“Nice Hotel with good value but in an isolated area”

Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence
Ranked #57 of 134 Hotels in Surabaya
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice Hotel with good value but in an isolated area”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

It is a modern4-star hotel with very attractive rates. It is spacious and clean. The rooms are quite nice and have all the necessary amenities, however it was noisy, probably due to some repair work. The rates are very good for this kind of hotel, but avoid having breakfast there. At 18 USD it is just not worth it. The staff is quite friendly but the check-in process was long. I would definitely recommend staying there, but the area is quite isolated. It is not a problem in getting taxis, as the hotel staff is very helpful. I would prefer, however, staying in the colonial part of town, which has a little more to see. It does have a nice swimming pool. Overall, however, good value and good hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. Yes, indeed the hotel rooms are pretty nice now after the extensive renovation that we had done. In another 2 months, all the hotel rooms will be fully renovated. I apologize for the noise that had caused some invonvenience to our guests.
Location is one of the main factor that guests choose our location as it is near to the highway toll and very comvenient for them to get to their factories and offices. There are also numerous restaurants just outside our hotel.
Thank you once again for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
Happy New Year in advance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed at Somerset for two nights in a deluxe hotel room. This was one of the renovated rooms, and had a very comfortable king size bed, desk and chair, WiFi access and a nice city view. The bathroom is very small, but the amenities are sufficient. Staff were very friendly, however the service in the hotel restaurant was very slow. My colleague and I were the only ones in the restaurant a one night, and drinks still took 15 minutes to reach our table. One lunch service our meals took almost an hour to reach us, despite us being some of the few people in the restaurant. Once it did reach us, the food was fair quality.

For the price of this hotel, I can't really complain. It is also very conveniently located near the Toll road on ramp making access to the airport, city and Gresik very easy.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side have good city views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments.
The waiting time is definitely not acceptable by our own standard and I am so sorry to have let you waited so long for the food and drinks to be served.
I had taken note of your feedback which we will work on it right away.
Thank you once again.
Semarang
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Somerset Hotel in Surabaya City make me comfortable during my stay at the hotel. Starting from check in, stay and check out.
Warm welcome and helpful from the staff during check in help me to go out fast to catch up my activity. Only minor problem when I ask to extend my stay, and this is not their fault, they allow me to take a rest at the room while waiting for confirmation for extend. The room service staff also help me to choose my vegetarian menu. Talking about menu, the main course is delicious, the dessert named Es Cendol (Indonesian traditional ice cendol with Sago Mutiara, coconut milk and palm sugar) also nice, but the vegetable spring roll is not so satisfying to my taste, but I have to wait more than 45 minutes before the menu served. The room is clean and well managed, the only problem for me is that there is not jet shower.
Over all I satisfied during my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and the positive comments. I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with us at the Somerset Surabaya.
Due to the location of the property which is near to the highway and toll, it is indeed a preferred choice for all business visitors to Surabaya.
Our new Terakota and room service ala carte menu had been well received since we launch in in early October.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
Best regards.
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed October 1, 2013

"everybody knows your name" is a part of the theme song from the TV series Cheers.At somerset it doesn't take long to the staff to recognize you and call by your name when they see you. Locate d at a convenient point midway to the Surabaya city from this airport this value for price hotel is just on the exit of the tool way.
The price is reasonable and the facilities are good. I have been very spoilt by the polite and friendly staff as I have patronized this fine establishment numerous times. Most rooms are newly renovate and non smokers need to request your preference.The lounge bar area is little gem where a duo plays soft music. I do miss the talented 7 piece band who could play songs in several languages. It is place where you can relax in the evening as most Indonesian clubs and bars play ear drum bursting sounds. You can also order the evening meal there as well as the restaurant upstairs but the menu had not changed in years. If you are bored of the hotel menu If you always walk out of the hotel there is a variety of restaurants ranging from Padan to seafood. All in all best hotel for value in Surabaya.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
THANK YOU so much for the wonderful comments and I am sure my colleagues and I will be encouraged to do even more for all our guests.
You said it right, the location is an added advantage as we are just outside the toll and next door to us, there are numerous restaurants to go to.
I am glad to announce that we had just launch our new Terakota Cafe new menu a few days ago and I am sure you will enjoy our new selections.
Thank you once again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have only stayed one night in the De Luxe room. The room rate is reasonable. The room is spacious. The bedroom has tile flooring. The internet connection has average speed. The twin bed is quite comfortable. The breakfast spread is good except for "juice" as it is sweet and artificial tasting.

My only bad comment will be in the bathroom. The floor felt sticky, the flush has some stains, "white" towels looks grey and one of the hand towel is stained. When I tried to use the small soap placed on a tray, it was stuck there. Most probably it was not being used by the guests and it got wet at one point and then dried up. The boxes of amenities are water stained and looked old. The bath tub also served as a shower cubicle. Nice water pressure and temperature can be easily adjusted.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us even though it is for 1 night and your valuable comments.

We will continue to improve on our housekeeping attention to details especially the toilets in the guest rooms.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have stayed at Somerset Surabaya several times in the past years and I must say that most of rooms bathrooms would need a renovation like the one they did in some of the floors. If you are not a smoker, please ask for a non smoking room when checking in because they will give you a smoking room and some of them smell like an ashtray.

The rest of things in the hotel are quite good. Breakfast is excellent, except for the powder juice, and also pool and gym (thought small) are OK. They have a good happy hour from 5 to 8pm but you can order happy hour beers before 8 and have them later. There are some good restaurants nearby just walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your valuable comments.

I am glad to inform you that by end of this year, all the hotel rooms will be renovated and I am sure it will provide a better experience for all our guests. I totally agree with you that our breakfast spread is great and we had also received many positive comments.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was my first time stay in this hotel because i have to attend my cousin wedding. So far i think this hotel is great, i stay in deluxe room and the receptionist say that the room has been renovated. The breakfast are variated and very good (recommended).

Room Tip: Near Ciputra World mall and near many good restaurants
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comments. We are glad that you like our newly renovated rooms which is modern in design.
The newly renovated Terakota Cafe has a wide buffet spread for the complimentary breakfast for our house guests.