the day we arrived whilst already staying in Singapore, we booked a basic Villa but on arrival found ourselves upgraded to the top Pool Spa Villa, whilst absolutely beautiful and we could not have asked for more had I been paying over US$1000 a night for this as per the website I would have been disappointed, whilst undeniably beautiful the humidity is taking it's toll with many parts of the villa looking tatty & jaded, especially the bathrooms/outdoor bath, the toiletries provided are merely cheap local products topped up into lacklustre bottles, not what I'd expect from a 5* resort, the beach in Nov was showing the signs of the SCS storms so not really an option but I'm sure had the weather been calmer would have been beautiful, a very very quiet resort due to everyone staying at their own villas, both pools were empty, I was there with a friend and we did feel a little out of place as it is a very "couply" resort aimed at loved up honeymooners, the food was OK but again not 5 star with quite restricted choice the usual local Indonesian choices for breakfast, overall I'm glad I went but also glad it was only for 5 days, think i may have started climbing walls after this or spending FAR too much money in the very expensive Spa

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank SGR36WELSH
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

My husband and I returned to Banyan Tree Bintan In June - just over 2 yrs since our last visit.
We highly recommend NOT going in monsoon season as the ferry trip over can get very very rough. We went in June this time and the ferry trip was seamless - no problems at all.

Again we had a Bayfront Pool villa. As usual it was magnificent. The views, the pool, the butler! All fantastic. Absolutely adore the different things they do to your bed each day - rose petals, origami swans.

The only slight disappointment is that they just dont get what a flat white is! But this is not a huge issue.

We found the food to be good! Not great - we prefer more of a western selection.

This time round we were able to go jet skiing! Unbelievable! The guide took us around the islands on the jet skis and it was the most fun we ever had. We had never jet skiied before and the guide was patient and checked on us constantly.

We intend returning again and again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CLKPerth
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Banyan Tree in Bintan in February 2007. My wife said to me yesterday that if she could go back to any hotel we've avery stayed at, it would be this one. I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong, as people who have stayed a several hotels that claim to be five star hotels, this is a great hotel. I'm sure if you've stayed at multiple Banyan Trees are only go to a hotel if you have your own butler then you'll find holes to pick in the Banyan Tree Bintan. Subject to what I have to say below, the service is very good, particularly around the pool area - we loved the frozen fruit and mini ice creams that were given out in the morning and afternoon by the pool. The restaurants and food served by them were very good.

We stayed in an Ocean View villa which was spacious and well appointed, with beautiful views. Some reviews have said that the villas were dated. I don't know what villas those people had, but for the most part I'd disagree with them. The style of the villas was not, by any stretch of the imagination, cutting edge modern, but, we felt, consistent with the character of the resort.

BUT I have a problem and it is not the first time I have come across this poblem in a hotel that markets itself in the way that Banyan Tree hotels do. If I am paying severl hundred dollars per night (or even if I'm not), I would expect the hotel to get the basics of service and housekeeping right.. Some people may think this is a minor issue, but if you are paying the arates charged by this hotel, you don't expect to be on the phone all the time asking for water to be replenished, new toiletries or for the room to be sprayed for mosquitoes (this is essential in Bintan) when it should have been. These are all basic elements of the housekeeping service and the Banyan Tree should have got these right.

We had a lovely stay at the Banyan Tree, but if could have been perfect if they'd only sort out the basics. Would I go back there again? Not personnaly. For the money, I'm sure there are better places to try out.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple