“satisfactory” 3 of 5 stars

Planet Holiday Hotel
Ranked #26 of 90 Hotels in Batam
“satisfactory”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I brought 20 people with me and made booking through email. Check in was late by 2 hours making my group tired of waiting. Front office keeps on telling one staff per floor but upon checking, 4 staffs was lingering outside of the rooms. They were talking instead of cleaning the rooms. Asked for interconnecting rooms but only got one. Staffs were patience with my questions. Supervisors should be overlooking the chambermaids instead sticking at the counter. No bellboy to carry the luggage instead my husband has to push the trolley of bags up to 18th storey. Despite all these, the food and facilities was good. Kids had a great time at the pool. Intended to try the spa but was fully booked.

Room Tip: If you intend to have connecting rooms, must book Deluxe and Club Deluxe on the same floor. Hinger f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Nina5180

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

2 November 2013, 1pm

It was a horrible stay at Planet Holiday Hotel, Batam for me and my friend as we were looking forward to staying at the hotel as per the good reviews on Trip Advisor. We couldn’t be more wrong.
We came to the hotel early at 1pm and was told that the rooms booked would not be ready until 2pm. We then told the hotel front desk staff that we would have a drink at the hotel lobby bar while waiting and to inform us when the rooms were ready at 2pm as promised.

At about 2.15pm, we actually had to go to the reservation desk to ask about our rooms instead of being informed as above even though we are just seated at the lobby bar across the reservation desk, only to be told that only one room is ready is the other would only be ready in 45 mins time. It is very important for the hotel staff to convey the right information to guests as we are wasting time waiting in the hotel lobby to only know the truth when we went to check on our rooms availability. If the check-in timings are not guaranteed for 2pm, I would suggest either you hire more staff or you manage your time properly.

We were actually generous and kind enough to not kick up a fuss and continued spending our money using the hotel services by employing the hotel recommended taxi driver in the front entrance to bring us around for sightseeing and to buy some stuff.

However, the hotel taxi services were unfamiliar with the places we want to go and tried to double the charges when he drove us back to the hotel. The hotel taxi service counter quoted $80,000rp as the “standard rate” for a roundabout trip. We counter proposed a final price at $60,000rp for roundabout trip which was conveyed by the hotel staff to the taxi driver and agreed upon before we set-off. When the driver drove us back to the hotel, he quoted $120,000rp which we refused to accede to the amount and only gave $60,000rp. We immediately filed a complaint to the hotel manager (Indonesian Chinese Lady). However, the Hotel Manager brushed us off by saying that it could be due to language barrier which the taxi driver misunderstood. We saw her talking to the taxi driver after that and thought she was trying to resolve matters, but no the episode ended with the Hotel Manager and the taxi driver smiling and shaking their head at our plight! There was also no attempt on the Hotel Manager’s part to explain or apologize at all for all these!

At that point of time, it was already 3.15pm, which the other room was ready for check-in, and when we thought there would be some sort of goodwill from the hotel manager in view of the unpleasant episode of the taxi charges and late check-in by allowing us to have late check-out, the hotel manager first reply was: “It will be at 12pm the next day.” When we further questioned if 12pm is the reasonable timing to check-out when our check-in timing is so late, the hotel manager replied in a hostile tone: “The hotel check-in/out timing doesn’t work in the way where the check-out timing matches the check-in timing. We can let you check out latest at 1pm if you want.” All these have seriously left us thinking whether we had checked into a reputable hotel or a place that cheats its guests just because they do not speak the local language?

Our rooms were located on the 19th floor and there was a discotheque at the hotel (1st floor). The vibration from the sound console of the discotheque was so huge that we can even felt it on the 19th floor. The food served from the hotel room service is also most unpalatable.

My opinion is that if the taxi driver cannot understand or converse in simple conversational English, he should not even be allowed to represent as one of the exclusive taxi for hotel guests as he would be representing the hotel’s commitment to standards and excellence, which is none in our case.

What is even worse is that the senior staff of the hotel (the hotel manager) did not even bother to properly investigate the case and try to improve things for the future, and instead just gave a nonchalant attitude and reply to hotel guest’s feedback. This is indeed the great misfortunate of Planet Holiday to have senior staff like that.

