New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #35 of 94 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Short Stay!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights... Everything was okay but too many smokers... No fresh air... Almost all the hotel guest are smoking in and our door... Breakfast was okay but food had turned cold if you come down late.. Hopefully next time when return, there will be no more guest smoking from In-Door...

Plus Point:
1) Lots of TV programme (e.g: National Geographic, Cartoon Network, Fashionista & many more)
2) Free Shuttle Service to Nagoya Hill & Batam shopping centre. (Only 1 timing) 1:30pm

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MavisT
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, April 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comment for your recent stay at our hotel.

We are very pleased to read that you are enjoy your stay and happy with our services. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday and this will certainly motivate us to keep up the good work.

Your positive comment will pass on to the team which definitely will motivate them to provide better services.

Thank you for your suggestion to work on smoking section solution, we have plan to extend our restaurant to open space garden beside the existing restaurant, hopefully this can be finalize and follow up soon.

Thanks again to recommend us to other traveler and we all look forward to welcoming and serving you again soon on your next visit to Batam.

Abdul Malik Azhary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Indonesian first
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is my 2nd visit to Mercure Batam. I was expecting the same standard of service and overall experience I had like during my first visit last year. To my dismay, they failed to deliver.

I booked thru booking.com and followed up an e-mail to them stating that I require a hotel transfer from Batam Center. However when I arrived at Batam Center, the transfer service was no where to be found. I had to call them up to fix a transfer and only arrived 20 minutes later.

The journey to the hotel took another 35 minutes. It seemed that the driver was trying to be a smart alec by taking a shortcut to avoid jams. But in vain, we were still stuck in the bad traffic.

When we reached the hotel, the front desk staff did not even know what reservation I was talking about. She had to check, and re-check again. I deposited an amount of rp1500000 for my 2nights stay. I am sure that the amount of rp1500000 was more than enough for my 2 Nights stay inclusive of breakfast and room service.

To my dismay, I was told i needed to pay cash for my breakfasts on the morning itself. Also needed to pay cash for room service. They could just charge it to my room and deduct from my rp1500000. I tried to feedback this to the staff but their replies were unsatisfactory.

On the first night as I was watching the TV, there was a sudden power failure / blackout on the entire floor where my room was, level 2. It lasted for a good 20 minutes before I decided to head down to the front office to notify the unaware staff for a rectification.

Breakfast was okay. However I couldn't find a single fork. I had to ask and keep asking til they understood.

The pool counter staff were quite rude when we wanted a towel for a swim in the tiny pool.

On the 2nd day I wanted to make a simple trip to a recommended massage parlour and nagoya mall. Their driver Mr Dodi tried to cheat my money. The plan was a simple one:

Hotel->OCBC atm-> massage parlour-> Nagoya Hill Mall-> Back to Hotel. He quoted rp120000!

So i decided that i did not want to go to the massage parlour. I agreed on just:

Hotel->OCBC atm-> Nagoya Hill Mall-> Back to Hotel. And in the end we were quoted rp100000! What a ripoff!

Did not argue much and paid up. Pledging never to come back to Mercure again.

Overall Mercure Batam has led me down and disgusted me in many ways. Right from the transfer, hotel front desk, breakfast, pool staff and taxi staff.

Last but not least, now that I am back at my homeland. I received an e-mail from booking.com stating that I MIA-ed from the hotel and did not turn up for the reservation. What nonsense is this? Mercure did not convey to booking.com that I had stayed with them. currently booking.com is demanding a cancelling fee of USD115. Well done Mercure :))))))))

This is my last ever visit. Bad bad reputation Mercure. You've just one of your customers. Wait till this "great" news spread to my relatives and friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Mr. Kongster,

Please accept my deepest and sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience during your recent visit. Please rest assured that we will investigate and taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you mentioned.

After thorough investigation I will report to you and write to your personal email. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again and better serve you in the near future.

