“Functional” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 90 Hotels in Batam
Sydney, Australia
“Functional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I had a renovated room, so carpet, furnishings look ok (cheap, but ok). Can still see remnants of old days, e.g. wash basin, basin counter, toilet bowl and bathtub.

There is a KTV on 4th floor, better to avoid rooms where you can hear the loud singing.

No issue with cleanliness, although there is a distinct cheap perfume smell in the towels. Breakfast is ok (noodles/ fried rice/ porridge, cereal/ bread etc.)

Not sure if the hotel is (still) under renovation. Can still see old carpets are strewn along the hallway.

Wifi signal is unstable. Connection is slow.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

The place is under renovation. The room we are staying is the old room and it really smell bad...the mattress is really hard and me and my hubby keep turning our body to get to sleep... there is water stain on the ceiling.
During buffet breakfast, i saw a small cockroach at one of the tray displaying the bread.
At the reception counter, my uncle want to join in as member of the hotel. The staff cannot find the member card and search for very long.The staff want us to get it later... After our shopping trip, we pass by and ask for it again. The staff again cannot find it. When we request for something else, the staff give us black face and become unfriendly. Before we check out, my uncle request for his member card again and the staff do not know where the other staff place it. My uncle complain on how come you keep misplacing the card etc. And was given a very black face... the staff throw something into the dustbin with force showing that she is not happy and walk into the office. And finally she found the member card and pass to my uncle.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank scsim15

Travelers are raving about these Batam hotels

World Wide Traveller
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I first booked in another hotel but after visiting the room and checking the surrounding I decided to move closer to Nagoya hill and checked in this hotel.
Coming out from a less pleasant place, the hotel seems much better, more welcoming and better located. The hotel is under refurbishment (old but clean rooms, lobby, bathroom etc...) and there where stored carpets in the corridor, but that did not bother me too much as my room was quite OK.
The bed was supper, the pillows great and I slept extremely well! TV although not with a flat screen and available program where OK, good internet connection, friendly staff and decent breakfast made my stay pleasant.
Once renovated should be great!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank Benchmarker
SG
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We checked in around 3pm. At first, everything seems fine, lobby was nice and all. But to my surprise, the hotel itself smells of staled cigarettes the moment we reached the elevator. The stench was pretty foul. The ventilation was bad & the bedsheet has stains.Then on our last day, we checked out and made our payment. The change was SGD20. My friend requested for the cashier to change to all $5 note. When we went out we realise that the cashier only gave us 2 notes instead of 4. When confronted, she kept denying, saying we only gave her 1 $10 note. My friend couldn't be bothered with the cashier anymore and left the arguement, as we need to catch the ferry. Fine, u want to take our money go ahead, remember, karma retribution ain't gonna be nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

I'll be back to this hotel's with my familly everytimes we're visited Batam city, 'coz the location of this hotel's side by side with Batam Lucky Plaza.

• Stayed December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

As we have checked in late night (around 10-11 pm) we didn't have much choice.This hotel got very good reviews here that's why we stayed there.To my horror when we got there, it's so old! It smells of of mildew & stale cigarette smoke-must be the curtains and the carpeting.
We were tired and just ordered room service-the food must be very local as my husband and I didn't even finish our food.Then we asked for couple massage.That's the last straw-all the 2 girls who went there to massage us used very cold cream, they kept talking and was touching my husband (the one massaging my husband) in ways other than therapeutic, like they were just playing.The buffet breakfast wasn;t that good either-just something to fill our stomachs with.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HoneyBun000
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

This was my second stay at Formosa Hotel, first being 2 yrs ago. i am quite impressed this time around as the place esp the lobby looked much better and the room much cleaner and yhe bed very comfortable, I came back to this hotel because of its convenient location, close to a big mall, money changers, food outlets etc.
I paid IDR 310k for the room at one of the travel offices as I got off the ferry. I will certainly recommend this hotel for those on golf trips to Batam who will spend most of the day out on the golf courses. I have to mention here that some of the rooms have no windows so ask for one that has them.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends