“Beautiful place but average service”

and 1 more site!
Tempat Senang Resort
Ranked #1 of 99 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Beautiful place but average service”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is my 3rd time to Batam Island and instead of opting for the usual Holiday Inn that I loved, my husband and I decided to try out Tempat Senang.

We went in January 2012 for a brief R&R as my husband had just returned from his military duties. The resort looks promising on the Internet so both of us gave it a shot (and also because of the very affordable spa treatments).

Check in was a breeze but I thought it would be much ideal if we are given the choice to settle down in our rooms and take a breather before we are asked to pick our spa treatments and/or lunch/dinner menu. I can understand that since most of the packages are on a 2D1N basis, everything might seem a bit rushed if we don't make our decisions there and then. Still, I would much prefer if we had a bit of time to put our bags and refresh ourselves before diving in the menu. The management might want to consider that in future.

Spa:
The spa treatments were all right, it was nothing to shout about. I had the Swedish massage and a Balinese scrub. I prefer the ones at Holiday Inn Tea Tree Spa but based on the prices that we pay for, I suppose it is understandable. I do not quite like the layout of the spa room. It feels like there isn't enough privacy for my husband and me plus the therapists hanging outside of our treatment room were fairly rowdy. I could hear them every time the door is opened and closed. I didn't like that. My girl was however accommodating & polite, always attentive to my needs during the treatment and that was good.

Resort/Room/Facilities:
The resort is quaint and refreshing. It pretty much goes along the lines of most villas in Bali. It's well-kept, clean and spacious. Most importantly, it looks exactly like how it should be in the catalogue.

F&B:
Breakfast choices was not much but filling. We had our lunch and dinner outside of the resort which was a much cheaper alternative. We had Bakso, nutella crepes, nasi penyet and much more.

Service:
Overall, it was all right. However, there is still room for improvement for some of the staff.

Tempat Senang is a good place to unwind and just chill with your other half if you're bored in Singapore.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
jborschberg, Owner at Tempat Senang Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
We appreciate your feed back and take your comments to heart. One of the reasons we ask you to pick your spa menu while we have you sitting in the lobby is all our ingredients are made fresh on site. While you are then in your room freshening up from the 45 minute ferry ride, the therapists are preparing this for you so when you arrive in the spa you will no longer need to wait. We have made the decision it is best for all in this order. Guests can help to shorten their check-in time by familiarizing themselves with our spa and restaurant menu online before their arrival as well.

We are happy to hear you found our resort quaint and refreshing and true to the images on the website, we are so pleased when our guests come to escape from the city and truly relax in our quiet, jungle location. Next time you would like to unwind and relax, even for the day, remember you can get here from Singapore in just under an hour.

Regards,
Jasmine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Indonesian first
Arizona City, Arizona
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Whenever i am in S’pore I never fail to go to Batam i just love the choices of message you can choose from for a very cheap price ,you can pick a half day or A full day Spa , on this trip i tried the Balinese Massage, Peppermint body scrub for a calming and refreshing feeling and the ear wax, I just might make another trip before i go back to the U.S this time i want to try the Hawaiian Lomi lomi massage . The staffs are great i only wish i remembered the young lady that took care of me but i am sure all the ladies are as good as the one that took care of me, Jasmine the Owner have selected some great staff to run this beautiful Spa.
Tempat Senang has different rooms with different themes which give everyone a different experience,I have just suggested to a friend of mine visiting from the U.S let your husband go Golfing while you have a full day Spa at the end of the day both parties are happy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We have just returned from a very quick getaway to Batam Island. I could not recommend Tempat Senang highly enough. From the very easy ferry ride from Singapore you are transported to a truly peaceful little piece of paradise. The villa is very small and it actually felt like we were part of the family. We were greeted at the ferry terminal by our lovely driver who drove us the 7 minute drive to Tempat Senang where we were greeted by the lovely Martha who had helped with our booking and answered my questions very promptly. We stayed in the Indonesian room which was tastefully decorated and had an amazing outdoor shower which I loved. The bed was so comfortable we slept until 09.30 the next morning. We had lunch in the restaurant which was simply beautiful. The staff at the resort are just beautiful and were very customer service orientated which is sometimes very hard to find these days. We also had an evening meal and breakfast which were all very good and very reasonably priced. The most difficult thing we had to endure throughout our stay was deciding what treatments to have in the spa. Simply amazing is the spa and the girls are angels. We really enjoyed the feel of the resort, it is quiet and really did feel very homely. We enjoyed a swim in one of the pools and went back to the pool area after dinner and enjoyed a glass of wine by the pool. We also had the opportunity to meet Jasmin who has done such an awesome job on the resort. All I can say is thank you for such a lovely weekend away and for the hospitality shown to us. We will most definitely be returning in the near future and I will be recommending this little gem to everyone I know!

