“Recent stay at the Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam, Indonesia”

Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay
Ranked #6 of 99 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Recent stay at the Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam, Indonesia”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

For the two night trip we chose to stay at the Swiss-Belhotel. For about $65 SGD ($50 USD) per night you can stay at this 4-star international hotel, which boasts a high quality standard of services and facilities. In addition, the hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of the Harbour Bay Ferry Terminal in Batam’s central business and commercial district.

Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff members who pointed us towards the decadent lobby. After checking in we whisked ourselves up to our fifth floor room. The modern room was clean, comfortable and had all the amenities you would expect in a 4 star hotel. The only negative thing I noticed was that the business chair was missing some padding on one of the armrests. Everything else was up to par, including the shower, which had a rain shower nozzle making showering that much more enjoyable.

Although the Swiss-Belhotel offers four on-site dining options we only had time to eat at the Swiss-Café for their breakfast buffet. I thought they offered a great selection, (beef stew, chicken, rice, noodles, fruit, American breakfast, desert, etc.) however I cannot say all of the food had great taste. I will say I really enjoyed their pineapple juice.

One additional thing that I think is worth noting. In the past I have experienced several hotels that claim to have fitness and business centers, only to find out when I arrive that they have insufficient areas with minimal necessities they call “business” and “fitness” centers. This is not the case at the Swiss-Belhotel, which is well equipped to cover all your needs in both these areas.

If you are traveling to Batam the Swiss-Belhotel is definitely worth thinking about. The Swiss-Belhotel is indeed 4 star worthy and you can spend the night for only 3 star prices. If you are looking to stay at a hotel that is clean and safe in the heart of Batam then the Swiss-Belhotel is the one you should pick. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

For a further review of Batam, check out http://www.day53.com/travel-brochure-to-batam-indonesia/

3 Thank Hoffa676
Denny J, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Batam, 15 August 2013

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

We have shared to our teams of your pleasant experience while staying with us however, regarding to your comment about the business chair, we have informed to the department concerned to follow-up.

Once again we do appreciate receiving your feedback as it is enables us to focus our continue improvement efforts. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. Thank you.

With kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great Room, Very Reasonable... Restaurant has good local food. The Chicken dish with rice local dish was damn power! Shower was nice but towels had strong smell of bleach! SERVICE was Excellent!
The Spa right in front the hotel is very good and nearby!
Walking Distance to the ferry terminal! Reception Staff are very warm and friendly!

Room Tip: AGODA has good rates
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank topcom88
Denny J, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Batam, 3 August 2013

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

We have shared to the F&B team about your compliment of our Restaurant and dishes. However, regarding your comment of our towels, we have briefed to the department concerned to do immediate improvement.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have always thought well of what to give to my dad as a birthday gift cause it has always been the usual. As i was growing older, i realized, material things will never be enough to show how much you value a person. So then i came up with the idea of bringing him and my mom to batam indonesia. (It's the easiest and cheapest escape destination from a busy week in singapore, if you wanna relax and have a good time off)

I've been doing researches about hotels around batam for us to stay at, but none seem to catch my attention due to some factors (i can get really picky with the ff:

a) convenience of the location from the port to the hotel
b) location of the hotel to the city/malls
c) hotel ambiance / facade
d) rooms /amenities / quality of the hotel
e) price / value for money

Amazingly and thank goodness! i have stumbled upon swiss-belhotel harbour bay as i did some deep research cause i was seriously displeased with the services and conditions of the other hotels.

So to start with, i have sent an enquiry to their reservations department. It's kinda hard to get a hold of other hotels in batam (when you're in singapore) cause you would have to spend in calling and you have to wait for ages for them to reply in the email.. but in this case, this hotel changed the way i look about everything.

I had to enquire since i'm meticulous with things and i wanted to ensure our stay to be a good one since it'll be for my dad's birthday.. So a few hours after my enquiry, i have received a reply from their reservations specialist named gilang. She opted to negotiate with me via skype which was super convenient! I have told her that i wanted to surprise my dad for his birthday and i was hoping if they could surprise my dad by singing at the lobby during the check in process. So she assured me that everythng will be taken good care of.

