“One of OUr Favorite Places to Stay”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Bintan Island
London
“One of OUr Favorite Places to Stay”
Reviewed July 16, 2009

The Banyan Tree Bintan is a wonderful and relaxing destination - we have been twice and will go again many times.

Rooms: We have stayed in a Bungalow on the rocks on both our visits. The position and views are fantastic and you often get a pleasant sea breeze on the terrace area. We ind it relaxing just to sit on the terrace area all morning. Our friends stayed in a garden bungalow which although nice had more insects etc on the terrace area. The pool villas also look very attractive.

Food: One of the things we like is the choice available for dinner with 3 on site restaurants. The Thai restaurant is excellent, although seating is indoors. The terrace of the main restaurant is our favourite dinner location. The room service is also very good - we had the in room BBQ which is especially good.

Swimming Pool: The pool area is very relaxing and even with the hotel fully booked was never overrun.

Golf: The golf course is a good test. Condition is not perfect, but very playable. If you are willing to play early morning or late afternoon it is also very quiet. I played a number of times at 7am on my own and was finished by 9am in time for breakfast with my wife. The caddies are all very helpful and worth using. I also played with my wife in the late afternoon - she is learning and the quiet nature of the course was very helpful.

Spa: My wife tells me that the spa is excellent and the prices were very competitive with other similar level hotels.

Staff and Service: Service was always very good and efficient. If you wanted something the response was always very fast.

Access: A 45 minute ferry and 10 minute car ride from Singapore allows this hotel to be combined easily with a few days in Singapore. I would strongly recommend seas sickness tablets for the crossing even if it looks flat in the ferry marina as it is often very bumpy at sea – you can buy tablets in the shop at the ferry terminal. (Golf shop in the ferry terminal is also good value as is the duty free alcohol.)

Value: This is one of the best value Banyan Tree hotels and for the quality of hotel we think is very well priced.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MF14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
France
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We spend our honeymoon in Banyan Tree. 5 days of full relaxation, romance and unlimited pleasure of being able to experience 5 * service and at the same time being so close to the nature.
I would say, we have the best time ever and if you are couple looking for some truly romantic vacation - this is place for you!
We stayed in villa on the rocks and we love it so much! you will find everything there you can need, so don't bring too much with you. Shower gel and lotion are great quality, new decorations from flowers in a room and fresh fruits everyday; I really like an idea of having girl magazine in a toilet as well. And smell of the room.. that is something! everyday they change essential oil and it smells so great! All these little things make you feel so special and add some luxury and taste to Banyan Tree Resort.
View from villa is fantastic! I didn't want to leave our villa, really! so cozy, so relaxing, so clean! and shower with big window facing the sea!
I read some review saying that facilities are old and rooms look shabby. We had newly renovated villa so I have not seen anything that look old. Plus you have to take in consideration that resort is situated in a wild untouched forest and there are so many creatures around, seeing this places as there living space and making lots of mess. But personnel work hard and truly efficient to keep everything in order.
Don't expect polished artificial beauty. There, you will hear lots of unusual noises in the evening, will see lizards, squirrels and bats. For me it was very amusing though for my husband it was shocking and uncomfortable a bit. but it seems to me that by the end of our staying he didn't care about it anymore.
Don't need to say about personnel: service are simply outstanding. People who work there are REALLY doing their best to meet any of your requests! and they really know, almost everybody, your names!
We ordered coffee every morning to our villa and that was the best starting of the day: smile of the delivery boy, fresh brewed coffee and view of a rising sun.. don't miss sunrise!
I can not agree with people saying that food is average: yes, it is expensive but very very tasty and well presented. Breakfast may be don't have great verity of real "breakfast" food that we, european, used to see. But there lots of asian style food presented. Plus freshness of the food are exceptional!
We also couldn't have enough of Saffron restaurant: I tried all the time different dishes and all of them were delicious! If you ask for a little bit spicy food, they will do it really a bit spicy. We even once asked for life crab: they organized delivery and prepared it in a special way we asked. And I say, that was the best crab I ever tasted! Home made ice cream is worth trying as well!
We tried spa - outstanding! Massages are professionally done that make you feel like you are already on heaven! We tried also feet and head massage which were so great! My husband organize surprise for me: massage + dinner on the beach. This kind of things you can not even imagine and pleasure can not be described!
Of course we had some "little problems" : when we arrived, there were too many people in a lobby so we asked to deliver us to restaurant because we were hungry. And manager himself came to us after lunch to fill out needed papers and settled down our special requirements.
Service can seems a bit slow in a restaurant. But you are there to relax! Why you want to have your food in 5 minutes?
When we arrived, my husband couldn't connect to internet himself: there were some problems with Hi FI. But they send us a guy in a 5 minutes to fix it.
As I said already about lizards: we had few in our room. once we even asked personnel to catch one who made some noise at night. (yes, lizards making noises!). right away there were guy with ladder and all materials needed to do it.
But to tell the truth, I had to make effort of remembering this negative points because they are completely lost in absolutely wonderful experience we had in Banyan Tree Resort!
Really unique place and marvelous nature and we are looking forward to try other Banyan Tree Resorts in other places as well as come back here again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Irving, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My wife and I recently spent a three day weekend at this resort. It was somewhat unique for us because just a week earlier we stayed at Banyan Tree Phuket which was our first ever Banyan Tree experience. We were greatly impressed with everything there, so we were particularly curious to see whether the Bintan property could live up to what we'd enjoyed in Phuket. Just by looking at the ratings we gave to this resort, you can tell it more than lived up to our hopes.

We visit Bintan quite regularly for golf and usually stay at Angsana which we find is perfect for us. This time we decided to splurge a bit. We're so happy we did. We had big expectations for everything, and they were exceeded in all areas.

When we entered our pool villa for the first time (and every time after that), we were stunned. Although we know Bintan quite well, we've never seen a more beautiful view than the one facing us as we walked in. The sun shining on the brilliant blue ocean water just beyond the infinity pool in the center of the villa... truly breathtaking.

While we were there, we tried both restaurants. The signature Saffron Restaurant (Thai) was really a special meal. The food, ambience and service were impeccable amd quite memorable. The wine selection was quite good although also quite expensive, but I know that's due to the local taxes and is the same problem all over the island.

The golf course, a Greg Norman design, keeps getting better. A couple of years ago, it was just average. It's obvious that management has made an effort to improve the playing conditions, including the caddies and golf staff. It's now a very good course with good greens and some of the most beautiful holes you'll play anywhere. The course is usually not crazy busy which made for a wonderfully relaxed round and allowed us to enjoy everything so much more, including the many monkeys and other animals wandering around.

I know everyone talks about the fantastic service at this resort, so I probably don't even need to mention it. But, it was so incredible I can't resist. Everyone, and I really mean everyone, seemed so genuinely interested in making sure we were greeted with wide smiles and friendly waves at all times. And, these weren't just casual, perfunctory greetings. The staff truly engaged us in real conversations and wanted to learn more about us and who we are. That's the difference between very good service and the kind of amazing service that makes a real impression and stays with you long after you've left the hotel.

My only complaint, a small one, is that in the very large pool villa the wireless Internet coverage is great in half of the villa but non-existent in the other half. That said, anyone who is overly concerned about the Internet while staying in such an idyllic setting is missing the point of staying there. Actually, we were just trying to get updates on various sporting events, so we wanted to jump onto the Internet occasionally.

Sorry for the long review, but this property justifies it. Based upon our back-to-back Banyan Tree experiences, we're now planning to start looking for other BT properties for future holidays. We're believers!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trotter0717
UK
Reviewed June 30, 2009

The Banyan Tree in Bintan was a similar experience to my other two BT stays in Bangkok and Bahrain. Nice hotel and location with lovely staff and good facilities BUT the service does not quite match the five stars and the price you pay.
The location of the Bintan resort is great (providing you are happy to away from everything) and there are a choice of different villas to suit your needs. We chose the Villa on the Rocks (requesting a refurbished one) which we really liked. It was private, clean and well designed.
The staff were helpful and friendly with all the usual wonderful traits you have with staff from this part of the world.
The restuarants and facilities are all very good in terms of design and location and menu choice
We used the VIP island check in which was worth doing made the port and transfer process very easy.
We used the spa a couple of times which was very good.

