Disappointing is an understatement. There's so much this franchise can offer, but results is well under-par.
The location itself is actually not bad, even though not walking distance to attractions (you mostly travel on a taxi anyway), pretty near to ferry terminals and major malls (Nagoya, Batam Centre, etc).
This little area called Bengkong is interesting - home to the "Golden Town", you'll see the hotel (Golden view), a quite famous seafood joint (Golden Prawn), a go-kart and factory outlet (Golden factory outlet), Golden Cheng Ho cruise... One might suspect all these belong to the same owner.
Staff are relatively friendly, the usual "drinks on arrival" is given to us. No comments with check in/out.
However the hotel itself is poorly maintained; here is the breakdown:
- The room is very mouldy (we are given 2 rooms in level 7 and 1 in level 4), you don't need to be an expert to see the mould growing all over the ceiling and walls!
- Other than the mould on the walls, it's not hard to realise that there's a severe leakage all over the hotel. There're different shades of paint on the walls to show how badly the furnishings are damaged by the water. The fake ceilings on the walkways to the room are extremely deformed.
- The carpet is, of course, very damp as a result. What's more shocking is the wetness of the bed and its covers.
- The bedsheets are stained, though felt a little cleaner than the bed covers(At least I don't itch when I sit on it), it's very uneasy.
- Bath tub cannot be used as it is jammed. As the water slowly trickles down, there's a very strong stinky smell of old drains.
- Walls at the shower area is very dirty - clear visible black stains are seen.
- Towels carries a very bad smell - my partner says it's a smell of urine. We didn't asked for a change as we're convinced that it won't help.
- The air-con is very noisy - serious vibrations are heard throughout the night.
- Showers run out of hot water - most of time the temperature is at most lukewarm.
We tried to ask for a change of rooms but we were told that the hotel is fully booked.
Amenities in the toilet is at the minimal.
The bed is quite hard, but it doesn't matter anymore.
Upon my return from Batam, I'm even more shocked to learn that the hotel is relatively new. Better upkeep is needed surely?
The food in the hotel is below par - I'm not expecting a lot for Batam hotels but the food have to at least be hot.
Understandably, it's hard for me to return to this franchise, it is 4-star in terms of facilities however the management seems to be struggling to even satisfy the very basics of a decent hotel.
It is not the size of the room that matters, it's the cleanliness! If I can give a zero for cleanliness and upkeep, I will!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 215 Rooms (Superior, Deluxe, Family Room, Suite Room) have been ready to suits your needs and various facilities: Cuppa restaurant, Rajawali terrace cafe, Murai lobby bar, Pipit kids corner, traditional massage, massage centre, full fitness centre, gym, sauna & steam, swimming pool, jogging track, laundry and valet services, 24 hour room service, booking for golfing, business centre, shopping arcade, free shuttle bus to the downtown, karaoke room. Outdoor activities (Go kart, High Rope team building, Flying Fox, ATV - Motor, paintball, volleyball field). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Golden View Hotel Batam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.