I did not expect too much but guess what, when we arrived for check in (they gave us early check in!) no one sang the birthday song.. Turned out it was all in our room! (They gave us a complimentary free upgrade to a superior deluxe room which was super spacious!!! even 6people could fit in seriously!) They have set up the room into a magical one with balloons all over the room, they've decorated ribbons all around the wall, and they've done some crystal stone greeting on the king sized bed saying happy birthday daddy. And they've put in a dining table with candles and when we got into the room, gilang and christina (the reservations nd concierge staffs) were there inside the washroom holding a whole huge delicious chocolate cake with candles singing happy birthday to my dad! That is just pure awesome! We super appreciated how the team really put so much effort in surprising my dad! And not to mention, the touching part was when we found a greeting card on the bed with personalized hand written birthday wishes for my dad. It was so touching! Really!

Thank you gilang for taking care of this, you deserve a promotion for doing such a wonderful job! And i'm glad to have earned a new friend!

With all my batam research and i even saw it myself when i roamed around, i must i say, that there is really no classy / new hotel in the city of batam, except for this hotel. Batam has good resorts in nongsa, but thing is, the travel time will eat up your whole vacation. From the resorts to the city will take you 50minutes to an hour. That's automatically 2 hours scratched off from your stay in batam.
And that's what i loved about swiss-belhotel. It was located perfectly.. The 5mins walk from the harbour bay ferry station was an edge and it'll take you only 5-10mins to reach the city-- bcs mall and nagoya shopping mall by car/ taxi. What a convenience!

If you don't know what convenience means, let me tell you more about it:

If you would need some groceries, snacks and all, just pass through the hotels underground bridge (1minute walk) and you see yourself in the giant OG home supermarket. It's basically at the basement of harbour bay mall. So the mall and hotel are pretty much adjacent. And not to mention walk 2mins from the hotel and you've got j.co donut shop and breadtalk. Talk about awesome!

They provide reasonable and private car service using their brand new hotel cars with classy educated drivers who are in decent uniform (they serve as tourguide, bodyguard, driver and companion :)
I opted for the hotel car service for i heard that taxi drivers in batam can be so much of a pain that they cheat on the rates they tell you (cause they dont really meter at all!) and i'd bet you wouldn't want to get into a fight, argument or some sort.. So i have booked for almost 6hours of tour service with a private hotel car and driver and i had to pay only $60. It can be $10 more expensive than other car services, but always remember, quality comes with a price to pay.
Two thumbs up for our hotel driver ravi, for being such an excellent, careful, entertaining, and amazing driver. He'd always open the door for you, watch out for your stuff and he was very polite and respectful. My parents were very satisfied with his service. If you'd book for a car service, go look for ravi, and you won't be disappointed.

The hotel had a fitness gym with a sound system by the pool side. The pool is quite small but it was located perfectly on the thirdfloor by the new and fresh sauna and steam rooms.

The rate we've paid for included the buffet breakfast (which was super worth it!) for 3 and upgraded superior deluxe room with extra bed. It was super super cheap and i felt like it was definitely worth my every cent..

It was such a hassle free batam experience! Knowing that even if the hotel is just 5mins walk to / from the ferry terminal they still provide the free hotel car pick up. And i was really surprised when the manager of the hotel went down to meet me and ask if everything was okay with our stay. That was indeed overwhelming!

Thank you swiss-belhotel harbour bay for giving me and my parents a wonderful experience we'll carry on forever. We've had the best customer service experience and the best value for our money!

I will surely be back! ;) see you all again soon!

*refer to the photos below :)*

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Milkateal
Batam, 15 August 2013

Dear Ms. Bianca,

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

It was our pleasure to be part of your father's birthday. It was our duty to make sure every guest is satisfied while staying with us. We have shared your comments to the departments concerned as well as Gilang, Christine and Ravi. We will keep improving our standard to make sure you have the best experience on your next stay.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went there on 19th July afternoon at 11.50am Singapore time. As this is my first time in Batam i did not do any search of the hotel location. The journey from Singapore to Harbour Bay Ferry is just a 30-40mins only. The hotel is just also a 5mins walk from Ferry Terminal. We reach the hotel around 11am in Batam which still got 3 hours we can check in . Never expected that they allow us to check in early at 11am instead 2pm. That is really fantastic,this allow us to rest Iin the room before going for shopping.

