“Wish the rooms were a good as the staff”

Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence
Ranked #30 of 138 Hotels in Surabaya
Reviewed April 11, 2014

After a long flight, I had the best food and some fine cocktails in the bar. Very nice, friendly and competent staff make you feel right at home. But then the room, the room itself is quit nice, beds are perfect but the bathroom is bad, very bad.
Appears to be not clean, you have to shower in the bad tub, which is a no go in my opinion, especially cause we stayed in a already renovated room. There is still work to be done there.
Breakfast was very good, a lot to chose from and here the staff is again giving it all. They're always smiling and very friendly. Nothing is too much. GREAT !!

Room Tip: We had a corner room, very quiet !
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and the feedback that you had given. I am sure my colleagues and I will be encouraged by your positive comments.
We will continue to work on the improvement of our bath room cleanliness.
Thank you once again and looking forward to Welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I was unfortunate enough to book the Superior Room for 1 night on the 6th of February 2014. I think there were fleas or some kind of bugs in the bed, because though I felt something crawling on me, I couldn't find anything. Nothing big, but noticeable. I did finally sleep through it though. The AC unit is in reverse, meaning you need to set the temperature on the thermostat higher in order to get cooler. I can't fathom how that works. Also, the toilet would drip and drip through the night. There was a celebration outside the hotel premise until midnight which I could hear quite clearly. All in all, go for the deluxe room or the executive rooms, those are renovated. The Superior is dated, to put it nicely.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank heath71
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thank you so much for your comments and I am glad to inform you that all the superior rooms will be fully renovated by the end of April which is our last batch of hotel rooms to undergo the renovation program.
I had also noted your comments on the rest of the issues and will assure to you that we will rectify it immediately.
Thank you once again for staying with us.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My third stay at the hotel at the request of my guest. Also, wanted to try out again because I was told all room has been fully renovated and upgraded to Deluxe (upgraded rate too!). But, to find it's not entirely so, especially the bathroom. Furniture, wall and carpet are pretty new though. Nevertheless, still a good choice for business travellers and pretty affordable rate.

Room Tip: Get a room near the elevator because internet access for room at the back is as good as none.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us for the 3rd time. Yes, it is the location that is ideal for business travellers especially for those that need to travel to factories just outside Surabaya as we are located just at the toll of the highway.
I had noted your comments and will sure to look at the internet access for those rooms at the end of the corridor.
Thank you once again for your comments and looking forward to your 4th visit.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

It is a modern4-star hotel with very attractive rates. It is spacious and clean. The rooms are quite nice and have all the necessary amenities, however it was noisy, probably due to some repair work. The rates are very good for this kind of hotel, but avoid having breakfast there. At 18 USD it is just not worth it. The staff is quite friendly but the check-in process was long. I would definitely recommend staying there, but the area is quite isolated. It is not a problem in getting taxis, as the hotel staff is very helpful. I would prefer, however, staying in the colonial part of town, which has a little more to see. It does have a nice swimming pool. Overall, however, good value and good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. Yes, indeed the hotel rooms are pretty nice now after the extensive renovation that we had done. In another 2 months, all the hotel rooms will be fully renovated. I apologize for the noise that had caused some invonvenience to our guests.
Location is one of the main factor that guests choose our location as it is near to the highway toll and very comvenient for them to get to their factories and offices. There are also numerous restaurants just outside our hotel.
Thank you once again for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
Happy New Year in advance.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed at Somerset for two nights in a deluxe hotel room. This was one of the renovated rooms, and had a very comfortable king size bed, desk and chair, WiFi access and a nice city view. The bathroom is very small, but the amenities are sufficient. Staff were very friendly, however the service in the hotel restaurant was very slow. My colleague and I were the only ones in the restaurant a one night, and drinks still took 15 minutes to reach our table. One lunch service our meals took almost an hour to reach us, despite us being some of the few people in the restaurant. Once it did reach us, the food was fair quality.

For the price of this hotel, I can't really complain. It is also very conveniently located near the Toll road on ramp making access to the airport, city and Gresik very easy.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side have good city views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments.
The waiting time is definitely not acceptable by our own standard and I am so sorry to have let you waited so long for the food and drinks to be served.
I had taken note of your feedback which we will work on it right away.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Somerset Hotel in Surabaya City make me comfortable during my stay at the hotel. Starting from check in, stay and check out.
Warm welcome and helpful from the staff during check in help me to go out fast to catch up my activity. Only minor problem when I ask to extend my stay, and this is not their fault, they allow me to take a rest at the room while waiting for confirmation for extend. The room service staff also help me to choose my vegetarian menu. Talking about menu, the main course is delicious, the dessert named Es Cendol (Indonesian traditional ice cendol with Sago Mutiara, coconut milk and palm sugar) also nice, but the vegetable spring roll is not so satisfying to my taste, but I have to wait more than 45 minutes before the menu served. The room is clean and well managed, the only problem for me is that there is not jet shower.
Over all I satisfied during my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and the positive comments. I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with us at the Somerset Surabaya.
Due to the location of the property which is near to the highway and toll, it is indeed a preferred choice for all business visitors to Surabaya.
Our new Terakota and room service ala carte menu had been well received since we launch in in early October.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
Best regards.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

"everybody knows your name" is a part of the theme song from the TV series Cheers.At somerset it doesn't take long to the staff to recognize you and call by your name when they see you. Locate d at a convenient point midway to the Surabaya city from this airport this value for price hotel is just on the exit of the tool way.
The price is reasonable and the facilities are good. I have been very spoilt by the polite and friendly staff as I have patronized this fine establishment numerous times. Most rooms are newly renovate and non smokers need to request your preference.The lounge bar area is little gem where a duo plays soft music. I do miss the talented 7 piece band who could play songs in several languages. It is place where you can relax in the evening as most Indonesian clubs and bars play ear drum bursting sounds. You can also order the evening meal there as well as the restaurant upstairs but the menu had not changed in years. If you are bored of the hotel menu If you always walk out of the hotel there is a variety of restaurants ranging from Padan to seafood. All in all best hotel for value in Surabaya.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

THANK YOU so much for the wonderful comments and I am sure my colleagues and I will be encouraged to do even more for all our guests.
You said it right, the location is an added advantage as we are just outside the toll and next door to us, there are numerous restaurants to go to.
I am glad to announce that we had just launch our new Terakota Cafe new menu a few days ago and I am sure you will enjoy our new selections.
Thank you once again.