“5 Star is all in the mind.....”

and 1 more site!
Tempat Senang Resort
Ranked #1 of 105 Hotels in Batam
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Some hotels are 5 star rated yet leave you longing for more......and yet there are others which may not be rated, but deliver much more than you can imagine. Tempat Senang is one of those rare boutique resorts which are a must for anyone in and near Singapore.

I made the booking just 2 days before the trip and it was honoured. Considering they have only 8 - 10 rooms (and each one is unique with its own identity), it is pretty difficult to accomodate a guest in such a short time frame, but they obliged and it was sweet.
What strikes you is not the setting (in the lap of nature) but how beautifully its been created keeping everything natural yet providing the utility of modern things we are accustomed to. I found the cocunut sheet soap pump quite innovative.

We were taken care of very well and room service was prompt. The spa lived up to the reviews already on trip advisor and the staff was well trained, polite and courteous. I guess a lot goes in the background into ensuring that you cater well to the mix of clientele who visit the spa. I and wifey were in a separate terrace (rather room) which was large.....listening to the rainfall while the message was soothing the muscles was a lovely experience.

On the food front 95% people would be satisfied by what they have, but i and my wife are the fussy sorts. We are indian and generally like sticking to indian cuisine so the "Sprite Can Chicken" and the Pizza and the sumptuous breakfast kept us satisfied.....however we missed anything indian.

Yes....and just one advice...if you are staying in the Timor Room, the fridge is in the bathroom below the basin.....the door does not have a handle so try using something......it was actually embarrasing when we realised we had thought that the room had no fridge and then found it only while leaving.......
The room has a private pool in front, but it was cold that day so didnt venture into it for too long. It has also been raining so maybe thats what gave me a rash on the back after the swim.....but those are the perils of getting too close to nature........

I also managed to get a few good clicks ....like bumble beas sucking out necar from those white flowers......huge red ants on the red flower pods.....fishes in the mini pools and butterflies flying around.....
We borrowed a movie from the dvd library at the lobby....since there isnt much to do apart from that......it was good getting to catch on movies which one has missed.....

It was my first marriage anniversary and i'd let them know while booking.......i had thought (like i've experienced at other hotels - 1 star and 5 star) maybe they'd do something special.....maybe just a chocolate in the room......but i guess one shouldnt expect too much when you've already received a lot......

Room Tip: Try every room once.....each one is unique.....though i'd suggest the Bali Room since its close...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VishnuB

Reviewed November 30, 2012

My 5 gal pals and I spent the day here Wednesday and we were treated to one of the best spa experiences I've ever encountered. Between us we had wraps, hair treatments, hot compress massage, lomi lomi massage, office massage, Indonesian massage, Bamboo stick massage, wraps, scrubs, facials, reflexology and ear candling. We were all so impressed with the setting, staff, treatments and food that we are so looking forward to coming back again (and again!). Next time an overnight stay! Thank you Tempat Senang for taking care of us!
ps - one of the gals is coming again on Monday with her cousin for the morning :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bugj0
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a nice relaxing stay at Tempat Senang on a mid-week package at $290 nett per person (3D2N), and we topped up a little more to stay in Tree House, which is a deluxe suite. The suite was indeed very pretty, though the hanging bed, while novel, made us feel slightly giddy each morning.

Food-wise, we ate at the resort on both nights. We had the Nasi Campur, and the Beer Can Chicken on the second. It's pricey at $49 for a 2-person set for Singapore, let alone Batam. It would have been more worthwhile if it also came with a drink. (I wouldn't complain too much though, since the other option would have been to take a taxi out, which I wasn't keen on doing at night on our first trip to Batam. We might consider that for our second trip.) The Nasi Campur was very good, and the portions were more than enough. The Beer Can Chicken wasn't bad either, and it is certainly a unique dish. However they was just wayyy to much chicken for two people, and even with the two sides (mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes) I would have liked more variety .

We went for the spa treatments on both days. I really like the flexibility in mixing and matching three treatments from their spa menu. In all, between the two of us, we went for the Balinese massage, Lavender Scrub, Hot Compress, Mud Wrap, Avocado Cream Hair Mask, Honey Collagen Hair Mask, Office Massage, and Peppermint Scrub. We liked them all, especially the Hot Compress, Balinese massage and the Office Massage. The only negative was that there was an especially noisy group of women having their massages done in the next room, and we could hear their banter. It got very loud when their massages had ended and they were clinking their glasses (I presume that was the post-treatment herbal drink) and all. There are only partitions between each treatment room, so there is no sound buffer.

