“Great ... if only they can sort out the basics”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Banyan Tree in Bintan in February 2007. My wife said to me yesterday that if she could go back to any hotel we've avery stayed at, it would be this one. I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong, as people who have stayed a several hotels that claim to be five star hotels, this is a great hotel. I'm sure if you've stayed at multiple Banyan Trees are only go to a hotel if you have your own butler then you'll find holes to pick in the Banyan Tree Bintan. Subject to what I have to say below, the service is very good, particularly around the pool area - we loved the frozen fruit and mini ice creams that were given out in the morning and afternoon by the pool. The restaurants and food served by them were very good.

We stayed in an Ocean View villa which was spacious and well appointed, with beautiful views. Some reviews have said that the villas were dated. I don't know what villas those people had, but for the most part I'd disagree with them. The style of the villas was not, by any stretch of the imagination, cutting edge modern, but, we felt, consistent with the character of the resort.

BUT I have a problem and it is not the first time I have come across this poblem in a hotel that markets itself in the way that Banyan Tree hotels do. If I am paying severl hundred dollars per night (or even if I'm not), I would expect the hotel to get the basics of service and housekeeping right.. Some people may think this is a minor issue, but if you are paying the arates charged by this hotel, you don't expect to be on the phone all the time asking for water to be replenished, new toiletries or for the room to be sprayed for mosquitoes (this is essential in Bintan) when it should have been. These are all basic elements of the housekeeping service and the Banyan Tree should have got these right.

We had a lovely stay at the Banyan Tree, but if could have been perfect if they'd only sort out the basics. Would I go back there again? Not personnaly. For the money, I'm sure there are better places to try out.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 28, 2009

I visited this hotel - staying in a beautiful bungalow, with amazing views and perfect Indonesian styling and touches - with my fiance. Her family had the bungalow next door and we enjoyed an enjoyable, relaxing stay in a perfect, unspoiled location. The bungalows are beautifully styled with indonesian influences - four poster beds with mosquito nets, a beautiful sea view verandah, jacuzzi (plastic - not very indonesian), bathroom and dressing rooms in stone and dark woods. This is apparently the oldest Banyan Tree and the others benefit from more modern touches, but I would struggle to improve the rooms (other than upgrading TV's and aircon) without losing some of the style. Staff are extemely helpful and the two pools and beach are beautiful. The three restaurants were all good, the best meal probably being at the verandah restaurant overlooking the beach (less auspiocious setting, yet great food). Best of all there was a range of activities meaning this was much more than a pool holiday. The Laguna golf course is good, with some amazing holes (greens are a bit small though leading it to be hard). The jet ski safari is an absolute highlight, as was the snorkelling trip. All in all a fantastic 4 days.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I've stayed in Banyan Tree in Bangkok and was amazed so this probably increased my disappointment about this place.

I took my wife here for a long weekend treat expecting luxury, plenty of pampering and wonderful food - we ended up with a lovely room with plastic hotub outside (tacky but fun), no real papering (staff friendly and courteous but not brilliantly trained) and average food that doesn't work out at less than $100 for 2 WITHOUT wine. In fact the poolside food was dreadful - my chicken club sandwich was inedible (dried out chicken and soggy chips) and a pricey US$15 to boot!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
BanyanTreeGroup, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2009

Dear "simon3435",

Thank you for your feedback posted in TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Banyan Tree Bintan.

It was sad to learn that your chicken club sandwich was not to your liking and we have certainly brought this issue to the attention of the Executive Chef so as to ensure improvements are made with this menu item and other comments you have made. Please be assured that the satisfaction of our guests has always been our main focus.

Thank you once again for the comments. We hope that your overall impression with our resort will enable you to stay with us once again in the not too distant future.

Andrew Langston
Area General Manager

Reviewed August 9, 2009

We have stayed at the Banyan Tree in Phuket and Bangkok (3yrs ago) and thought they were fantastic. I have to say my overall view of the Banyan Tree in Bintan is one of disappointment when compaired to the other Banyan Tree hotels or similar class hotels in Asia.

The good points are - arrivals bit at terminal (book emirates class - it makes the visa bit very easy); check-in, friendly staff, fantastic location, beach; free internet access

The not so good are:
- 3 very average (i'm being polite) restaurants;
Tree Tops is fine for breakfast;
Saffron - good (not brilliant or indeed 5*) Asian food, but no outside seating and service questionable;
and The Cove the worst 'European' resort/hotel restaurant ever - food awful, service - poor, decor has to be seen to be believed (no take my word for it)- think 70's Spain; to add any restaurant which plays James Blunt cd's in my opinion should automatically be closed down.
What annoyed me even more was that on Tuesday's they close the Saffron restaurant so you get to choose between The Cove (don't go) or Tree Tops, where in the evenings you get to hear the world's worst 3piece karoke band 'playing' very bad Beatles and Elvis.
Perhaps the Banyan Tree has moved on in 3yrs, but if this karoke band represents the new corporate brand identity, they have got it so wrong.
- Clearly not enough staff / or good chef's in the restaurants
- No proper gym; 3 bits of equipment (only 2 working) in a small non-aircon room is not a gym
- No bar or proper seating area to have pre-dinner drinks or watch the sunset
- Rooms are ok , but look a bit tired
- Expensive vs other 5* places in Asia.

It wasn't great and it definitely isn't 5*

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank stevejfarrow
BanyanTreeGroup, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2009

Dear "swisstoni",

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Banyan Tree Bintan.

