“Decent, no-frills hotel right next to Batam Center Ferry Terminal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Hotel Batam Center

HARRIS Hotel Batam Center
Ranked #4 of 89 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Decent, no-frills hotel right next to Batam Center Ferry Terminal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Room was generally clean and comfortable but the entire place does give off a very “budget-hotel” vibe. Air-conditioner in the room was pretty noisy though, so take note if you are a light-sleeper. Breakfast was adequate but the quality of food was not very good. Very convenient location though, as it was just a three-minute or so walk (through the carpark) from the Batam Centre Ferry Terminal, and directly across the road from MegaMall. Hotel does provide a paid shuttle service to Nagoya district for Rp35000 per person return. However, you need to pre-book, and the shuttle only leaves at specific times of the day. If taking a taxi, it costs about Rp50000 – 60000 to get to/from Nagoya Hills Mall. A good choice if you plan to explore various parts of Batam during your trip, as Batam Center is as its name suggests, in the center of Batam. However, if you are going to Batam purely for shopping or spa, other hotels might be a better option as besides MegaMall, there isn't really anything in the vicinity of Harris Batam Center.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
General Manager H, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Harris Fans,

First of all thank you very much for your comments regarding the HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, we fully take into consideration of your recommendations, which will allow us to improve our quality day by day.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused during your stay, especially the noise that you faced during your rest. We have coordinate with our Engineering and Housekeeping department regarding the faulty air conditioning, and we will fix it to avoid all the disturbance caused .
We are really looking into our quality of food offered during breakfast, we will ensure a better quality is served daily.

If you are thinking of coming back to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than happy to welcome you back here.

Once again thank you for your comments and thank you for staying with us.

Harrisly Yours,

Benjamin Castel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed in Harris Hotel near batam center with my family for a weekend (3days, 2nights), the interior of the hotel was very colourful and well managed by the staff & management. The staff at the reception were very friendly and always smiling which makes you feel that you are treated with honour. We took the room in Level 5 with sea facing view, the rooms were very neat and clean with the room aroma giving you nice energy, the room had a very good view of the sea and the ferry terminal but unfortunately there is no balcony. The hotel would be outstanding if it had a balcony for all the sea facing rooms. The swimming pools were clean, though it had a view to sea but the scenery was hidden by trees. The breakfast they provide is average, however as every one mentioned refilling of emptied dishes takes time. So you need to wait till then... there is a counter for pancake and egg omelettes... the cook who does the omelette is not smiling and gives you a look "what are you waiting for"? but the breakfast was filling.

Megamall is few steps away and we got all branded and unknown brands at a very cheaper cost. The basement has a supermarket in Megamall and at the entrance of this supermarket there is a money changer. The money changer gives a good conversion rate comparing with other money changer's in the mall. We experienced very bad service with a Spa in Megamall (which is the only spa in Megamall), they charged us very high and provided a very poor service. KFC, Coffee club, Black canyon restaurants were also there inside this mall and anyone who wants to try the local delights, could walk less than 0.3km to a nearby local food court.

The ferry terminal was the neighbour building from Harris Hotel, so it was very relaxing and not a rush to take the return ferry back to Singapore.

Overall - Harris hotel is a good place for families to stay (mainly with toddlers) for a short weekend getaway, neatly managed by the hotel staff and management. Hotel staff's are very pleasant and friendly, closer to ferry terminal, close to Megamall to buy cheap things.

We will go back again to this hotel...

Note: Pls exchange enough SGD into IDR, as and when you spend in SGD in batam you get to pay higher than what you pay in IDR. We ended up paying 50 cents and $1 more for buying stuff's. All receipts will be in IDR and when they convert it to SGD the shop keepers take a lower conversion rate.

Room Tip: There are 2 types of rooms, one is city facing and other is sea facing. Choose the sea facing room a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
General Manager H, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Harris Fans,

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center. The new "Hotspot right in the Center".

Thank you so much for your positive review and we are delighted that you had a comfortable stay with us. We fully appreciate your observations, which will be communicated to all our simple, unique and friendly players who had participate in creating a positive experience throughout your stay in our hotel.

We have well noted on the comments about our kitchen staff and food replenishment, we are working on it with our food and beverage team to ensure a better service is provided for all value guests.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we are hoping to welcome you back in a near future.

Harrisly Yours,
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Location - great with ferry terminal and Megamall within easy walking distance.

Breakfast buffet - spread was ok but found some of the dishes way too salty eg. Fried beehoon, fried mee, garlic chicken, rendang. The q at egg station built up quickly and waiting time could take up to 10 min.

Room - clean, spacious with good seaview. We could see the fireworks display at Coastarina on Sat night.

Staff - friendly and helpful, but some did not seem to be proficient in English. Dropped my goggles on the way back to the room and had to speak to 3 people before they knew what I was looking for.

Swimming pool - 1.15 m throughout so not kid-friendly. Good if there was a small kiddy pool for the younger ones. Had to approach the staff for towels, better if they could be kept near the pool so guests could help themselves.

Massage - ok but the therapists could not converse well in English. Had 3 Massages but the therapists were late on 2 days. Punctuality could be improved.

Overall, nice stay but having been to Harris Resort at Waterfront twice, this hotel pales in comparison.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
General Manager H, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Harris Fans,

Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center. The new "Hotspot right in the Center".

Thank you for taking your time in sharing your experience with us. Regarding the English proficiency of our players, we are glad to inform you that we are providing English Training to all our players with the view to deliver the best quality service.

We have well noted your comments regarding the quality of our breakfast and we will take immediate action in order to offer our Harris Fans a better choice of food that we serve.

Also please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during your massage session. We will take seriously into this to enhance its service standards and practices so to make each of Harris fans stay a memorable one.