Overall, we feel that the hotel does not value its guests and are just relying on current good reviews to continue the business. Me and my friend have the worst experience by choosing to stay in your hotel and would most definitely not recommend our friends if they are coming to Batam.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank jhtay

Travelers are raving about these Batam hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

It's a quite old hotel with good services. The room is not so special. The interior is old fashioned and the air conditioner is a little bit humid.

The good points of this hotel are the good breakfast, its entertainment, and its close to Nagoya shopping center, Nagoya Entertainment district, nagoya citiwalk, and Nagoya Hill.

It's also close to ferry terminal and cafe complex in Harbour Bay.

There are karaoke room and dischotique to entertaint the guest.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I ordered a room with a queen bed. I tried to check-in half an hour early, and was politely told the room wasn't ready. So I came back two hours later, and check-in went smoothly.

The room was nicely decorated, but the queen-size bed must have been onsold by a midget. Not much bigger than a single bed - less than the width of my arms - with an old convex mattress that tapered down at the edges, meaning it was very difficult to find the sweet spot.

On the eleventh floor I was spared the disco noise that others were complaining about at breakfast. From my balcony, my view was spectacular, and I could just make out Singapore through the haze.

Breakfast was pretty good, although the dim sum was cold. Any restaurant that serves dim sum, bee hoon and local specialities (such as bakso) is alright by me.

I don't know how to define a good location in Batam, but the location of this hotel is not worse than that of any other, and not in a seedy location. KFC and Mcdonalds are walkable, as are some very cheap local places (less than $5 SGD for two cans of Bintang and a nasi goreng!)

3.5 stars, upgradable to 4 stars when they get decent sized beds.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff at the reception who are always smiling. Very clean place and they greet you with a complimentary drink. Only spent some time in the lobby as I came here for an event but might definitely be a place I would stay in if I was here on a holiday.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Harsha R
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Other than the gym, everything was okay
I love the lobby and the restaurant, the front desk were very helpful, I went to their sky lounge and it was so beautiful, me and my friend observed the view in batam from there and we got their bad air and bad view, next time I will come back and definitely I will recomment this hotel to my relatives and my friends

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

booked hotel through asiatravel.com as recommended by tripadvisor. very last min for a public holiday, but most other hotels were already fully booked & unable to provide instant confirmation. thus decided to give Planet Holiday a try. We paid bout S$205/night for 2 rooms (immed payment with asiatravel).

Tax & Service Charge IDR 340,476.19
Grand Total IDR 1,650,000.00

Payment Summary:
Payment By PromoCode IDR 23702.92
Payment By Credit Card IDR 1626297.08

Land transfer from Harbour Bay terminal to Planet Holiday comes at a cost of 75,000 IDR. Hotel recommended minivan for 6pax at 120,000 IDR.

First advice. PREPARE RUPIAH. was quoted 325,000 IDR/S$45 for additional bed. do your maths. I got 7,900-8,000 IDR at S$1, which should be around S$41.50 after conversion. The hotel's exchange rate is kinda bad (which is not a surprise), so just avoid paying in SGD over at Planet Holiday.

Have requested for linked rooms, but only given side-by-side. Judging from both our rooms, I don't think the rooms are linked at all. Good thing was that it is located at #12. We thankfully evaded the karaoke & disco lounges with disturbing noise levels as pre-empted by many (thanks).

Had to pay S$100 deposit for each room (Prob becaause it's trip-sharing). Can also put in rupiah but I forgot the exact amount already. They forgot to give me the receipts for the S$200 deposit. Was told that we only had to sign. Okay I was kinda dumb to have neglected that also.

Paid for triple sharing but no extra towels/slippers or whatnots. Only extra bed + pillow. + blanket. So we had to request for them. Only requested for slippers & towels though. Because the carpet is kinda ...yucks... and wherever that isn't carpeted is marble. or quartz. or whatever material that's freezing cold to the touch. that includes the whole toilet floor.

The toilet design wasn't consistent in both rooms. One had a bathtub and a standing shower, where the other only had a bathtub. Didn't really inspect the other room and this was the only inconsistency I noticed.

Something about the air-con was kinda off for my room. We set it to 25deg as one of us was running a temperature but the room remains freezing cold (even for us who are not sick). Maybe got wuuwuu visitors (okay, joking) since we visited during the first few days of Chinese 7th month.

The room comes with a nice balcony and pleasant view. Could see the pool from the balcony and we used that to gauge whether the pool has opened in the morning. After checking, it opens from 6am - 10pm (I THINK. can't remember because the +-1hr was confusing me). You have to "register" each person to enter the pool area. They will also hand you locker keys if you need. And lockers are found inside gents/ladies. We were handed towels upon request. 3 of us. But only 2 towels. Bleurgh. Probably because the lady at the counter saw that I brought my own from the hotel room? Well, whatever. Do note that you aren't allowed to leave your towel in the hotel room. You are supposed to return it to the pool counter. But you can return it after going back to your room to bathe. Just remember to return the towels! We speculated that the hotel and the facilities are probably operating under different organizations.

Made a mistake to let my sick friend sleep in while some of us went swimming early in the morning. Because that made us late for breakfast. And like many other reviews mentioned (in a nutshell), THE BREAKFAST ALMOST SUCKS. I mean, hello, you REALLY have to either work on 1) Improve your breakfast setting (larger "restaurant", maybe?) OR 2) Hire somebody who can at least SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND English. -_-

It was a horrendous experience at breakfast. Breakfast ends at 10am. We met at the restaurant at 9am. It was full and the staff told us to "wait inside" (it's like free-seating, u wait around at kopitiam for seats. except that it is not a kopitiam. and it is buffet breakfast.) And gave away a table for 6 near the entrance to some 4-ppl group who came later but was smart enough to hurry over and "choped" the table without even "registering". Okay, I was watching from the sidelines as I let my friends wander inside as I wanted to observe how the staff would respond to such a -duh- moment. And it was a disappointment. The staff relented to the later group, as though wanting to avoid any "unnecessary trouble" and taking the easy way out while turning around to check if my group noticed.

First time for all 6 of us to "find" our own table for breakfast in a hotel. I've been to hotels with even greater crowd but they have handled it well. and guess what? We ended up sitting at a table for 4 which was supposedly meant for 2. So 6 ppl squeezing at a square table.

And the food sucked. They refilled the rice (the rice was good, but wasn't close to being empty) instead of the side dishes which were long gone. The egg station (with a snaking queue, +-15min wait cos they are just so slow) serves eggs that looked good but tasted like char. They serve cornflakes and cococrunch. and milk as well. The toasts area are always empty and the chicken porridge is plain porridge. I ended up eating Plain Porridge + Corned Beef...for breakfast... Oh wait, they have some condiments to go along with the porridge like deep fried anchovies, fried onions, spring onions, some sauces as well. And not to forget, salted eggs with shell. :< (summary: what looks good, doesnt taste as good. what looks bad probably tastes bad as well except the rice. nope, i'm not a picky eater.)

Not sure if the breakfast was bad because it started off bad for my group, or if it was bad because it really was bad. But on another note, it was public holiday and it was really busy in the restaurant.

Checking out was almost a breeze except that the staff had to dig through their documents to find the deposit invoice (or whatever it's called) that's supposedly mine to produce at check-out to "redeem" my deposit. GOSH. S$200. Concierge was the best. Easy to check-in, easy to check-out. Except that when we returned to collect our bags, I spotted them from the hotel entrance. O_O. because there were not locked in a room, and the concierge counter was really small. Uhhhh. Okay. Maybe that's why it was a quick thing. Just grab, sign and leave.

That's all. On the overall, everything was okay. Just that it wouldn't be my first choice. And it isn't the worst. The breakfast was the worst tho. Give it a try, you may like it. Just avoid breakfast :( on a crowded day. Or you could try being early. It's complimentary after all.

Forgot to mention, it is near Nagoya. On 2nd day, we didn't hire driver. After dropping our stuff at Concierge, we crossed the small road to the stall opposite and attempted to walk to Nagoya (as shared by other reviewers), but a few buses honked at us shouting NAGOYA!!!. 3,000 TO NAGOYA! so we hopped on. :) You could try it :)

Didn't try the spa. It's closed on first 2 days of Hari Raya.

Room Tip: Higher level for less noise. Corner units for more privacy. Units near to central lift for better vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends