“Just okay.”

Ranked #53 of 134 Hotels in Surabaya
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Just okay.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My son and I stayed at one of the apartments recently. It was spacious. Airconditioning is good. But the good things stop there. There was no carpeting at all. Some of the tiles are chipped. The televisions are so old and small. There was only one bathroom to share. It was old.
The kitchen was very shabby. Moving to the bedroom, the bed was okay. But the pillows are not soft and fluffy. And the tv is put on the table.
On the second day, they sprayed the apartment with some kind of air perfumer or something, which made the air smelled bad and unbearable. I don't know why they did that.
And I couldn't get it why they didn't provide slippers. I noticed that the hotel guests get slippers. I should mention that they were nice enough to let me check out late at 3 pm.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
We will be completing our upgrading of our hotel rooms by end the 4th quater of this year and thereafter, we will upgrade the apartment units. We noted your comments and will take that into consideration when we renovate the apartments.
Thank you once again for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Well, as a serviced apartment, I might say not bad. But if you're looking for a luxurious hotel stay, you might want to skip this one.

I stayed there for 1 night only, in a group of 7 adults and 1 baby. We stay at 3 bedroom apartment.
Air conditioned works very well, TV a bit old fashioned (but we didn't spend much time in front of TV), Hot water available, In room WiFi also works well.

The breakfast also great, they provide the breakfast at the same area of Somerset hotel.

The location might a bit far from the City, and you might stuck in traffic jam. But the surrounding environment provide the experience of home.

Room Tip: Higher floor might be better for a city view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive comments and I am glad you had enjoyed the buffet breakfast that we served at Terakota Cafe.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya and Serviced Residence.
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed a night for business. Nice location, near to city centre and about 30 min away from airport. Did not go for hotel's breakfast as there is quite a variety of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Couldn't find a convenience store though. However, the room condition is a bit shabby. The bathroom could use some serious renovation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WengFai
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your valuable comments.
You have to try the breakfast the next time you stay with us. We have a wonderful spread of both local and International dishes with eggs, waffle, pancakes and noodles cooking right in front of you.
We had completed the renovation for some of the floors and by year end the rest of the hotel rooms will be completly renovated.
We look forward to Welcoming You back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence.
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 1 nite for business trip. The location it's close to airport. If have early flight it's suit u well. One comment only the hotel need big renovation on the bathroom. Shower was terrible & old. One thing that I loved, breakfast was nice & good.

Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Erik_Swy
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and we are glad that you had enjoyed your breakfast in our newly renovated Terakota Cafe.
I am glad to share that we had completed the renovation of some of the hotel guest rooms and the rest will be completed by the 4th quater of this year.
Thank you once again for the feedback and we will take your comments into consideration.
Best regards and looking forward to welcoming you back to Surabaya Somerset Hotel and Serviced Residence.

Travelers are raving about these Surabaya hotels

Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Only one night in this hotel. Service was efficient and satisfying.
To be honest, did not spend much time in the hotel but everything was perfect and smooth.
Its quite a distance from big road which make it good enough to stay away from traffic noise.

Worth to try when you are in surabaya

• Stayed September 2012
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive comments and it is the location of Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence that made it a choice property for many of our guests.
It is close to the toll, near to the highway that brings you to all the manufacturing hub, away from the traffic jam and the nearest hotel to all the Golf Courses.
Looking forward to Welcoming you back to Surabaya.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel is cheap for food. You can get breakfast and dinner here for only less than 100.000 rupiah per person. Serve in buffet style will make you enjoy this hotel. The menu is quite a lot so we can choose as long as we can eat.

The swimming pool and fitness center is great. Clean water and also clean room in fitness center.

Bed room is awesome but for Indonesian people will not like the bathroom. No shower to complete the toilet. You need to use your imagination to clean it after you do something in toilet. The bathtub is quite small so if you use the shower you cannot have enough room to do something else.

Room Tip: Rooms is good, but if you can get swimming pool view that will be great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive response and I am sure my colleagues and I will be motivated by your feedback to do even better in the future.
I totally agree with you that after our newly renovated Terakota Cafe started operation, we had received numerous compliments for the food, layout and of course the pricing.
Thank you once again for the support.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This service apartment is so outdated, with horrible DIRTY furniture, dirty curtains, offensive smell, old 21 inch screen TV, probably the worst lighting on any place I've stayed at. The feeling is like walking into a warehouse. I arrived late in the evening with two tired kids and paid in advance. I was so disturbed I tried looking for another hotel but ended up staying one night. I complained to the receptionist that the TV in the bedroom, wasn't working, and the phone in the living room wasn't working and no help there, just oh sorry. I cannot say enough of what a dump this place is. I booked for three nights but one night is more than enough. I do not understand how ASCOTT and CapitalLand could allow to put there name on this dump.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BGZBali
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
No words can describe how sorry I am for your unpleasant stay with us at the Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence. I am sorry.
The renovation for all the hotel rooms will be completed by the 4th quarter of 2013 and we will have a total of 282 fully renovated rooms. There are currently about 35% of our Service Apartment that are fully renovated and the rest will take a little more time due to the high occupancy that we are having right now.
I hope you will give me an opportunity to show you our renovated hotel rooms and apartments for your next visit to Surabaya and please drop me an email for your reservation.
Regards.