It was sad to read that you were dissappointed with some of our facilities. We are fortunate in that we generally receive very positive feedback with regards to our restaurants and we continuously do our best to ensure our guests have a varied selection of cuisine from around the world.

Allow me to share with you that our Saffron restaurant now opens daily. The trio local Indonesian band is considered by the large majority of our guests as being most enjoyable and a positive addition to the resort. They are seen as an added feature and enjoy a strong following by both returning guests and in-house patrons in general, however we are sorry to read that they were not to your liking.

"swisstoni", your patronage and feedback is greatly valued and appreciated. We hope that we are given the opportunity of reinstating ourselves in your good faith by welcoming you back to our lovely resort in the not-too-distant future.

Andrew Langston
Area General Manager

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I recently traveled with my husband and some friends to Bintan to stay at the Banyan Tree and all I can say was "wow". Architecturally stunning, the villa we stayed in was set high on a hill with an infinity pool in between the 2 bedrooms (called Bayfront Villa). Very Indonesian (Bali - like) in style, the rooms were like 5-star huts with a thatch roof and black and white furnishings. I particularly liked the 4 poster bed with mosquito netting, it made me feel we were somewhere exotic. When you entered the villa, there was an asian style eating area which is set higher on a platform and allowed you to look over the pool out to the ocean. We often sat there in the evenings and had room service from one of the resorts dining facilities. As evening rolled in so did the pink sky, which we were in awe of. I have attached a photo of this. The villas are really private and can have you thinking you are the only people on the island. We had a 2 year old with us which we obviously had to keep a watch eye on the entire time ( you need to sign a disclaimer on staying with children at the hotel). To have the views we had, with the private infinity pool, means that this hotel is not a toddlers playground. We only have one child, so this didnt bother us - but I am not sure I could cope with 2 or more. The staff loved our son.. and after our 3 day stay they all knew him by name. He was very spoilt there as were we. The food was amazing fresh, we tried 2 out of the 3 restaurants. At Saffron (the thai inspired restaurant) we had a 8-course degustation. I am lactose intolerant and they were quite accommodating with what they served us. The "Tom Yum Guong" was like nothing I have ever tasted before. On the final evening of our stay we ate at the Tree Tops restaurant which is literally the highest point of the island. It was beautifully calm, with clear star-filled skies and we enjoyed some local fish and a "gado gado" dish - both excellent. We also got a little visit from a possum-like creature, but he only had a quick look and then quickly scampered down the tree - we were all sitting on the edge our seats for a second but it made for interesting conversation while we tried to work out what kind of animal it was. Breakfast had loads of choice (and soy milk for me!). The freshly made omelets were very popular. They were incredibly light and fluffy and cooked with finely chopped bacon or ham and cheese (which I couldn't have) - Our group raved about them. To get around the resort you need to call for a golf-buggy. The service for this transport is impeccable and they were literally at our doorstep with a minute or 2. Down by the beach there is another infinity pool which opens up to the beach - again some amazing views and a lovely place to have a sundowner at. I have attached another photo of this. I really couldn’t say a bad thing about our experience at the Banyan Tree. Even with a 2 year old and a husband that went off to play the champion golf courses, I came back to Singapore refreshed and revitalised. It is highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank boagies
Reviewed July 22, 2009

An ideal first honeymoon destination, We stayed four nights in a villa on the rocks, the service was excellent, the staff extremely polite and helpful. Food and drinks weren't cheap, but for a short break and a treat this was fine, and expected at a 5 star resort. We treated ourselves to dinner on the rocks, this was incredibly expensive but really memorable and delicious food.

The view from our villa was beautiful, and the villa was well furnished. We did have a few episodes with creepy crawlies in the room, which did freak us out a bit, but considering the privacy of the villa and setting in the rainforest, it's to be expected. Would definitely recommend this resort for peace, tranquility and great service in a beautiful sea front setting.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed at the Banyan Tree Bintan in October 2008. Beautiful location, nice accommodation, and genuinely friendly staff who really do go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. But the food… Well, let’s be honest, at best the food is second rate. At worst…

Examples: meat is tough, undercooked and cold. The exception is chicken, which is tough, overcooked and cold. Tuna salad had a postage stamp sized piece of tuna atop a small pile of lettuce with no dressing & thus no flavour. In case you think I’m being hypercritical, consider this: 2 steaks and the cheapest bottle of wine on the list cost us US$135. Portions are small, so if you want to feel full at the end of the meal you’ll need a starter and a dessert as well as your main course. Guess what, this pushes the cost up to – typically - US$160 for 2. At these prices, second- or third-rate food is just not acceptable. The Bintan resort is 90 minutes by road from the nearest town, so there’s no alternative to eating on site.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rifran
BanyanTreeGroup, Area Food & Beverafe Director at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Banyan Tree Bintan. Your comments are highly appreciated as they assist us in improving our service and products.

It was indeed sad to read that our food selection fell short of your expectations and this has marred your stay. Please accept my apologies on this matter with the assurance that we continuously strive to improve our product based on feedback such as yours.

I would also like to take this opportunity to highlight that we have been receiving in the past months predominantly positive feedback from our guests concerning our food varieties online and through our guest feedback forms. As guest satisfaction is always our main priority, we hope that you will give us another opportunity in good faith in the near future.

Valued guest, thank you once again for your feedback. We would be delighted to have the honour of welcoming you back on your next visit to Banyan Tree Bintan.

Peter Scholz