Once again thank you so much for staying with us and looking forward welcoming you back to Harris in the near future.

Harrisly yours,
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Upon arrival they couldn't find my reservation by my name.I had to go behind reception on their computers and he made me try and sign in hotels.com (who I booked through) to prove I had a reservation. I didn't know my password for the site. He then said the email they sent me was ok so he had me send that to the hotel. What if I didn't have an email? Would they not have let me in? After that, room was clean and nice on 9th (top) floor. Lots of painting and construction going on in other rooms though when walking to my room. The hotel is not close to much. Walked over to megamall one minute away, but its not that "mega". Harassed by moped taxi guys on walk over (bad location of hotel). I decided to ask the hotel to get a taxi for me to go to the bigger mall nagoya hill. This cost 60,000 rupiah. When dropping off at the mall the taxi driver pesters me to ensure I use his service again and only call him. During drive he was Asking me what I'm doing in batam I thought he was just being polite but really his motive was to find out where I was going so he could say "I take you". I only had a 100,000 rupiah bill and a 50,000 bill and required 40,000 change or short him 10,000. He only had 20,000 so I got ripped off 20,000.he wouldn't take the 50,000. Moral of the story-dont trust the hotel taxi service. The sad part-other taxi's are probably worse. Overall the room was clean and what I required, but the process to check in was a pain and the drivers cannot be trusted. I have seen tripadvisor reviews on this place before stating all the bad things and then management will come on here and say "sorry for that. We will fix it in future". Well I am not staying in the future so you cannot fix my trip.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Trekker519
General Manager H, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Harris Fans,
Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center. The new "Hotspot" right in the Center.
We have well received your constructive comments and we have checked accordingly your reservation which has arrived in our computer, minutes before your check -in. In a normal process the customer should present the voucher of his stay at the front office counter which was not the case upon your arrival. The presentation of a voucher is a must for ensuring the hassle free check in procedure and also for safety and security reasons. We deeply hope that you can understand this matter.
Taxi drivers outside the hotel are not under our control , we have noted the behaviour of the hotel taxi drivers who sometimes are over friendly with the guests and being briefed accordingly for their behaviour.
Our location really depends to the perception of our Guests. Majority of our Harris Fans are loving our location and there are many reviews prooving the above point.
Sorry that we have failed to meet and exceed your expectations.
Harrisly Yours
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Harris Batam Centre is located next to the Batam Centre Ferry Terminal (about 5-10 mins away). Megamall is diagonally across the street (about 5 mins walk), though nothing much to shop but you can find A&W, Pizza Hut, Breadtalk, JCO donuts, KFC, Starbucks and some other local food. There's a free shuttle service to Nagoya Hill, do check the details with the Front desk staff.

The rooms are spacious and clean and we got a room with both sea & pool view. Color theme is vibrant orange & induce cheerfulness to our holiday :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank DreamzSG
General Manager H, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Dear Harris Players,
Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center. The new " Hotspot right in the Center".
Indeed our property has a very strategic location, conveniently located near the island attractions and side by side to the Batam Center International Ferry Terminal.
Looking forward welcoming You back to our hotel soon.
Harrilsy Yours
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Decided to try this hotel because of the shopping mall across the hotel and also its next to the ferry terminal.

Stayed at Level 4, facing the mall. While I give thumbs up for the clean room, great service & free wifi, i was let down by the lack of amenities in the room & the noisy aircon.

And when we checked in at near 6pm as we have 1/2 day tour earlier on, I was abit disappointed to learn that the room is still not ready. Ordered room service as well and it came cold. Breakfast not fantastic either.

I'm not sure if they provide free shuttle to Nagoya area but would appreciate if they do.

Nevertheless I would still stay at this hotel again because of its promixity to the ferry terminal & Megal Mall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank VeronLiek
General Manager H, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Harris Players.
Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center. The new " Hotspot right in the Center".
Thank you so much for your constructive comments that are really appreciated. We have well noted all your input and we really woking hard with all Harris Palyers to correct even our small details.
As you have mentioned you would like to re-visit us again in the near future.
Looking forward welcoming You back the soonest.
Harrisly Yours
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at Harris Hotel Batam Centre recently after following a friend's recommendation. We appreciate the fact that the hotel is within walking distance from the Ferry Terminal. Just opposite the hotel is the Mega Mall Shopping complex where it housed inexpensive local restaurants, a hypermarket and a spa parlour.

We were given a room at level 8 overlooking the sea. Generally, our bedroom was very spacious and comfortable. It had a bright orangey, cheerful decor. The TV and the air-conditioning worked very well. However, we do noticed some stubborn stains at the side of the shower area. The toilet door had started to show its age as well even though it seemed quite new for the rest of the property.

The hotel also have a very huge pool and a fitness centre. I loved swimming in the clean pool. Buffet breakfast and set lunch were included in our room rates. I think the food is pretty average. The service staff were generally friendly and prompt in responding to our requests. We did order room service at night and really love the Gado Gado salad :)

Generally, Harris Batam Centre is a family-friendly hotel. Most of the service staffs were pleasant and keen to serve. The cheerful atmosphere and its perfect location made it a nice, inexpensive weekend getaway for us. We would definitely be recommending this hotel to our friends and certainly look forward to staying there for our next getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the sea if you can.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
General Manager H, General Manager at HARRIS Hotel Batam Center, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Harris Fans,
Cheers from Harris Hotel Batam Center. The new " Hotspot" right in the Center.
We are delighted that you had enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your great comments.
Indeed our hotel is a real value of money and its location make it very famous in Batam.
We have well noted your constructive comments concerning the stain on the shower glass. An action will be immedaitely taken.
We are gald that you had enjoyed our Gado Gado.
Hoping You will visit us again soon.
Harrisly yours