“Not a good stay”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Me, my 2 yr daughter , my mom stayed in seafront villa 104. 1.When we checked in, staffs are so busy to greet and one lady staff showed us one reception room to sit in where everyone was sitting, she didn't mind whether we got a place to
sit.
2. Getting a buggy is longer than waiting for food we ordered.72 villas but only few buggies.
3. Staffs : personally feel they are overloaded with work, so chance to smile or talk to us who are over excited about the stay. I feel hospitality is just 10% which lots of improvement. No bond which u advertise.i m a person who talk in reception , explore more things and get to know them and their family even. But here, no talks jus straight answers to what we ask.
4. Booked in banyan resorts for main reason for doin the rainforest spa. To my shock, they say no therapist despite u have 4 spa villAs exclusively for this. I asked for rejuvenate spa , they say not available. So spa menu is big but only few services.
5. Food: saffron was really good taste. Cove is italian by name. I have been to italy. So I know italian standards. price, even America restaurants can't beat.
6. Safety: I was staying a seafront villa with a bed room down the villa.( basically two floored). My mom wished to stay down alone. In that room windows are full length, of which one window door Is repaired. Imagine how I felt when I have 2 yr old daughter and jus it's a jungle and sea beneath the repaired window.
After the first room service, when we came I seriously gave up when u saw my suitcase was open thru zip with zip keys still locked. Thank god I didn't keep any valuable in it.
My mom said she heard knock at her door second night for nearly an hour( she was so afraid she told me only after reaching singapore). She was afraid to open the door. There is no phone or intercom between rooms which unacceptable. What if some thief came in or if they not feeling well.?? How can communicate?
7. When we checked out, the person billing asked us to pay for a coke which was not kept when we came in. It's not easy to pay 5usd for the drink we didn't have. It means it was not checked properly when we checked in.
8. Drivers: drivers are not friendly, may be don't know English. Not even smiling. We don't expect guide atleast please talk we don't about bintan!!!
9. Gallery: getting products from Thailand and pricing 30 fold money is extreme.
10. Expensive: staying for 3 days 2 nights and paying 3000 usd is too much.
11. Good things
- location
- spa treatment ( did rain mist finally)
- saffron food
- pools
- access from singapore
12. Beach after 7 is very lonely . Not even one staff around. Felt really unsafe.

My comment will not affect a such a big resort but can surely of help a few I guess.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank IMHOTEPS
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear IMHOTEPS,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.
I am very sorry to hear that we have fallen short in meeting your expectations.

Being located in a secluded location amidst rainforest and with a stunning view of the ocean we have challenges in getting produces into our resorts. Despite the nearby Singapore, we cannot import our produces directly from there that we have to purchase through other ports in Indonesia with tremendously high delivery cost, handling fees and local taxes. Let me assure you that we are trying our upmost to find other solutions to get better quality products at reduced prices and that any savings will reflect in our prices.

Your feedbacks have been looked into very seriously; kindly rest assured that I have shared them with the concerned heads of department for a necessary follow up.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future for another chance of enjoying the true experience of Banyan Tree Bintan.

Area General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,802)

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is my second visit to this resort. The last experience 5 years ago was wonderful with a speedy check in and services. This check in was really unpleasant. We were left waiting at the lobby for more than 2 hours expecting to check in to a thoroughly clean room since they explained they need 3 hours for cleaning. 1st disappointment was checked into a one bedroom villa with "spiderwebed" toilet with used underwear in the drawer and moldy outdoor shower area. The house keeping service was terrible too. We asked for mosquito coil for at least 5 times through phone but the coil didn't arrive even on the second day.

The most unpleasant experience was the invasion of the monkeys.! No pre warning from the staff that there are monkeys around the villa, we woke up with a messy kitchen and pool, the kitchen door was closed before we went to bed. Our food that we prepared for the birthday celebration was totally gone. The aggressive monkeys not only open the kitchen door but the cabinet and consumed the snack and food in the cabinet left the alcohol untouch. :)

Nevertheless, I have to give the 2 managers in charge the credit on the recovery of our messy room in shape and arrangement.