Room Tip: Take Martha's advice on everything!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Connie294265
Reviewed May 29, 2012

1. The Rooms: Staying in this resort feels like you're living in someone's Balinese styled villas. Think different wooden Villas (the main Villa comprises of a cosy lobby downstairs and a kitchen/dining room upstairs), different themed rooms, greenery, water features, pathways built over koi ponds, archways with intricate carvings... it's almost as if you're in Ubud, Bali!

My partner & I chose the East Timor room, which is in fact a small hut/villa with its own mini-patio by the pool (the pool will probably be in fact exclusively yours as hardly anyone comes by the East Timor room set away from the other rooms and there is another pool closer to the main lobby- think privacy & exclusivity!). It was an awesome weekend deal at S$469 for 2pax, including transfer to & from the ferry terminal, bfast + a 3hour spa!

I also read that the resort has recently built 2 and 3 bedroom apartments, so its perfect for me to organize a holiday back with my family/friends!

2. The Service- Martha's a real sweetheart who greeted us with so many smiles and so much warmth you feel like your day's already made when you step into the resort! When we arrived, she helped us select our (a) lunch menu (b) choice of 3 spa sessions (c) dinner menu and (d) return ferry tickets. So our stay was very organized, which I totally appreciated (as I like my holiday all planned out!). Bustami (who did the evening shift) was equally friendly & cheerful, and Jasmine (the brilliant American owner who has done such a wonderful job with the resort), whom we met the next day, was the perfect hostess too!

3. The Spa: what can I say- i'm totally speechless- I chose the Balinese Massage, Cempaka Body Scrub and Avocado Hair Spa whilst my partner chose the Hawaiian Lomi Lomi massage, Hot Herbal Compress & Ear Candling- there many other options (Facial, Milk Bath, Body Wrap, Foot Reflexology, etc) we were so spoilt for choice!

The therapists were so meticulous and way better than the ones you can find in Singapore! We thought 3 hours would be overindulgent but in fact, when the spa session ended, we actually wanted to resume for another 3 hours!

4. The Food: I had the Beef Rendang for lunch, which was one of the best beef rendangs i've ever had! And the Beer Chicken we had for dinner (which was a 1.6kg whole chicken mounted on a beer can served with mashed potatoes and mixed vegs) was so innovative n yummy! Bfast was Nasi Goreng (i only have Indonesian food when in Indonesia- eat what the locals eat!) with a mini buffet spread of toast, juice + coffee! Kudos to the Chef!

5. The Movies: the lobby has a wide collection of DVDs- at least 80 DVDs- and their computer has even more new movies which you can copy onto your thumbdrive (which they will provide to you upon check-in) and plug in to your DVD player - so the holiday itinerary would be eat, spa, swim, & late night movie marathon!Perfect chilled out holiday for me!

5. Spa Deals: the resort also has awesome weekday spa deals (so I have the option to take half/one day's leave and go for a 3 hour spa on weekdays (at S$75) or on a Saturday/Sunday (at S$99)...it is way cheaper than options in Singapore! Also perfect for any hens' nights/birthday celebrations/actually, who needs any excuse for a 3 hour spa session???

6. The Ferry Cost/Journeytime: the Harbour Front-Sekupang return ferry tickets are only S$40 (all in) (i took Pacific Ferry)! The journey isn't too long too- at most 45mins- so I have the option of going in the morning/early afternoon for a spa session, have a late lunch/early dinner (with more Beef Rendang/Beer Chicken pls) and return to Singapore by the late evening!

