“Noisy but Better than the rest”
Review of Grands I Hotel

Grands I Hotel
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Batam
Manila, Philippines
“Noisy but Better than the rest”
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I have been to Batam before and this time I chose I-Hotel and stayed here for 3 nights because It is gaining popularity in tripadvisor and there were less negative reviews. You can read my other review on another hotel named "PH" and decide which hotel you would stay.

I-Hotel is new. The rooms are fresh and clean, and the bathroom is big with a full size tub and separate shower. The fixtures are still shining like it has been newly installed. The TV is big but not yet LCD. They have more channels though and are clear to watch. The room is bigger than average, but has a simplistic design, almost like an apartment. The view outside the windows is just a hill with nothing special but it is the same on most hotels in Batam. There is no free shuttle service to any place in Batam even in the nearby Nagoya Hill Mall. The mall is only a 5-minute walk (less if you are a fast walker) but disappointingly, there is no sidewalk for pedestrians so you need to step on the road and walk against ongoing traffic.

There is free broadband internet and free pressing of clothes daily, 2 pcs only. Price of laundry is reasonable if not cheaper than PH.

The breakfast is average with not so grand spread almost no change in variety. They may call scheduling the yogurt M-W-F (not daily) a variety. I wondered why not serve it daily, it is only a 1 small bowl. The ala carte dinner of NY Sirloin Steak is no good, but this is the only dinner I had from the restaurant.

Lastly, the band at the lobby is so noisy it can be heard on the 7th floor. The hotel did not do a great job of sound proofing. I was awaken around 2am with loud percussion music from downstairs.

Nevertheless, I-Hotel is still the better hotel and I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This is a very new and well maintained hotel, just next to the Nagoya hill shopping center. Rooms are very clean. Toilet well stocked with toothbrush, comb, shaving kit etc. Staff are very helpful.

Breakfast is a buffet, with a limited spread, but they have an egg and waffle station where u can get your eggs cooked in any way u want.

Overall a five star experience!

• Stayed February 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Spend 4 nights here on a business trip and i have to say that this is an extremely good value hotel. My room was comfortable and even though I could only get a smoking room (more on that in a moment) it wasn't too tainted.

Food and beverage were good, the staff were outstandingly nice...and fun. The gym would put many western 5 star resorts to shame. The only negative was that there were no smoke free public areas in the hotel and the smoke really did become quite overwelming after an hour or two. Overall though, a very good stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard H
Reviewed January 4, 2011

It's one of the newest hotel as it was opened on 19 January 2009. There was someone waiting for us at the ferry terminal as we have call them a day before to remind a pickup.

It's minutes walk from Nagoya Hill shopping centre albeit there are land decelopment at the side. Do walk in single file as you'll be walking on the road with vehicles zooming passed you. But rest assured as there is a bus shuttle to Nagoya Hill from 6pm onwards. We used the ihotel minibus during our stay there. We paid about $10 - $20 per trip (depending where we want to go) but it was worth it as (1) we would not get cheated by the local taxi (2) it was airconditined and we reached our destination pronto.

The Devata spa is awesome. My sis and I booked 5-in-1 massage at their Devata spa and it only cost $68. We came a few days before christams thats why there was a huge discount. The swimming pool had a jacuzzi and normal pool and albeit, no lifeguard, it is very safe. There is floats that they can use when swimming in the pool. Both devata spa and swimming pool are located on the 3rd floor.

We didnt try the recreation centre nor the conference room. The lounge was not bad at night as there is a group of band singing to entertain us. The range of food for breakfast at Level 1 was superb. There was porridge, noodles, rice, fish, chicken, bread, waffles + omelette (cooked by chef at one corner). We came down about 7am (indo time) so we were spoilt for choice.

The butler was superb. They came a few minutes later when we called them to asked for help when we check out. We tried their room service too. They were prompt.

One downside is when we arrived and paid the full amount of hotel, they require us to pay more, so we did. They assure us they will give back the remaining amount after our stay and they did. It was a bit of a downside because we have actually put aside money just enough as indicated on the website so my sister have to use her money meant for shopping to pay first.

But overall, my family and I had an awesome stay there and without a doubt, we will stay there again in the future. :))))

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I recently spent 2D1N at I Hotel and though there were some initial displeasure, I still enjoyed my short stay. The unhappiness occurred as a result of miscommunication with the reservation staff, but it was a minor issue and did nothing to spoil the day.
What I wish to state was that during the short stay at the hotel, I received and observed a standard of service that I did not expect. The front desk were very friendly and had a ready attitude to serve. A ready smile is something you could expect from them. I would wish to commend especially one of the male front desk officer, but I am unable to recall his name.
Overall, I was satisfied with the hotel and look forward to my next stay with them.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2010

Was there for a 2 days 1 night stay. I would say thumbs up, the room service and the stuff was quite friendly and helpful. We felt quite welcome and the massage was excellent! There is also breakfast that was a spread ranging from western to japanese. I would certainly return to ihotel for another getaway!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Decent looking 4 star hotel. Nice environment with good facilities. Nice large gym, bar and spa. Little small pool but with another jaccuzi pool. Rooms were good and decent.

Breakfast was ok with a variety of Chinese, Indonesian and Japanese food.

The hotel is within 5 minutes walk to Nagoya shopping mall. You need not take a taxi.

The negative part is tht you are only given one key card which is needed to press the lift button to your room level (security measure). The hotel allows smoking everywhere which may not be pleasant for those who dislikes smoke.

• Stayed December 2010