Overall, the staff were warm and friendly, and we had great fun browsing through their massive DVD collection. Perfect for us movie buffs.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mortonhv
Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you are looking to "getaway" - To Relax, Rejuvinate and Recharge - Look no further than a little gem of a destination called Tempat Senang.
This Boutique Spa Resort is located on the Island of Batam, a mere 45 min. ferry ride from Singapore's Harbour Front. It's close proximity affords you the luxury of Quality Pampering without the price ticket and time committment a plane ride requires. A Tropical Respite just minutes away!
Tempat's Balinese Furnishings and Lush Zen-like landscaping immediately Lull you into a state of comfort and ease. There are no pretentious attitudes here, just Happy, Proffessional and Gentle souls who genuinely care about YOU and YOUR experience at THEIR resort.
Tempat's spa treatments are Exceptional and go well beyond a technical level. There exists a special connection - one shared between you and your therapist - making their treatments the best I have ever experienced, ANYWHERE. Tempat's spa pkgs. are a tremendous value and ALL therapy choices, Wonderful.
So whether you ultimately decide on a day away or an overnight(s); whether it be with your spouse, partner or "the girls", please, do yourself a favour and get yourself over there. I promise you, your Body, Mind and Spirit ... and even your pocketbook will thank you.

Multi returning guest Kim R Singapore/Canada

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kimberley r
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Received a warm welcome upon arriving at the resort. Martha, the manager there explained to us everything we need to know and answer all our questions patiently. Give an introduction to the spa packages that they have and explained how every massage is done.
We stayed in the villa that is away from the resort.
Spa was great but try to avoid the hair spa.
Food was great. Love their sambal belacan!
Will definitely go back to tempat senang again!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms may look kind of eerie. Do take a closer look at the photos before selecting your...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eva-fei
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great short getaway! Online booking was fast and efficient with an email to the resort which was promptly replied by a very chirpy Martha. Stayed in the Treehouse room with a tree growing though it and a swinging Queen Bed hangling from the ceiling. Room was comfortable and 'atmospheric' (I love it!) though not as spacious as I expected. But good sized, nevertheless. Decor was very 'African' and tribal, giving the impression we were spending the night in a hut. Other rooms were situated quite close by so if you crave absolute privacy, it would be in the confines of your room with the blinds drawn.

Food was good. Had the Nasi Campur for lunch (included in add-on of another 3-hour spa package) and the Beer Can Chicken for Dinner. Portions were large. Chicken was tasty at the wings and thighs, flavourfully crispy on the outside and moist on the inside but as dinner progressed and we worked on the breast meat, it was considerably drier than our sumptous initial bites.

The resort has a full suite of spa treatments. Pretty good, I must say. Tried the Balinese and Office Massages and both were good and quite different. Balinese was very good if you would like to be massaged to sleep. I also liked the Office Massage as it felt like a cool down/stretch session after a workout - my limbs and body were manipulated for maximum stretch effect. My husband thought the Aromatherapy massage was even better than the Balinese. But the ear candling was so so and I didnt quite like the hot wrap as it got a bit uncomfortable at the end when it became hot and itchy. Hot compress was good and foot reflexology was decent.

Wifi at the lobby has patchy reception. Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't.

All in all, I thought the resort provided great value for a short relaxing getaway from the hustle bustle. It was wonderful not having much to do except, spa, eat and watch DVDs. And the other theme rooms were also intriguing. Intend to try the Joglo next time. Will definitely recommend the resort. You will not regret the experience.

Room Tip: Different rooms have different features. Timbur Room is opposite the Spa centre, Treehouse opposite...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bingp
Reviewed November 5, 2012

When I first entered ‘ Tempat Senang’ I thought hmm …. the translation means a ‘Happy Place’- how apt. The natural tranquillity, ambience and lush surroundings of Tempat Senang’ puts you in a relaxed frame of mind to enjoy a variety of spa treatments and massages.

Previously, I had tried the ‘Shiatsu and Swedish’ massage. This is very therapeutic for it soothes the entire body. I felt very invigorated after the session. The facial and aromatherapy were equally refreshing.

On my recent visit, I chose the ‘Balinese’ massage and chempaka (yellow flower) and rice scrub. Once again, very therapeutic for my aching muscles and stiff joints. Santi was very professional, pleasant and attentive. The ‘lulur’ is a scrub exfoliation using a combination of flower and rice, which made my skin feel very smooth and soft. I could actually smell a subtle lingering scent of the exotic chempaka flower. The experience was heaven …….and I would like to do this again!

I also had a hair ‘crème bath’ using ‘aloe vera’. Adih, was my hair therapist. This is a rejuvenating scalp treatment, whereby hair is shampooed, followed by scalp, neck and shoulder massage. ‘Aloe vera’ is applied and left to infuse with a hot towel for 15-20 mins. There was also a light hand massage.

The staff are cheerful and always greet you with a big smile. There’s continually new improvements, every time I visit. I left Tempat Senang… “happy place” … very happy and relaxed.

Regards