Abdul Malik Azhary

Travelers are raving about these Batam hotels

singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

i was very confident of a comfortable stay based purely on the parent brand name and the property lived up to my expectations.
we were duly impressed by the front desk staff who gave us a prompt check iand allocated a room according to our request i.e not facing the main road.

the room is very decent sized with very comfortable beds and clean linen.the furniture needs a coat of warnish as the dating of the furniture is very noticeable. the bath room is well fitted with a long bath and wash basin. but for some reason only bath toowels are provided and not the face towels.there ia safe in the room but it would be more practical to locate the safe at a higher level as one has to virtually sit on the floor to access it. bath room amenities were basic but there should be two of each item if it is a twin room. maybe the bath gel can be shared but a comb and toothbrush and slippers...... surely these ought to be in doubles.

location wise i found it to be acceptable but many peope were complainig about the the hotel being located away from the shopping and eateries area. this i suppose it would depend upon the purpose one is in batam .this location is quiet.relatively. the major shopping centres are within two kms away but the taxi operators in batam charge IDR40k one way, which is pretty expensive.

breakfast is excellent with a generous spread covering local and western items.the layout is well planned to avoid congestion and the staff were always smiling and willing to go the extra mile.

overall the staff of this property are impressive - sniling, helpful and responsive.

the property is very suitable for all types of travellers,including families.

Room Tip: if you want quiet request room facing away from the main road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, March 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comment for your recent stay at our hotel.

Thank you for your suggestion to put the safe box to the higher place we will look the possibility and for additional bathroom amenities can be request according to the guest's need. For your information, we provided free shuttle service on daily basis (this information is posted in the lobby) at 1.30PM and 4.30PM to the closest shopping malls Nagoya Hill and BCS Mall, 2 hours advance reservation is required. Maybe you can use this facility for your next visit.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Nothing much to complain about this hotel at all.Location was pretty good. Its within a walkable 1 km from major batam shopping joints (Nagoya shopping centre). Room was spacious and huge and warm shower with nice suite of toiletries is a nice touch.

Facilitates are a great as well. Pool and gym facilities are well maintained.Sauna and steam room available as well. Jacuzzi water could be cleaner but that is more due to the inconsiderate users not showering before entering the waters if anything. Breakfast is normal, nothing fancy but service staff are polite and refills are quite frequent.

The hotel i believe is going through some sort of a upgrade. In the end the only sore points were the fact that there were no wifi in the room and no access to fox sports (crucial to me since i am a huge football fan)

All in all an excellent stay. Will minor tweaks this place would be perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KeiKurono
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, March 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comment for your recent stay at our hotel.

For your information, we just upgraded our TV channels now with 56 channels including Fox Sport News and Star Sport channels, Wi-Fi in the room being finalize to be develop.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We went to Batam last year for a one day shopping & relaxation trip and spent just one night here.

The hotel was okay & the staff was polite. They accepted our request to assign a higher floor so that we have a good view. The hotel is not too far from the city centre where all the malls are.

The breakfast was good & there were a lot of options.

They have a swimming pool for relaxation and a small spa area, as well.

It was overall, okay for a short stay.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room so that you have a better view & less noise from the street outside.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Harshna
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, February 15, 2013

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Seemed deserted his hotel because the location is not too crowded. The rooms that I live in a little damp, so the air is not fresh. The price is not meet with the quality. Too expensive for this hotel.
The area around the closest to the BCS.

For next visit, maybe I choose another hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6178, General Manager at Mercure Batam, responded to this review, February 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and comment for your recent stay at our hotel.

We greatly appreciate the feedback and we ensure you after thorough investigation and clarification necessary action will be taken and more attentive training will be given to our housekeeping and maintenance team to keep all the rooms always in good condition, and for your information our rate apply according to competitive market in the areas.

Hope you will give a chance for us to welcome you and have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you plan to visit Batam in the near future and I will personally arrange your stay with us.