The overall stay is still consider satisfactory despite these hiccup.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn1903

Dear Lynn1903,

I am terribly sorry that your villa was not ready when you arrived with the 11 am ferry. I hope you understand that our official check-in time is at 3 pm to allow the Housekeeping team refreshes your villa after departing guest left at check-out time of 12 pm. In the occasion when your villa category is available, we do our upmost to accommodate early check-ins.

Of course, we do make all our facilities available whilst waiting and that also include a changing room. Please accept my apology should the information didn’t reach you.

Being surrounded by a tropical rainforest, we indeed face challenges with the wild lives including monkeys. We have never had an issue with aggressive monkeys before. Nevertheless, your case has been looked into seriously and a necessary follow up is in place to prevent such situation reoccur.

At the end of the day, I am glad that the hiccup didn’t defect you entire stay experience with us.

I look forward to have you back with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Beautiful villa within the hills of Bintan. A must stay. We took family and had the villa with our own pool and butler Andy. He was a nice, genuine and helpful employee and an absolute joy to be around. Would be romantic with my husband alone but was still relaxing with my children. The spa was one of the nicest so far! Thank you!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TaraH746

Dear Tara H,

Thank you for sharing a lovely review about your stay with us.
I have shared you comment with Andy; he was very happy to hear that he had managed to exceed your expectation and made your stay a relaxing one.

I am also glad that our spa has also lived up to your expectation and I look forward to have you back with us sometime in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

A very charming resort nestled in a tropical forest setting. Great food and excellent service. The beach is calm and perfect to relax in. So easily accessible from Singapore that it makes a perfect getaway. A great resort for walks and beach activities. Do take a trip to the Mangrove forest.

Room Tip: Ask for a seafront villa. They have great views of the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vidya0704

Dear Vidya0704,

I am truly happy that our great food and excellent service topped with the easy access from Singapore made us a perfect getaway for you.

Wrapped with a lush tropical rainforest overlooking a stunning view of South China Sea we offer a world of nature charm where you can relax and unwind.

Thank you for staying with us, I look forward to welcoming you back again to Banyan Tree Bintan in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel was extremely disappointing and we checked out early (after only 2 nights) because it was an absolutely awful experience.
The property has an outwardly nice appearance but the problems begin when you check in. Service was extremely slow - long waiting times for buggies, an hour wait for towels in the room and other requested items. The room was full of bugs and even lizards; I expected lizards in the resort but not on the ceiling and walls of the rooms themselves! On the first night I noticed that the mosquito net (which are on every bed in the resort) was dirty, with some sort of dark stains. Bed sheets also were not clean to a satisfactory level.
They do not serve water/ice buckets as part of the beach service, which is pretty standard for a 5 star resort and towels of previous guests are not frequently replaced.
The only positives of this hotel are the beach and the helpful manager, who allowed us to check out early without any additional charge.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Annie O

Dear Annie O,

Allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you have endured during you stay with us.

I have noted your feedback on the service; please be rest assured that a retraining has been done as a corrective measure.

Being surrounded by a lush tropical rainforest, we indeed have challenges in managing the wild lives including bugs and lizards. It is unfortunately common in tropical country like Indonesia to have small lizards on the walls as they are the natural predators of mosquitoes. We do fogging on regular basis to minimize insects and bugs without harming the natural environs.

I hope you will give us a second chance to reinstate our value in your faith sometime in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had the pleasure and delight to enjoy Banyan Tree villas on a team building occasion with colleagues... and my only comment is wow.
We enjoyed the spa, the villas and the private dinning experience... So great!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Ruben U,

Thank you for your lovely comment on our resort.
I am glad that we were able to deliver the true experience of Banyan Tree Bintan to you.

I look forward to welcoming you again to the resort in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed two nights. It is a nice resort perfect for relaxation. The room were perfect with a really nice bathroom. The staff is very service minded. The food is good in both Saffron and tree top restaurant. The pool areas is nice, and the beach and snorkelling is good. We enjoyed our trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Bjarte75,

It is delightful to hear that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and relaxing. I am very happy that your meal experience at Saffron and Treetop exceeded your expectation.

Allow me to thank you for choosing to stay with us. Hopefully I will see you return next time for another relaxing stay.