7. The Spa Products: I also have to go back frequently n stock up on the heavenly spa products that i bought from the spa- Avocado hair cream; the Cempaka/Peppermint Body Scrub; the Papaya Oatmeal Facial Mask and the Lemongrass Eyepillow! All natural & spamade products (costing about S$10+ per product)!

And so I can't wait to return...

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl K
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Everyone told us to avoid Batam, but we're so pleased we decided to stay at Tempat Senang. It was so quick & easy to get there from Singapore. It was the perfect trip for a bit of R&R when you need to unwind and catch up on sleep.

Initially it was a bit overwhelming having to make our spa choices, lunch, dinner and breakfast orders and times. It would be nice to be given the various menus and left with a drink whilst you think about what you want to do, as we felt a little rushed in making our choices. However other than that everything was great. Beautiful, peaceful setting, comfortable room and smiley, happy staff. They were very accommodating, even when we kept changing our minds re food orders, return ferry times etc. My husband's not a great fan of pampering, but he really enjoyed his Balinese massage and hot compress in particular. My aromatherapy massage and facial were great. The mud wrap we both had at the end was a bit of fun more than anything else. Perhaps next time we'd go for a scrub. Delicious, simple, well cooked food (although my poached eggs in the morning were a little undercooked for me - omelette looked great though). A great opportunity for an early night as there's nothing much to do in the area - with a well stocked DVD library though you can't go wrong! Definitely one to recommend. We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My husband and I just came back from Tempat Senang where we stayed in the Javanese Joglo Room. Amazing! Check out their themed rooms on their web site www.tempatsenang.com. it truly does look like the pictures. We were there for their specail 2N3D package but we felt lilke we had had been away for a week. It was truly relaxing (of course the spa package helped that) and the staff were attentive when we needed them but still respected our privacy. Nothing was too much trouble and they always greeted us with a smile. Now.....the spa....well when I say I had a 3hour spa treatment people say "oh sure, I bet they leave you for 15 minutes here and there to make up the time to 3 hours"...well believe me it was actually 3hours and the girls just went from one beautiful spa treatment to the next. Not once did they leave me to just lay there.;
I had a Ballinese massage, then a hot herbal compress which is also massaged in and lastly a wonderful head massage where they shampoo your hair, apply a cream of your choice and then simply massage in. I was in heaven so I went back the next day for another massage! Talk about spoilt! I am definately going back for a full day spa package in the near future. Check out all their specials! It is worth it and cheap! You cannot get anything like this in Singapore ..I have tried!
Thankyou so much to Jasmine, Hook, Martha and Bustami for looking after us so well.
x Julie

Room Tip: For romance I believe the Javanese Joglo room Or the Thai room which has its own fish spa...this is...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie Z
jborschberg, Owner at Tempat Senang Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for the glowing review. It's guest like you that give us renewed energy to keep going 24/7 . The hospitality business is not always easy and Batam adds extra chalenges . Good reviews mean everything to our dedicates staff. Thank you for appreciating what we have created with our little unique place. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Jasmine
Reviewed May 26, 2012

When Singapore is getting to you I highly recommend a quick mini break to the Tempat Senang Spa hotel on Batam Island. Whether for one day or the whole weekend you will spend less money than staying in Singapore, including the massage! A forty five minute ferry ride from Harbor Front and a short drive from the Sekupang terminal on Batam no stressful travel when you are looking for a quick and reasonable get away.
I have been there on five occasions; alone, with my hubby and with friends - we booked the whole place for a golf / spa weekend! The staff is very friendly and welcoming from start to finish. The rooms are unique and very comfortable. The restaurant and lounge are very cozy. I have enjoyed all the wonderful spa offerings; however, my personal favorite is the Balinese massage. Golf can also arranged at Indah Purih next door or one of the other golf courses nearby.
Our last visit, weekend of May 19, 2012 did not disappoint and it will not be my last. Great place to spoil yourself and return refreshed to busy Singapore.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends