“not bad at all but too expensive for what it is”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed July 23, 2013

There is nothing wrong with this hotel but when staying there you feel that you paid for much more luxury and quality that what you are getting. The food is average but they do charge as if you are paying for exceptional food. The staff are friendly but not extra nice , trained or caring to be super special. Nothing wrong ofcourse but not for these prices. Service is a bit slow and not always what you expect.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Victor A,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor.

I was most concerned to read about your comment in regards to our associates not being extra nice trained or caring to be super special and your comment about the food.

Please rest assured that I have personally followed up with the department heads concerned.

Your valuable feedback has been highlighted and we are committed to make ongoing improvements to our product, service, and staff training, ultimately ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests.

We do hope that you will give us another chance, so that we are able to show you the true colors of Banyan Tree Bintan.

Ilias Vamvakas
Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We almost cancel our booking after reading the negative remarks on Tripadvisor but we were so glad we went ahead and found our fears unfounded. Villa was great, food at Saffron and Treetops were good. We had a very enjoyable and memorable stay there. Banyan Tree staffs were one of the best team we had ever encountered. They are attentive and will do their best to make one's stay enjoyable. We will definitely go back again.
To those who has doubts, my suggestion is communicate and you will find the team at the resort doing their best within their means to ensure you have a great stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Sorry. My english is short.
I have been in the one bed room pool villa (308)
Private pool was huge and great sea view that I have ever seen.
Pick up service was comfortable.
In the hotel service was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

To start with the hotel is not worth US$600+++ a night. Having said that the quality of the rooms, the pools and the hotel in general is not as poor or as old as other reviews seem to make out. The staff are wonderful and friendly and get everything right albeit quite slowly. The restaurant menus do not have many options and although the food at Saffron was very good (Thai) the food at TreeTops was pretty poor. The breakfast however was delicious with quite a lot of choice. One of the many issues was that they have very limited sun beds round the pool and on a sunny day we had nowhere to lay down. The rooms do have small pools however if the sun isn't on your balcony then you have nowhere to go to, not really acceptable for a hotel of this "standard". I had a lovely stay however the unmerited cost and variety of small issues here and there do ruin an otherwise lovely hotel.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Myself and my friend stayed Sat-Sun and start to finish it was wonderful. We paid 25USD to be picked up from ferry (return trip price) by hotel car and were at the resort in less than 15mins. The weather wasn't good that weekend but it made zero difference, it was a luxurious experience regardless. After checkin we were whisked away in a golf buggy to our 'villa on the rocks' (villa 501) it was large, clean, lovely 4 poster bed, sea views, with our own jacuzzi pool and gated door (*must acknowledge we had dodgy hot/cold shower too as others reported).
It seems each villa has the utmost privacy. We changed quickly and went to one of the restaurants, 'Treetops' for early lunch (limited menu as it was 11am) but food was good and then we retired to the 'quiet' pool which was magnificent. There is a second pool by the beach which we didn't even see, we were happy where we were.
By late afternoon we went for pre booked Spa treatments - I can recommend the collagen facial, wonderfully relaxing and very professional. On completion we were whisked back in the buggy to our villa for a few hours before dinner at their Thai restaurant 'Saffron'. Again, good service, great food and prices were reasonable. We borrowed a dvd from their library and retired to the villa for movie night. Next morning, 9am we were picked up for breakfast at 'Treetops' and it was very good, as always with buffets you could graze for hours if you have the time. This was a particularly impressive breakfast buffet compared to what I have recently experienced at other hotels, well worth its 5 stars.
I have read other reviews re Banyan Tree Bintan, and I can't agree with their rundown opinion of this hotel, I can only provide my own views on last weekend and I would return willingly. I only wish we could have stayed for longer.

Room Tip: I can recommend 501, all villas seem to be quiet as the whole resort is quiet ex the birds tweeting
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HarringEH999
Reviewed July 13, 2013

First, the food and drinks are average, but Cost a fortune and the Drinks cost over 15 yet are watered down. Second, the rooms are very expensive, but too dated to justify the price, bad interior design, small closets, with ridiculous prices for the min bar (40 usd for a half bottle of wine). Third, the service takes forever, it took 45 min to get a salad at the beach bar (and we were the only ones there) 1 hour and 4 Phone calls get some hand towels, as just two examples. Fourth, tennis is over 80 dollars, for a coach who cannot even play, a crappy court, and they even charge you to rent balls, which are old balls that cost more than buying new balls. By the way, there is no gym so you have to use a sister hotel gym, which is crappy and small. Fifth, the pools are small with no music or atmosphere. Sixth, everyday they say the beach is completely unswimmable as there are 'no swim' signs everyday due to jellyfish. I guess the banyan does not believe Being able to swim on the beach is something guests would expect at their beach resort. Seventh, even if one dare to swim in these jellyfish infested waters, you have to pay for everything, including snorkels, by the hour. Eighth, they are so money hungry when we asked to see another room they kept saying it was a 'downgrade' and kept asking if I wanted to see some rip-off spa villa. Ninth, one of the buggy driving jokers would only talk to me (the man) ignoring my wife like we were back in the middle ages. Tenth, we asked for a taxi to go to Town and he gave us a hotel car, charged us 25 bones, and then tried to milk us for an extra 15 because we stopped a market on the a
Way home. Seriously, I am still expecting them to put some gold bars in my luggage for all the extra money they tried to milk us for, only that would come close the balancing this value equation. The need to fire the manager, cut the prices in half, and retrain the staff.

4  Thank norbertghz
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Norbertghz,

Thank you for taken the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry to hear that you found our food and beverages average. We use branded beverages and fresh fruits for our juices and cocktails which can be served as per our guests preference with or without ice. All our food products are being shipped daily or sourced locally. All our Chefs have been trained to local and international preparation standards and techniques.

All our villas and the public areas have been recently renovated. I am very sorry to hear our villas were not up to your expectation.

My sincere apologies for the delay in service. Your comments have been addressed to the respective Heads of Departments.

Our tennis teacher plays in national competitions and the tennis courts are being patronized quiet often by our guests and locals. I am sorry to hear they did not meet your standards.

Banyan Tree does not have a gym. All our guests can use the gym at our sister property in Angsana which is being used frequently by our guests.

Regarding the Jelly fish activities on our beach, it is seasonal. There may be only a few, little away from the shores but as a precaution we have placed the blue signs and blue flag on the beach to inform our guests. The Jelly fish season has finished.

Your commend on my associate not talking to your wife and only talking to you on the buggy has been addressed.

During your stay not all categories of villas were available. My team could only show you the categories which were available for the duration of your stay.

Banyan Tree has contracted a taxi company with the highest standards and insurance on the island. I am sorry to hear you found the charges not up to your expectation.

Once again I would like to Thank you for your valuable feedback and I am looking very much forward to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Bintan in the future.

Ilias Vamvakas
Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Yes you can swim in beautiful pools, You could even make a noise on the water or with 4WD on the beach but the beauty of Banyan Tree is that you can just veg out, lie back, relax in your own private pool, eat well and sleep well....and the Golf Courses..to die for!
You might even detox as the grog is pricy. The staff can't do enough for you. The Perfect stop over on the way back to Australia.