“Good and quiet place in busy surabaya”

Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence
Ranked #57 of 132 Hotels in Surabaya
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Good and quiet place in busy surabaya”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Only one night in this hotel. Service was efficient and satisfying.
To be honest, did not spend much time in the hotel but everything was perfect and smooth.
Its quite a distance from big road which make it good enough to stay away from traffic noise.

Worth to try when you are in surabaya

• Stayed September 2012
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive comments and it is the location of Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence that made it a choice property for many of our guests.
It is close to the toll, near to the highway that brings you to all the manufacturing hub, away from the traffic jam and the nearest hotel to all the Golf Courses.
Looking forward to Welcoming you back to Surabaya.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel is cheap for food. You can get breakfast and dinner here for only less than 100.000 rupiah per person. Serve in buffet style will make you enjoy this hotel. The menu is quite a lot so we can choose as long as we can eat.

The swimming pool and fitness center is great. Clean water and also clean room in fitness center.

Bed room is awesome but for Indonesian people will not like the bathroom. No shower to complete the toilet. You need to use your imagination to clean it after you do something in toilet. The bathtub is quite small so if you use the shower you cannot have enough room to do something else.

Room Tip: Rooms is good, but if you can get swimming pool view that will be great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive response and I am sure my colleagues and I will be motivated by your feedback to do even better in the future.
I totally agree with you that after our newly renovated Terakota Cafe started operation, we had received numerous compliments for the food, layout and of course the pricing.
Thank you once again for the support.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This service apartment is so outdated, with horrible DIRTY furniture, dirty curtains, offensive smell, old 21 inch screen TV, probably the worst lighting on any place I've stayed at. The feeling is like walking into a warehouse. I arrived late in the evening with two tired kids and paid in advance. I was so disturbed I tried looking for another hotel but ended up staying one night. I complained to the receptionist that the TV in the bedroom, wasn't working, and the phone in the living room wasn't working and no help there, just oh sorry. I cannot say enough of what a dump this place is. I booked for three nights but one night is more than enough. I do not understand how ASCOTT and CapitalLand could allow to put there name on this dump.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BGZBali
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
No words can describe how sorry I am for your unpleasant stay with us at the Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence. I am sorry.
The renovation for all the hotel rooms will be completed by the 4th quarter of 2013 and we will have a total of 282 fully renovated rooms. There are currently about 35% of our Service Apartment that are fully renovated and the rest will take a little more time due to the high occupancy that we are having right now.
I hope you will give me an opportunity to show you our renovated hotel rooms and apartments for your next visit to Surabaya and please drop me an email for your reservation.
Regards.

Travelers are raving about these Surabaya hotels

East Anglia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at the Sommerset for 7 days in early March. I had no complaints & everything was more than comfortable. The restaurant & buffet was great, rooms were comfortable & the staff welcoming. I'm returning to Surabayor in a couple of weeks time for a 14 day stay. I'm sure I will choose the Sommeset & won't be disappointed .....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive comments and I am sure my colleagues and I will be encouraged and motivated to do even better for all our guests.
Welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya Hotel and Serviced Residence in a couple of weeks time.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

one of my reason staying at Somerset Service Apartment because I need a spacious room for a family, and I choose 3 BR Apartment which have 3 BR, Living Room, Complete Kitchen and dining area. The price is reasonable and good breakfast. My only issue is they always forgot to give the bath towel, need to be request and the room is just standard, don't expect something fancy.

Room Tip: Take newly renovated room if any
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us. One of the reasons of Somerset Surabaya popularity is the spacious apartments that we have. Beside the 3 bedrooms apartment which is 139 sq meter, our popular 2 bedrooms are average of 100 sq meter. The renovated hotel rooms are also beautifully done.
Thank you once again for staying with us and looking forward to welcoming you back to Somerset Surabaya.
london
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Me and the wife stayed for 2nites at this place we took the 3bedroom suite it was the old non renivated room so we got it at a lower cost it was on the 25th floor it had 3bedrooms 2 with double beds and 1 with 2single beds all room have aircon the master bedroom me and the wife used had its own bathroom with bathtub and queen dbl BIG and big old tv with good channels english french german arabic chinese korean work desk with mirror and 1 seat huge windows can see the whole city good views very clean room all gels toothpast creams and flipflops towels too other bedrooms did not have any tv inside at all but both had good views and very clean too thay had a bathroom near side buy side of the other too bedrooms it was no bathtub just bathroom with shower that was old but clean this suite had a kitchen with gas inc oven too big fridge and microwave and extractor all pots and pans forks spoons knifes etc and a very small basic balconey and maids room with asian bathroom not too nice for a maid i think but all in all this suite is good had small ants that you cant realy see but that seems to be in most of asia i found them on tables only in food areas in the suite the livingroom is big has full black sofa set tv and meduim dinning table very clean finnish good floor most of all hot and cold running water and wifi service thay had small gym and medium swiming pool the food was ok too we got most of our from outside low cost and can heat in micro wave we did take the brekie that was full on buffet very good food drink and service hot too lots of business people there the staff are real nice and dont beg for tips in anyway we had my inlaws with us thay are very old 80+ and was made to feel welcome by all staff most of all the security team and front desk lady we stay in jakarta with our inlaws before thay are poor rice farmers thay say the last hotel was like a clean jail had no feeling but this place thay like it so much mother never like useing lifts but the lift there is fast 25 floors in 2mins or so its seems lol anyway will used again the held 6 of us me the wife mum and dad our nephew with is wife and it had free parking too fancy lobby with free drinks

Room Tip: non smokeing room are good and take top floors
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive comments and I am sure my colleagues and I will be encouraged by your feedback and will do even better in the future. We are glad to inform you that Somerset Surabaya is renovating some of the rooms progressively and I am sure that all our guests will feel more at home the next time they stay with us as Life is About Living.
South Kazakhstan Province, Kazakhstan
Reviewed March 2, 2013

For the goods:
I came for a business trip, working at the airport every day.My wife came with me, that is the reason why we choose serviced apartment rather than hotel
For me, the location was a compromise: mid way between the airport(for me) and city center(for my wife). Do not dream, Surabaya suffers - to a less extent than Jakarta - from traffic. So, wherever you stay, you will suffer from traffic jam.
However, out of the adavtnage that I was close to the airport, location is not great.
Most of staff is pleasant and smilling, but not all of them.
For the bads:
For the breakfast, hotel customers are separate from serviced apartment customers, and believe me, the breakfast for serviced apartment is very basic, and not tasteful at all (except the cofee) and limited choice.
Be careful if you pay your deposit by credit card (I talk for serviced apartment, not the hotel):
You will be refund also by credit card (it's in the contract), but they will deduct 1.7% from it, for commision.
Add on it commission of your bank, you might reach quickly 5% of commission taken out from the refund!
But the most surprising: they would refund your deposit...10 days after you check out.
That's the only alternative I was offered the day before I chekced out. They are very quick to charge your credit card immediately for the deposit when you check in, but when time comes for the check out, you are informed that due to the process and validation by accounting Dept., you cannot be refund before 10 days. And also because their terminal can charge credit card, but cannot refund.
I burst a fuse and refused this situation, I had to argue very strongly with the staff during the check out. By the way useless staff, just able to give calls without any results, and hidding behind "the procedure"
I finally demanded to be brought to the accounting Dept. immediatley, where I finally met an accouting officer very cooperative, who immediately refunded my credit card with adequate terminal.
So much emergy spent !
Imagine you are checking out, with a flight one hour ahead, believe me you would miss it.
Appartement furnishing/equipment was very basic. Believe me or not: this is the first time I see a washing machine moving in the room after being switched on!!
It was so much unbalanced that it was moving around, hitting the walls; somewhere quite dangerous. I contacted staff for fixing it. They first added bumpers around the machine, but did not fixed the issue at all. I had to request several time engineer to come and fix it definitively before situation improved.
The room were quite clean, but 2 giant cockroaches appeared after few days in the bathroom.
Usually, cockroaches are present when general hygien and cleanliness of a building is not good.
I managed to get a very efficent bug spray from staff, but I don't like very much breathing this toxic product. Anyway, cockroaches disapeared after I sprayed the whole bathroom.
Due to my work, I had to book taxi through the hotel desk, for a drop to the airport very early (around 0420) every day. Several time there was no show, impossible to know if this was due to the hotel or due to the taxi company. So be very careful when you book a taxi throught the hotel, if the flight is early morning, you might miss it and increase your stress, looking for an alternate solution, close to aircraft departure.Not reliable/responsible service.
Finally and globaly, I have to say that it's not a good value for the money.
The appartment I booked was 1 bedroom with a living room and kitchen in the living room.
After 1 month,I decided not to stay, and found for nearly the same rate and approx same location, a house (fully serviced) , with 3 bed rooms, 1 living room+dining room and beautiful private tropical garden(quite rare in Surabaya)+private pool, for the same rate!!
Up to you, for what you are looking for, but this awful experience with refund of the deposit at check out convinced me that I will not return to somerset.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank N J
AnthonyOw, General Manager at Verwood Hotel and Serviced Residence, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you so much for staying a month with us and I apolozise for the inconvenience caused to you and your wife.
The breakfast we served for our 137 units of 1 to 3 bedroom apartments is Continental Breakfast which is meant to be light for our long stay guests. Beside Continental, we added a few hot items and change the variety daily. We also prepare waffles and eggs of your choice fresh.
As for the 282 hotel rooms, we serve a full American Breakfast consisting freshly cook eggs of your choice, pancakes, waffles, freshly cook noodles, 10 bakery items, 12 hot dishes and many other items on our breakfast spread.
It is unfortunate that the refund process had caused so much inconvenience to you and I apologize again. I will look into it to make it more convenience for our guests in the future and will speak to the bank concern on how we can speed up the processes. The refund processes differs with different credit cards and the commission you mentioned is levied by the banks and not Somerset Surababya.
Thank you once again for staying with us and I must also thank you for your feedback in order for us to improve our services to serve you and our guests better.
Warmest Regards.