“Suprisingly Good Budget Hotel”

Hotel 88 Embong Kenongo
Ranked #57 of 138 Hotels in Surabaya
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at Hotel 88 Embong Kenongo just for one day, but if I ever in need for a place to stay in Surabaya, I'd definitely consider to come back. I chose the hotel mainly because when I looked for hotels near Gubeng Train Station, it was one of the recommended hotels. Well, I thought the train station was within walking distance from the hotel, but in Indonesia you couldn't really rely on the map, so it turned out that the hotel was located near the train station, but not near enough. I took the taxi to get there, especially because my luggage was quite heavy to carry around. Thinks I liked about the hotel were its clean and functional room and bathroom albeit rather small, comfortable bed, easy to get taxi (some of them were parked around the hotel), quiet environment and helpful staff. Thing that surprised me was the breakfast buffet. For the price, I didn't expect much but what they served exceeded my expectation in variety of food and taste. I got the cheapest room and it was worth every rupiah. I should mention though that the hotel didn't have lots of parking space so if you bring your own car, parking might be a problem and I wish they added coffee making facilities in the room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 2, 2014

First of - be careful when indicating this place to the taxi driver. There are two "hotel 88" in Surabaya and we ended up in the wrong one. Our taxi was already gone.

First disappointment: our bedroom (350k/night) has no window. The shower temperature is either very hot or super cold.

Service: we planned to go Jogyagakrta on the next day and needed some information regarding the train schedule. The receptionist (night shift) was not willing to help us in any way and simply told us to go to the train station to check by ourselves. I later found out that a website with all requested information does exist but it was in Indonesian. It would have taken 5 min of her time and in a business hotel, I can't believe that this information is not known by the reception.

Upon check-in, the same lady requested us to sign many different forms without explaining the purpose for any of them. I was previously staying in a hostel in Surabaya which could have been rated 5* service-wise compared to this.

Positive note: The bedroom was very clean. Breakfast is very good, although it takes ages to get the eggs. Perfect location next to train station (10 min walk). Mall next door - although outdated. Complimentary drinks at the reception. Good wifi. Safe.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Oeilaiguise
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Very clean hotel, in great position near Surabaya Plaza and Gubeng station. Wi-fi is good and fast, though you have to keep logging in if don't use for a few minutes, but that is a minor quibble I guess - breakfast was good - more Indonesian than Western, limited choice - but what was there was very good. Bed extremely comfortable, quite a small room - I stayed in the deluxe, but very nice - good shower, small desk, and extremely clean - unless you want to splash out for a full range hotel like the Majapahit, then this is the ideal choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BenM279
Reviewed March 29, 2014

It's only a 5-minute walk from Surabaya's Gubeng train station, which is what we were looking for when we spent one night before continuing east to Banyuwangi and Bali. We were happily surprised to discover that Hotel 88 was impeccably clean, with a very comfortable bed, TV with stations in English, and a shower with great water pressure.

We orderer room service for dinner as it was pouring rain outside, and the staff were very helpful to cater to our vegan requests. The breakfast buffet in the morning (6-10am) is quite extensive and had a lot of options for us to eat (the gado gado was amazing!)

Given that our room was just feet away from the breakfast area, we heard other guests enjoying their morning meal long before our alarm went off. We, therefore, recommend avoiding rooms 209-212 and 222 unless you are planning to get an early start to your day.

Room Tip: Try avoiding rooms 209-212 and 222 as they're very close to the breakfast area and you'll he...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bounding_Steps
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This budget hotel gives you the lowest fare in the surroundings area, which is located in the busiest area for business, leisure and government things in Tunjungan area. The room is modern yet clean provided with International TV channel (only less than 10 channels though) and good ambience. The breakfast was decent with not so many choices but tasty.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank scafio
Reviewed March 14, 2014

In early March I along with friends from Malaysia stop in the city of Surabaya, my choice fell on Hotel 88, located in Jalan Embong kenongo. right in the middle of my arrival night, especially with the Welcoming Reception Party friendly.at Lobby Coffee Drinks are available I think it is very delicious, where at midnight I can not meet the coffee shop.

the rooms are clean and have Wi-Fi in rooms

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank dukun_gunung71
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Arriving at the reception desk the staff is smiling friendly with the A/C firmly blowing cold air. The hotel is clean, white and business lik, value for money.
Our room was small, but comfortable. A comfy and nice bed, proper shower, notenooks, good wifi etc that makes it suitable for a more formal business stay.
On the first floor they serve Indonesian as well as Western breakfast with enough options to choose from.
I would recommend this hotel if you are on a transfer (e.g. by train).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple