New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Grand I Hotel

Grand I Hotel
Ranked #11 of 90 Hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Meets expectations but could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Went to stay in this hotel over the hari raya weekend and booked 4 deluxe rooms after reading the good reviews from this site. We were there with 9 adults and 1 child. The hotel was nice, new, clean, and luxurious. We enjoyed our stay there with the friendly staff, good location and nice jacuzzi. However there are still some things that can be improved.
1. The hotel ran out of extra beds to add to 1 room, we reached there around 4pm, and we had to take 1 extra room for just 1 person. Be there early to get extra beds or arrange with them before you check in.
2. Reception for some of the tv channels were poor with noise, and only flat screen CRT was provided (not LCD). Channel selection was good with over 20 channels.
3. Breakfast tasted good with wide variety, but refills were slow. Some of the foods were gone and not refilled if you go down after 9am. The dirty dishes also won't get cleared until after you're gone.
4. The shortcut walk path to Nagoya Hill shopping mall is gone, with construction going on. So if you take the hotel shuttle car ride there it costs around S$6 for a 1-min ride. Too expensive even for Singapore standards.
5. The hotel charge rate is listed as USD$86 per deluxe room. Booking from their website requires 10% deposit which is USD$8.60 per room. When settling the checkout bill, they will charge either SGD$109 or Rupiah 735750. I got an exchange rate of 6555 rupiah to 1SGD. So paying in SGD is actually cheaper but I paid in rupiah because I changed too much money and wanted to use up everything. So in total it costs USD $8.60+ Rupiah 735750, around SGD$125, which is more than the listed price of USD$86 per day. Advice is to try to settle everything in USD which probably is cheaper going by the exchange rate now.
6. There is no shower head in the bathroom so if you have a small kid it's tougher trying to bath them with the mounted shower rose. The bathtub was big and clean though.
7. Gym was closed for renovation. Pity.
8. We were only given 1 key card per room, we could have done better with 1 more.

Some good points:
Comfortable bed, soft yet firm pillows, 2 large 1.5 litre bottles of free mineral water. All toiletries provided, toothbrush, razor, bath soap, shampoo, bar soap, plus many others. The slippers provided were new and had a thicker base which helps ensure your feet don't get wet when you're in the toilet.
Helpful, honest and friendly staff. My wife left her handbag in the restaurant which they found and returned to us when we tried to look for it. I would go back again to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank SingaporeWolverine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Indonesian first
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Most of this hotel’s qualities have already been reviewed. I just feel the value for your $ is so outstanding. In Singapore you'd be paying 5-6x the price for such a nice room as I had (deluxe) with a beautiful view of a suburban hillside. Internet is free and really good speed. You can avoid the dreaded ripoff taxis for your entire stay as not only the famed Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre but the whole town is accessible on foot. The service is efficient. When you call for anything it arrives within 5 minutes. And the staff are really pleasant and polite. No attitude at all and they’re not stressed out as hotel staff can sometimes be. There is plenty of space to put your stuff, the luggage rack is in a sensible painless place. The clothes closet has air vents so you can close the doors without getting your clothes all musty. Very nice touch. The water pressure is insane and you can see yourself as you shower. How’s that for hedonistic ingenuity? OK. That’s enough. Do stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank taoben
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is my 2nd time staying at I hotel. I find that this time round the service not that gd. On the 2nd day of room cleaning, they did not top up the toliet roll even we finished using. No floor mat in the toliet (1st day have). The floor will be wet after you bath so you will need 1 esp you got kids.
We actually request for pick up from the ferry termial to hotel but the pick up did not turn up. When i called them, they ask me to wait for 10min. So we have take a cab to the hotel. So no point request for pick up. On the return trip, we paid 40k at the hotel taxi counter then upon reaching the driver told us we need to pay another 2k for the carpark. They should have told us we will need to pay another 2k at the hotel taxi counter. We feel a bit cheated.
They use to have a shortcut to Nagoya mall but now not anymore cos they seems to have another building coming up.
At this point, there are still a lot of shops still not open at Harbour bay shopping mall. So no point going there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

I just return from a 1 night stay at iHotel.

Front desk: Very polite and helpful. Check-in/out was a breeze. English speaking.

Rooms: Clean sheets, TV with a huge selection of channels.

Nearby amenities:
10 min walk from Nagoya Hill shopping centre (hypermart, matahari dept store, a&w, Jco, massage place just opposite the street).
Hotel tranfers was relatively reasonable - mini van for max 10 pax (from batam centre to hotel - 100k ruppiah, approx SGD 15-16), to harbourbay (70k rupiah) one way.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

First, the hotel is just besides Nagoya. This is important to shopaholics! We prob need 1 full day at Nagoya. :) The beds are soft. [I slept for 8 hours] The bathroom has a bathtub. My superior room is big enough for me and my friend. I had a difficult time booking the twin bed superior room as there are only 4 such rooms.

Second, the complimentary breakfast is good! There is cantonese style chicken porridge, fried rice, pasta, fried udon, korean gyoden, bread, toasts, jams, sausages (not the cheapo hotdogs), fruits, orange juice, cakes and coffee and tea. A very varied breakfast for its guests. The restaurant staff check on their food to ensure that food is warm. The waitress serving coffee/tea goes around periodically too.

Thirdly, service is always with a smile. I encountered some problems with my access cards and the counter manager was prompt in her service.

Overall, I enjoy my stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Attentive and polite staff and they are able to converse in English which makes everything else easy and smooth.
Room is spotless clean and spacious with complimentary toiletries and good hairdryer.
Bed and sheets are good but have to say bolster that is placed in the cupboard has to be replace coz yellow stain on the ends. Stayed in Jakarta,Bandung and often Bali,i personally find Batam hotel expensive but having said, its worth staying in this hotel.
Like it as it is modern,really clean.I was fortunate to have stayed in a room next to biz travellers so was spared the noise from noisy guest.Best of all just a stone throw away from Nagoya Hill Centre.
Spa was alright.
Will definately go back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Basically, I'm not not fussy person regarding food & lodging. I can say that I'm 99% satisfied with the hotel room and the staffs.
Everyone of them are so polite and courteous towards the guests. The room is clean, spacious (superior room), and have almost all basic needs of our daily stay. Things like shaver & cream, comb, toothbrush & toothpaste, soap, bathing gel, shampoo, shower cap, tea bag, instant coffee powder, sugar, creamer, hot water boiler, hair dryer, wired internet in room, etc.
Location is very near to Nagoya Hill Mall which is within 10mins of walking distance. I did not try the food in hotel by room service but the breakfast is quite good.
The only 1% that I did not added to make it 100% is the sound proofing between your room and your neighbor. It is due to the access door between the 2 rooms. If your neighbor on their TV to a loud volume or having a in-room party, you can hear it quite clear but not so loud to a certain extend which can affect your sleep. (I think... :p)
So, great! The hotel looks classy, staffs well-trained with very good attitude, cosy room. Its a very good hotel to me and most probably I'll choose I Hotel again if I'm to travel to the same location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business