The hotel room that i booked is Deluxe . It is very big and spacious. I like the design. Simple and sophisticated.There have steam & sauna too at level 3 near swimming pool. As for the pool is too small. The hotel massage is not that good. During our massage at 9.30pm, we still heard renovation noise. The massage staff not really professional .
Breakfast is still acceptable but the porridge is too sticky and dry. The bread is too hard even i toast it , it become more harder.
I have a surprise when we came back to the hotel around 5pm. The hotel staff came to our room and sing a birthday song with the cake lit .That is very sweet of them. The cake taste nice too. I would like to thank you for the staff at Swiss-Belhotel that i really enjoy my stay very much.
Overall for a short trip. It is highly recommend of this hotel. Location is fantastic.

2 Thank Catnyipiao
Denny J, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, responded to this review, July 26, 2013

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We do appreciate your comments and have been forwarded to our staff and team. Indeed it is a clean and nicely done hotel, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff as we have been conducted several training to maintain our standard. We are glad that you enjoyed the birthday surprise from us as it is our duty to make our guests to feel satisfied and welcomed.

However, we apologize for the inconvenienced experience with our massage service. We have forwarded your comment to the team for immediate improvement. And regarding to the porridge and bread, we have also deeply briefed to the department concerned to make sure the food served are according to the standard.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I frequent batam very often, as often as once every 1 months. Sometimes, I may stay overnight if I requires longer massage.

This time round I choose to celebrate my anniversary in batam and I choose SwissBel Harbour Bay.

I asked the hotel to do some flowers decorations for my anniversary. I was a little afraid earlier, but to my surprise, the decorations is more beautiful than I expect. They even decorate more than what my ideals limit to. :) My hubby is very surprised and touched that he could bear to take the display away when we are in time to tuck in lol.
The room is clean, spacious and the concierge service was excellent.
Surprising of all the breakfast variety is more than what I ate in other hotels.
Thumbs up SwissBel, I'm already planning my trip for Sept, as my friends are already asking me when I'm bringing them.

See you soon SwissBel Harbourbay

Thanks a million!

Dear Ms. Mexim,

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We do appreciate your comments and have been forwarded to our staff and team. Indeed it is a clean and nicely done hotel, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff as we have continuously conducting several training to maintain our standard.

We are glad to hear that you and your partner were satisfied with our decoration for your anniversary. It is our duty to give the best for our valued guests. And thank you for the comment about our concierge and breakfast, we have shared to the department concerned and will keep improving for the better.

Singapore
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Location is near the HarbourBay ferry terminal and several seafood restaurants, pubs and minimarts, massage parlours.. Need a transportation if u wanna explore the city.. Rooms started at deluxe.. No standard or superiors rooms only. My room was facing an incomplete courtyard, haven't tried the pool yet cause only stayed for 1 day only... Breakfast is ok but need to improve in the rate of re-filling due to overwhelming breakfast crowds... Would definitely come again and stay longer to enjoy the full amnesties..

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We do appreciate your comments and have been forwarded to our staff and team. Indeed it is a clean and nicely done hotel, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff however we have been conducted several training to maintain our standard.

Regarding to your comment about our refilling on breakfast, we have brief to the department concerned to adjust the frequency with the number of guests. We ensure you to have the best experience on your next stay.

singapore
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Spacious room.pool was not ready for use.
Located near the harbour. Shopping centre due to open, maybe by
Another 4 months. Not so fantastic nite seafood by the harbour.
Friendly staff with short answer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Denny J, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Batam, 28 June 2013

Warm regards from Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay Batam!

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments on tripadvisor.com following your recent stay at Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay, Batam. We are very appreciate your comments and have been forwarded to our staff and team. Indeed we have spacious and clean rooms, centrally located in downtown and we often receive good comment regarding the service of our staff however we are continuously conducting several training to maintain our standard. For your information, our swimming pool will be ready in July 2013.