WINNER WONDERLAND

Golden Prawn 933
Ranked #26 of 337 Restaurants in Batam
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Asian, Indonesian, Soups, Singaporean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
singapore
“much more than a sea food resturant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

it is much than a restaurant because the whole set up a miniature village that includes a KUEH LAPIZ (layered cake) outlet that even process orders and delivers to hotels, a local show theatre and then of course the restaurants.

I say restaurants as the there are several pier like structures stretching into the pond or lake, each pier is a unit intself.during peak hours it is hive of activity as many tour operators use this as their lunch venue.

the menu is extensive and as the ame implies,sea food. of course there are items like noodles, steamed and fried rice and a good variety of vegetables.

our local guide is the souce of my next piece of information about the reaturant. as batam is an island without open seas the sea food is limited in size, particularly the crabs and prwns.what is lacking in size, is however, more than made up by the rich taste of the sea food served at this place.

if you ask any transport operator about sea food restaurant suggestion in batam GOLDEN PRAWN which operates the 933 and 555 braches from the same address will be inevitable response.

one of the reasons forwarded for this response is that the transport operators are paid some form of commission for recommending guests to this restaurant, the other is that the cuisine served here is good. i would lrecommend visitors, particularly the foreigners from the west to visit this institution. it is amazing how so many guests are attended to here efficiently and promptly and it might be a good case study in guest and sea food management.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank rajamanu

• Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lousy food but expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Been here 10 yrs ago, the place not crowded,the staff are friendly,the food are ok and not expensive.
Now this place is well known and popular among tourist....it's normal i guess once popular price goes up and up.I will not recommend this place cause the food just ordinary not so special.Not worthy to spend food at this kind of place.You can find better food elsewhere in batam and not expensive.If you go couple is ok but if you go in groups...your throat will be slice...the bill will shock you.This place now has become tourist attraction.I will never come here again.

1 Thank bbdull
Singapore, Singapore
“Prawned over by 555”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

For one who isn’t a fan of seafood, I was surprised by the copious amount of fish, prawns, clams and crabs I consumed in one sitting! Granted, it was almost 5pm and that we have yet to have a meal – weekend getaways in Batam are ruled by laziness! But in all the times I’ve indulged in the second love of my life (the first being travel, of course!), I have never succeeded in finishing my food, as far as greed pushed me.

Between the 2 of us, there was Chap Chye (mixed vegetables stew), Ikan Kerapu Tiga Rasa (Deep-fried Garoupa with sweet, sour & spicy sauce), Barbecued Clams, Chilli Crabs (one medium-sized & one small, both female crabs), Udang Goreng Mayonnaise (deep-fried prawns slathered with mayonnaise), and Steamed Gong Gong (sea snails). Steamed white rice was refillable and we had 2 servings each.

Now, the deal about this place is, you order the dishes and then you go get your ‘live’ catch. Naturally, I wasn’t the one to do this. Else, I won’t be able to eat anything on the table. Dishes arrived within 15 minutes of ordering, in batches, and everything was served within half an hour.

The Chap Chye was really tasty; the flesh of the Garoupa was springy and there wasn’t a hint of a ‘fishy’ taste; the clams, covered with sweet sauce, were plump and succulent; the gravy for the Chilli Crabs was a tad sweet for (cili-padi-loving) me but the dish was all right, on the overall, and the prawns were crispy through & through with the right amount of mayonnaise – no cloying feeling! Steamed Gong Gong is not up my alley; I tried one and it was chewy but tasteless.

Looking back at this photo, I can’t believe the 2 of us finished everything in an hour. Service staff did their job well, making sure we got everything we needed. About the lack of an ambience, I’d say, ‘let’s leave our pseudo-epicure selves at home and partake in a dining experience that’s free of any other expectations, except that of good food.’ I've enjoyed seafood dinners in neighbouring Bali, Phuket, Krabi and Koh Samui but this meal at Golden Prawn 555 won me over! It was a satisfying meal that set us back for a reasonable SGD 80.

Getting there from Nongsa
From Batam View Beach Resort in Nongsa (where we stayed), the taxi ride to Golden Prawn (933 or 555) in Bengkong takes about 40-50 minutes, depending on traffic. Taxis are expensive, from 360, 000 rupiah (about SGD 47) for a four-hour block, and the only way to get one is through the hotel front office. We decided on Golden Prawn 555 instead of Golden Prawn 933 upon arrival, because I read bad reviews of the latter. Our driver assured us later too that 555 is the better choice.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank livelovetravel365
“Not worth trying”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We gave this restaurant a try because it got the most reviews. End up with the worst eating out experience. The seafood dishes arrived at our table all are cold. Not tasty as those review given. Not worth the time travelling there as taxi fare are not cheap for a round trip it cost us IDR 250, 000 from Harris Hotel @ Batam Center.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JanelleLim
Singapore
“i love seafoods..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

we go everywhere to try all seafoods in batam and this restaurant satisfied me and my hubby from craving for seafoods i love it so much.. thats why were planning again to come back there and eat seafoods so great and affordable..

Visited December 2012