“Great - apart from smoking in the restaurant”
Review of Grands I Hotel

Grands I Hotel
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Batam
“Great - apart from smoking in the restaurant”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My first stay here and for hotels in Batam I thought it was quite good. Good size room and clean. The only let down was smoking in the restaurant. Although there is a non- smoking area, the smoke from a chain smoker at breakfast did not know this ! Both days.

Staff very helpful and friendly and always at hand.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just stayed at the I Hotel for a weekend. Upon arrival, the experience was good as the door man cum porter was helpful and the service at the reception was very efficient.

However, I was a bit disappointed with the lighting in the lobby as the lighting was rather dim and dark.. The hotel has good security system where one can only get to your designated floor with your key card.

The rooms was a good size and clean, however they looked rather tired and needs an upgrade. The TV set was still the old style TV ( CRT) and not the flat LCD TV. The WIFI in the room was rather weak and had to look for the signal. The lighting in the bathroom was rather dim as well.

Quality of breakfast was good and they had an egg station as well. The plus point in this hotel is that its right next door to Nagoya Hills Shopping Mall. Surprisingly, the lighting around the hotel lighting the walkways were brighter than the hotel lobby and restaurant which made the safe to walk alone.

Overall I had a good experience stay.

Room Tip: if you want to get good quality WIFI signal, its best to get a room towards the center of the floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jimmy S
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Just got back from Batam. Stayed at I Hotel for 2 nights. Check-in and out reasonability fast. Reception staff and the door men were all very polite. Rooms we got on the 5th floor was quite big and clean. Nagoya Hill Shopping Center with lots of shops and a food street inside is just about behind the hotel. Now the cons for this hotel. Visited the bar there cos we thought we (2 couples) could enjoy some life music inside but to our dismay, it seems to cater more for the Ang Mohs. The girls inside hover around them. That we can still accept cos its seems to be the norm but we felt cheated. We ordered 2 shots each of Gordon Bleu for 3 pax but on receiving, we found the amount not right. We asked the girl who took our order but she just smile as if she don't understand. We do not mind paying but not short changed. We tried ordering another 1 shot of the same, but were told no more. Maybe they just divide the earlier order by 3 of their balance. Breafast at hotel, no much varieties. Had dinner at the Cinnamon Cafe (same as breakfast area), not many varieties also. Just a few dishes only and only 1 type of vegetable (brocoli) only. Booked 1 of the hotel transport to go to the Wet Market. Were told that the cost would be 35,000 for the 10 mins ride. Happy with the price, we told the driver to pick us up for the return trip, but to our horror on reaching the destination, we were told to pay 70,000. We thought it was for both ways, but when we reached the hotel, we were asked to pay another 70,000. Since it is not our turf, we did not argue but just showed our displeasure. Also we found the price of the hotel is on the high side.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Patricia19580902
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Checked-in fast, checked-out almost instantly. All staffs are very polite from front desk counter, and having breakfast with my girlfriend at restaurant this morning :) A very short walking distance to Nagoya Hill shopping center.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicholasTan1021
Singapore
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Check in was fast, we booked 1 Deluxe & 1 Superior thru Agoda and was given Deluxe room key when we arrive at 11am. Once we entered the room on 7th floor (#723), there was a very strong mouldy smell and was shocked to see a huge wall about more than 10ft at the balcony which totally blocked the view. So can imagine the room is dark during daytime unless you on the light. We quickly called reception to request change of room and was given #618, which had a pool view without balcony. Room was huge with King size bed and come with one bolster and FREE drinks in the mini fridge which was extra thought. Thumbs up!
Hotel was just 3 mins walk to Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall and city area. Also is 10mins away from HarbourBay Ferry Terminal with many food outlets.
Buffet Breakfast is only average, as not much selection. Only the Eggs Cooking section is good.
Room Air-con - woke up by the aircon noise.
Waiting Area- Should not allow smoking in the aircon, either separate the smoking area. We can't sit there as 2 guys were smoking and its so stink.
Reception- All smile and greet guest except one lady staff that don't smile. She looks pretty but too bad she pull a long face for that 2 days when I was there.

Room Tip: High floor and choose Even room nos.
1 Thank SingaporeAda
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Hotel is just next to Nagoya hill shopping which makes shopping very convenient and they even have a back door to it.

The pool is pretty nice and clean and overlooks the area.

Room is rather spacious but more cleaning can be done. My cousin with her baby had to request for a new kettle as it was rusty inside and water from the previous guest was not poured away.

Breakfast... So so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing to the road.the back faces a blank deserted field with no view
Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Having read many positive reviews on TripAdvisor about this hotel, I went ahead to book it with confidence and the hotel didn't disappoint. Lobby was spacious, modern and elegantly designed. Upon check-in we were offered welcome drinks. All staff were very friendly and spoke good English. Unfortunately despite requesting for a twin room when we made the booking, we were told there were only king beds available. This was fine with me since I was travelling with my mother, but had we been travelling for work, I imagine it would not be a very ideal arrangement. The hotel didn't look busy or crowded so we didn't understand why they couldn't find us a twin room for one night. Nonetheless, we slept well. The room was spacious and clean. There were tea and coffee making facilities and plenty of TV channels (English and Chinese). There was also a bath tub although we could have had a rubber bath mat as getting out of the bath was slippery without one. There is a small pool and spa on Level 3. Both looked very inviting although we did not go in. Location of the hotel is excellent as it is right next to Nagoya Mall (5 minutes' walk) and in the mall you can find lots of shops and restaurants. Don't expect things to be dirt-cheap, but they are generally around two-thirds or half the price you find in Singapore. Buffet breakfast was nothing to shout about. Does the job and that's about it. In terms of price, location, quality, iHotel will be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a good view.