“Thanks for the free New Year's Eve dinner”

Grand Darmo Suite by AMITHYA
Ranked #24 of 134 Hotels in Surabaya
Malang, Indonesia
“Thanks for the free New Year's Eve dinner”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during New Year's Eve. The hotel gave me free dinner at their restaurant for celebrating the New Year's Eve, pretty good huh? =D There was a band which played music all night long and they also gave door prize for the guests. Even though the food was simple but it was delicious. Spaghetti bolognese, fried rice, black pepper beef and also the pudding was super delicious. The design of the restaurant is also wonderful. The restaurant itself is located side by side with the (super) mini swimming pool.

The room is good, clean but small. At the time I stayed at this hotel, they gave the mini bar for free. I don't know whether that is their continuous program or just for New Year's eve only. Inside the room, it also has a microwave, safety deposit box, TV cable and hair dryer. The wifi works perfectly.

The location of this hotel is great. It is near Tunjungan Plaza, Surabaya Zoo, and many more. You can find any food stalls near the hotel, and walking distance convenience store.

I recommend this hotel for everyone, even you just traveling solo, with family or for business.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Indonesian first
Ambon
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights at grand darmo suite while christmas. It's a new hotel with clean and spacious room. Smoke free. Huge. Location was great, it's in convientent location right near the center of city. I got mini-plants (a kind of cactus) while check out as a xmas gift. The staff there really know what customer service means. Would return there.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

What I could say about this hotel is, awesome! I had travelled to surabaya for many times and had stayed in many hotels, and I would say that grand darmo suite is the best hotel in surabaya. For a business traveller like me, convenience during travelling is very important, and I got it here. From first time I entered the lobby, the ambience was really nice. The bellboy greet me with their warm smile, the receptionist did their job quiet fast so I can get into my room soon. The room was spacious, and I love the bed which had 4 big pillows. I got front side room so I can enjoy the city at night. When almost all hotel charge the minibar, here you will get it for free. I also tried the food in the restaurant, their oxtail soup is one of the best I ever had. But above all, what I like most from this hotel is their staff's friendliness and the location in the center of the city where I can easily reach my destinations. I will definitely stay in this hotel again when I come to surabaya. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank donz33
Makassar
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

So far this is the best hotel I've ever stayed with the budget if 500-600 thousand rupiah. The service was very good, very friendly and helpfull staff. Room is big and more important, very clean. After all of those time I told my children not to get anything from hotel minibar, this time I can say to them that they can get anything from the mini bar, because it's free. Yeay..... Most hotels will sell you things in the minibar overpriced. Grand Darmo refill your minibar daily for free, and they even still give you daily newspaper. The room service menu is also not too expensive and they came in big portion. I tried grand darmo fried rice and also soto, it was delicious. Breakfast was also good, they don't have to many varieties, but everything was delicious. The staff were always there to make sure that the food were still enough. We also got a souvenir, a cactus plant to bring home when we checked out. Perfect location, across the hotel there are many food stalls at Taman Bungkul. The only complain I have is about the shower that is not consistent, took a long time to wait for the hot water and after that it would be too hot. Over all this is a very good hotel, surely will stay here again next time I visit Surabaya.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

As an event organizer first time I knew where I was browsing through quite impressed dg first appearance. but from the comments there are a couple of complaints a business group including hot showers are not consistent and are forcing the use of space for meetings.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Zainul A, General Manager at Grand Darmo Suite by AMITHYA, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear 969harpa,

It’s another Amazing day at Grand Darmo Suite Surabaya..

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with the members of TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your honest opinion. We apologize if we fell short on your expectations with the meeting room and shower. We hope that we were still able to provide great service during you stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Darmo Suite soon.

Warm Regards,
Zainul Arifin
Banjarmasin, Indonesia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Let me start by saying that this hotel is a great place to stay. .. I was really blown away with the service. . From the moment at check in to security staff while I was there. . Rooms were spacious enough and comfortable. . Sightly disappointed with the bathroom, it was small and didn't have bathtub but filled with amenities we needed.. Enjoyable stay.. ..

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Okay, I write this review while I stay in this hotel, so I hope the management could somehow read the review and do something about it quickly, because there's some serious "unfortunate events" while I'm staying here. First of all, the location is good. It's located in front of a people park so there's good sightseeing around. When I arrive, the deluxe room is full therefore I got executive room which is pricy enough. Okay, I expect an "executive" quality then. When I arrive in front of my room, my key can't be used, so I need to call receptionist and ask for the replacement key. Neat. The room is only medium sized for executive room, but it's clean enough, and the view certainly stunning as I got the highest floor (ph level). When I try to open hotel directories book, I got the pages scattered on ground. Another "neat" event. Then, I try to turn the large tv screen on, it doesn't take a long time until I realized my remote doesn't work properly, even after I call the technician. The result is somehow dissapointing, and until they leave (and they say their apologize), I got my tv screen on, but with sweating hand trying to press the button to change the channel or adjust the volume. And the quality of the screen totally disappointing, it'a just basically a large screen tv with poor resolution, the kind of which I think they better somehow replace it with old tube tv instead but with more responsive remote control. Okay move ahead to the most unfortunate event of the day in this hotel: Suddenly a stranger guest enter my room (he holding the key too) which makes me so surprised. I dont know how he got the card to enter my room (and he was certainly confused too), but when I confront front office they just saying apologize for these inconvenience(s). I dont know if other had the same bad experiences here, or maybe it's just me in a wrong place/room, in a wrong time, but alas I got one of my worst hotel experience here. Good location, friendly enough staff, good food, too bad everything turn out worse than I ever imagined. I still hope tomorrow's breakfast is nice enough to lessen the pain though.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Gerry S,

It’s another Amazing day at Grand Darmo Suite Surabaya..
I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with the members of Tripadvisor.

It is obviously extremely disappointing to read of the frustration you experience while visiting our hotel. I have spoken with our Front Office Manager about the key problem to ensure a similar experience does not happen to anyone else. I have also spoken with our Chief Engineering about television problem. I am very sorry that you encountered so many concerns. Thank you for your honest opinion. Guest feedback is the only true way for us to measure the effectiveness of our service.

Although I understand you feel hesitant, I do hope that you will stay with us again and kindly ask that you please contact me directly for your next destination to personally look after your requirements (zainul.arifin@granddarmosuite.com)
We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Darmo Suite soon.

Warm Regards,