“hotel from hell”

Ranked #58 of 134 Hotels in Surabaya
jakarta
“hotel from hell”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

we were booked in this hotel by a friend who invited us to a wedding in Surabaya. The check in and the service is relatively good, quite attentive and prompt. The cleanliness is really terrible. The room carpet is dirty and so dated with so many spots. The pillow cases are dirty with the area around the head is of darker color, the pillow case might have been used for years and was not properly laundered. The bathroom is another area with the bathroom fixtures are so thick from years of not being polished. The shower area is so narrow that I have to stand side way in order to fit in, with molds in tiles. I have never stayed in a hotel this dirty. I was thinking of checking out right away but it was past midnight so gotta to bear it.....

Room Tip: none - not recommended to stay in this place.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ritaksm
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and there are no words to describe how sorry I am for your unpleasant stay with us.
I will ensure that it will not happen again to you or any of our guests.
My sincere apology..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Decided to stay in this hotel again, after my last stay more than a year ago, because it's quite conveniently located for us who go in and out of the city daily for business. Checking in was a pain. Our reservation through an agency was not handed down from their office to the front desk, leaving is sitting in the café for an hour. Internet service in the room was even a bigger pain, same as my last stay. Although all other aspects of the hotel remain pleasant, I guess no attention has been given to this little things to boost guest satisfaction. Nothing Change!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and I am glad you come back to stay with us after a year. Within the last year, quite a bit of changes had taken place.

We had a newly renovated Terakta Cafe which was in operation early this year. It serves buffet for the 3 meals and we also have an extensive ala carte menu and room service.

Many of our hotel rooms had undergone a full renovation and within the next few months, all hotel rooms will be completely new.

I will continue to look into the internet for the property and may install more routers to facilitate a smoother connection.

Thank you once again for your valuable comments.

Anthony Ow
Reviewed June 28, 2013

1st time stayed in this terrible hotel. Stay in deluxe room has been renovated for two nights. I have been into a lot hotel in the world but never been come across this worse customer service. Not recommended stay in this hotel at all. I would not go back even though is free stay! Too bad really. To the general manager in this hotel pls reviews your staff properly. The staff name is wardani.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nikolas46
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the feedback. I can fully understand how you feel and I am very concern about the service standard as it cannot be tolerated.
I am truly sorry and I apologize. I had also email to you separately to get more details and once after the investigation, I will reply to you personally. Please do let me know the details.
Best regards.

Travelers are raving about these Surabaya hotels

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My son and I stayed at one of the apartments recently. It was spacious. Airconditioning is good. But the good things stop there. There was no carpeting at all. Some of the tiles are chipped. The televisions are so old and small. There was only one bathroom to share. It was old.
The kitchen was very shabby. Moving to the bedroom, the bed was okay. But the pillows are not soft and fluffy. And the tv is put on the table.
On the second day, they sprayed the apartment with some kind of air perfumer or something, which made the air smelled bad and unbearable. I don't know why they did that.
And I couldn't get it why they didn't provide slippers. I noticed that the hotel guests get slippers. I should mention that they were nice enough to let me check out late at 3 pm.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
We will be completing our upgrading of our hotel rooms by end the 4th quater of this year and thereafter, we will upgrade the apartment units. We noted your comments and will take that into consideration when we renovate the apartments.
Thank you once again for staying with us.
Jakarta
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Well, as a serviced apartment, I might say not bad. But if you're looking for a luxurious hotel stay, you might want to skip this one.

I stayed there for 1 night only, in a group of 7 adults and 1 baby. We stay at 3 bedroom apartment.
Air conditioned works very well, TV a bit old fashioned (but we didn't spend much time in front of TV), Hot water available, In room WiFi also works well.

The breakfast also great, they provide the breakfast at the same area of Somerset hotel.

The location might a bit far from the City, and you might stuck in traffic jam. But the surrounding environment provide the experience of home.

Room Tip: Higher floor might be better for a city view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive comments and I am glad you had enjoyed the buffet breakfast that we served at Terakota Cafe.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya and Serviced Residence.
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed a night for business. Nice location, near to city centre and about 30 min away from airport. Did not go for hotel's breakfast as there is quite a variety of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Couldn't find a convenience store though. However, the room condition is a bit shabby. The bathroom could use some serious renovation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WengFai
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your valuable comments.
You have to try the breakfast the next time you stay with us. We have a wonderful spread of both local and International dishes with eggs, waffle, pancakes and noodles cooking right in front of you.
We had completed the renovation for some of the floors and by year end the rest of the hotel rooms will be completly renovated.
We look forward to Welcoming You back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 1 nite for business trip. The location it's close to airport. If have early flight it's suit u well. One comment only the hotel need big renovation on the bathroom. Shower was terrible & old. One thing that I loved, breakfast was nice & good.

Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Erik_Swy
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and we are glad that you had enjoyed your breakfast in our newly renovated Terakota Cafe.
I am glad to share that we had completed the renovation of some of the hotel guest rooms and the rest will be completed by the 4th quater of this year.
Thank you once again for the feedback and we will take your comments into consideration.
Best regards and looking forward to welcoming you back to Surabaya Somerset Hotel and Serviced Residence.