Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya
$32
TripAdvisor
$56
TripAdvisor
All reviewshorizon clubjamoo restauranthorizon floorfantastic hotelfive star hotelswimming poolluxurious hotelciputra worldciputra malllobby loungeroom servicebreakfast buffet isbusiness tripmeeting roomhotel staffmany choicesspacious room
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Friendly, helpful and courteous staff. Easy access from the airport via toll highway avoiding congested roads. Close to Ciputra World and Surabaya Town Square. Definitely a good, comfortable night sleep.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2013

During a 23 day trip to Indonesia I stayed first 4 days in Shangri-la and the last 4 days before returning to Australia. Without doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed at. The engagement of all staff I encountered was an experience in itself, they were happy, courteous, friendly and professional. The rooms are clean, modern and comfortable and the room cleaning, room service, laundry and administration were fantastic. Bonus was the quality band playing in the Desperado's Bar and the brilliant service by all the bar/waiting staff, thanks for a wondeful experience everyone at the Shangri-la Surabaya.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Martin B, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Phillip L,

Thank you for your review of your wonderful stay at Shangri-La Hotel, Surabaya.

We are delighted that you are satisfied with our service and facilities. We are looking forward to welcome you back again!

Warm Regards,

Martin Brenner
Shangri-La Hotel, Surabaya

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Coming to Surabaya for a business trip, I reserved the Shangri-La based on it's reputation and past service in other cities. I was not dissappointed with the Shangri-La, Surabaya! From the moment I arrived, through my stay and continuing through the check-out process, the team at this property performed thier jobs in an exceptional manner. Adjectives I might use to describe the team might include: sincere, warm, inviting, helpful, and caring. The facilities are in great condition and the property is very clean. The team at the Horizon Club on the Executive Floor was especially noteworthy and can only be described as "Excellent" in all respects. If you are going to Surabaya and need a great place to stay, I can recommend the Shangri-la.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Only had a short stay, checking in late evening and checking out early the next morning. When I saty this short a time, I want things to go smooth and quick that is exactly what you get at the Shangri-La.
There was a bit of a queue at check-in and within a minute extra front desk staff were summoned to attend me. The room was spacious and whilst a bit dated and slightly boring decor, everything was in immaculate working order and well maintained. The bathroom is large, everything works and all the necessary amenities are there. Good selection of TV channels and the the TV works perfectly, i.e. not the usual "snowy" picture you tend to get in local hotels. The Wifi works as soon as you switch on your laptop or Ipad and is relatively fast. The bed and pillows are perfect and the hotel is in a quiet environment. All the ingredients for a perfect night of sleep. My morning wake-up call came at exactly 6am as asked and the breakfast buffet was excellent. Check-out took 2 minutes and all the staff were smiling all the time. Trusted Sahngri-La hospitality and quality. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Im here on vacation and staying 8 nights. So far, I can say the reviews from others are accurate in that the property itself is nice but dated.
The showers and bathroom in general is very dated and the bath tub is particularly bad. I had a little malfunction with the plug in the tub as it came out and in trying to replace it, a really bad stench came p emitted from the pipes. It's not noticeable when the plug is in but whatever you do don't remove it from the bath tub!
Bed is comfortable, ample lighting from large windows and multiple lights/lamps in the rooms. Furniture is old, quaint and they have interesting lamp shades throughout the property.
The breakfast choices are quite good, but make sure you pre pay. I didn't include breakfast in my booking and opted to pay on the days I decide to eat in. This seems to be a cause for concern for the staff as they always say "but it's not included in your room!"
And I have to explain that I'm fine with just signing it back to my room... Perhaps a language barrier but the tones used are almost accusational.
The hotel seems to pride itself on customer service and they do make a nite to remember your name, coffee preference etc.. and sometimes provide surveys in his they could improve. Overall I'd rate the service here quite highly, they do act quite promptly on orders.
The lobby lounge area was my favourite hang out, good coffee, nice ambient music from pianist and singer(s). The wifi connection the ought the property is a little shaky but not too bad on low occupancy nights.
The biggest negative point I alluded to was the sleaziness in title.
They have a bar here called desperado. It attracts.. Shall we say.. A certain type of tourist along with a certain type of hostesses and working girls.
I tend to sit by the pool of an evening and without fail, I get propositioned for an "In room massage" with other services by patrons of this club.
If you're here with family, just stay away from level 1 after dark, it's can get rather awkward.

Overall, I'd probably come back here again only if they update the rooms. For the prices they are charging relative to the region, I would expect much more than what I received.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank GavinP12
Martin B, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear GavinP12,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments and observations and we hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Surabaya again in the near future.

Warm Regards,