Unfortunately we experienced a number of frustrating mistakes and service problems, which similar to other BT stays, can take the shine off the overall experience. For us not bad enough to stop using BT but disappointing all the same when you spent this kind of money. To be fair when we raised our issues with the management we were offered full appologies and suitable compensation and better service there after, but you dont get the feeling it results in a change of approach and that other guest will not experience the same issues again.

I agree with another reviewer the food is nice but really not good enough to demand the very high prices they charge.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
HK
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Great service. All staffs were very helpful.

One thing to note, we paid extra for express clearance service at the port when arriving Bintan. However, it's hard to find the staff who supposed to pick us up once we get off the ferry, as she was holding a sign with so many names on, plus the sign has NO logo of Banyan Tree. That took me some time to find the staff upon arrival.

We stayed at seaview villa 510 for 3 nites and that was so relaxing. The villa faces to the West, so we can see the beautiful sunset from our room everyday. Things on the sun deck including the jacuzzi, 2 sun chairs are a bit old, not torn though. Inside the room, there was nothing to complain about except the small box-shape old fashion TV. That should be replaced at least by a 32” LCD TV. It would be perfect if their mini-bar is free, which many luxury hotels is doing that.

Food tasted great in Banyan Tree but really over priced. Breakfast tasted very good too, though there’s not too much type of food to choose from. The beach area for Banyan Tree guests was small, but we could walk over to the Angsana’s where the sands were fine & white and less rough rocks in the water.

The buggy service was very efficient. I’ve tried the spa and yoga, both were very professional. I’ve paid S$20 per person for the VIP lounge service at the ferry by the time we leave and that worth every penny when you see outside the VIP room was packed with people waiting for boarding.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vyam
Binfield, Berkshire
Reviewed June 20, 2009

This truely is an amazing and romantic resort. We admit to having a few concerns about coming here having read previous reports, however from the moment we were whisked away from the chaotic ferry terminal in an air conditioned Banyan Tree car, to the calm and efficient check in service, to our beautiful Villa on the Rocks with its simply stunning views over the South China Sea all our fears were pushed aside. The rooms are lovely with every conceivable aminity. You also have two private sun loungers and jacuzzi on your own private terrace which are completely private. The rooms are made from all natural local products and therefore when previous writers have made comments about rooms looking "tired" they may be confused - lets face it if you left wood out all summer in the UK with all the elements attacking it it too would need re-varnishing. I was assured by the management that all woood and roofs were replaced every 3 years and that re-varnishing occurs every 3 months. We loved sharing our terrrace with the local wildlife- squirrels,birds, lizards and monkeys. The best of all at Banyan Tree was the service, everyone from the guys who drove the buggys, to the gardeners, waiters and reception staff were amazing. They all seemed to know our names and at ALL times were curtious, efficient, polite and kind. The food in all the restaurants was plentifull, beautifully served and delicious and NOT "distinctly avaerage" as a previous writer described.You can also opt to have dinner served in any number of other locations around the resort on request e.g a romantic diner for 2 set up on the rocks or a private BBQ cooked in your room.The spa treatents were some on the best treatments we have had any where in the world. I would also add that Banyan Tree has eco priciples to be proud of. All room aminities, shampoo etc are not in the usual disposable bottels but are in pots which are refilled. As mentioned previously all buildings are made using local materials and gifts in the boutique once again are ethically sourced. Its really good to find a hotel chain who can provide luxury without comrimising their eco principles. Golf course looked amazing - almost wished we played just for the experience of going round! Well done to everyone at Banyan Tree Bintan, we shall certainly return or seek out other Banyan Tree Hotels.

Just a note- the currencey you should take here is US dollars as everything is priced this way, however they also happily take Singapore dollars

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Portiaretriever
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2009

The most stunning , romantic and beautiful resort . The service is exceptional, I have never experienced service like it, nothing is too much for the staff here. I would highly reccomend quad biking through the jungle, stopping at a jungle clearing for fresh coconut milk is a real pinch me moment. Sunrise over the rocks is just awe inspiring!
The reataurants are lovely with fab indonesian and thai menus.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple