“If walls could talk.”

Hotel Majapahit Surabaya managed by AccorHotels
Ranked #1 of 136 Hotels in Surabaya
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am fascinated with the relation of this colonial and art-deco architecture-style hotel with Indonesia’s independence history. Built in 1910 under the name of Hotel Oranje by the Sarkies family, the grand opening of this hotel was attended by the likes of Charlie Chaplin. The hotel was taken over by the Japanese during their occupation in 1942 and renamed Yamato Hoteru. During Indonesia’s struggle of Independence, this hotel was used by a group of British soldiers as the headquarter of the East Java recolonization, in particular, room 33. Headed by Roeslan Abdulgani, a group of Indonesian independence leaders barged into the room demanding explanation of why they do not follow the Republican administration but reverted to their former colonial roles. The pinnacle was the flag raising incident when on 19th September 1945 at 6 am, the Anglo-Saxon part of the hotel raised the Dutch’s red, white and blue flag. Fuelled by this incident, the Indonesian revolutionaries took to the street and onto the hotel, climbed up and tore the blue part of the Dutch flag, leaving only the red and white part that makes up the Indonesian flag – all in a matter of half an hour. Thus, the name Merdeka which means freedom or independence was given to the hotel. … and that was the reason why I specifically stay here during a stay in Surabaya. Check it out yourself. I ended up taking pictures of the hotel during my whole stay there, and imagining how it was when all those historical events were occurring. If its walls could talk, I bet you they’d tell amazing stories :D Oh, I left an item there and after calling and confirming with them, they arranged it to be sent to my home immediately. Awesome service!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Majapahit Surabaya managed by AccorHotels

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I suggest you look into surabaya history before your staying in this hotel. This is the place that ALL of that happened.
Very authentic and you will get the atmosphere that this totally has its historic value
Location is close to Tunjungan Plaza complex (1 day won't enough to go around that shopping mall)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hotel Majapahit once again delivered on its service and facilities. We decided to return for a weekend away and once again it was a pleasure. The hotel even though it is in the city, once you are inside it's walls, you are taken into an era of gin and tonics and ladies with parosels.
Our rooms was nice and clean and roomy. The garden is a beautiful tranquil place to sip afternoon cocktails.
The staff were very friendly in assisting us with making restaurant reservations.
Another thumbs up for this hotel from a bygone era.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flowerpolyn
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We returned to Surabaya after a couple of years absence, partly on business and partly for a pre xmas break. Our hosts had booked and paid for another hotel for us but our first thoughts were that there was only one place to stay whilst in the area and that is the Majapahit but we should stay at the other hotel out of good manners. This proved to be a bad decision (see my Surabaya Plaza review). After four sleepless nights and noisy days we made the change and booked into this, one of our favourite hotels. Everything was more or less the same as we remembered. However, one new addition was "The Maj Bar" which seems to have encouraged a mix of locals and an ex-pat following to listen to the 'rock bands' that play at the weekends. For us this made the small bar too noisy and hectic so we left on two nights for quieter pastures after one drink.
A disturbing change was the piped musak along the corridors of the courtyard rooms which robbed the space totally of any serenity and this hotel's intrinsic old world charm. Although the reception staff did turn it off when I complained. This was also true of the early morning through to lunch time with children let loose screaming and shouting,running around and past the suites that face the courtyard. No member of staff took them or the parents to task! The management really need to take this seriously as the privacy and quietness of the hotel and gardens are what make this hotel the best in Surabaya and probably beyond. Internet is very poor!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel-Majapahit, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majapahit Surabaya managed by AccorHotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Sirs/Madam,

Thank you very much for your comments during your stay. We are dedicated to provide “The Best in Class Service” by responding to all queries. We are currently upgrading our hotel services and facilities to reach higher standards and your valuable comments will definitely contribute to this achievement. We look forward to welcoming you again to our beautiful Majapahit Hotel and we wish you a Happy New year.

Heritagelly yours,

Melania Octavianti A.
Marketing Communications Manager

Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

My first visit to Surabaya and base on Trip Advisor rating I chose Majapahit because I wanted I stay in something more interesting. My impression is that this hotel has great potentials and with a few tweaks it could be great.

Here are some nice things about the hotel. It was very private and quiet which I like most. Maybe it was the low season. I was also impressed with friendliness and helpful staff. The good location center of town is useful. Another great feature is it is walking distance 300 m to tunjungan plaza shopping mall. Just head out the lobby and turn left walk until you see a pedestrian overhead bridge and cross that bridge and you are there. It has a nice pool but could be spruced up to make more classy. Gym was ok and has all the standard equipment. The breakfast spread ok. The room is huge with separate sitting area bathroom also large.
If you like antiques this is the place to appreciate them.
Some areas that need improvement. The
wireless although complimentary was patchy and difficult to get signal. some
mosquitoes in the room but did not bother me much. mosquitoes also a plenty In lobby lounge. In room amenities could be classed up as well by using toiletries from the spa instead of cheap standard fair. I think the property needs some some sort of aroma treatment to make it more smell more classy.

Overall a great choice because of the features above and a good price point.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel is very old and no lift. Just imagine you just did a lot of shopping and you should carry and take the stairs. The interior is oldish as well. The room i stayed is large yet sometimes i feel its spooky since the light is orange and the hotel is very quiet. I don't like that Not many guests when I stayed there. Generally westerner who stay in this hotel. Its a good location from shopping center (Tunjungan plaza). The breakfast is very nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Never regret in choosing this hotel stay.

Room: I simply love the room layout. Clean and tidy. The toliet is nice too. A good place for relaxation. I slept well on the bed.

Facilities : They have a free gym, swimming pool and jacuzzi for you to relax. Good to have them, since there isn't many places to walk around in Surabaya.

Service : Service is truly excellent. The staff are friendly and helpful. The receptionist assist me in activating my indonesia sim card. The cleaner greet me with MY NAME, when he comes to my room for cleaning in the evening. Offer to help me change the towel and close the curtain. Simply love the staff.

Breakfast: The breakfast was good. Variety of choices for you to choose from. Just that there are only 2 types of cereals and the sushi taste weird. I wish that they can have salmon sushi.

Internet connection: The internet connection in my room is very very bad. It always get cut off, and I can hardly do my work. The IT technician comes down to fix the problem , but the internet connection is very slow. I do hope that they can do something about it, otherwise it will be very difficult for me to check my emails. Especially when I need to watch video (20mins), the download takes about 2 hours to download it.

Also, everyday, you have to get a new password from the receptionist. It is very troublesome, especially my room is so far away from the reception. One login for one device. And I have 4 devices !

Lights in the room: The lights in the room is orange, which gives a very cozy and warm feeling. However, I wish that they can install white lamps, in which I am able to focus on my work. The lights made me feel very sleepy.

Airport Transfer: From the hotel to the airport, it only takes about 30 to 40 mins. the driver drove very fast and he keep pressing the honk. I wasn't in the hurry at all ,cause my flight is at 7pm and I leave the hotel at 3.45pm. I don't really understand why the driver was in a rush, and I thought perhaps he doesn't want me to be late for the flight. I cannot really rest well in the car. Upon reaching the airport, he just carried my luggage down , and drove off. His attitude was quite bad. No greetings, no smile. I pay like Rp210,000 for the airport transfer, so I do expect a good attitude from the driver.

This is totally different from the driver who drove me from the airport to the hotel. Other staffs, such as at the valet area, were very friendly and nice.

Overall: It is a great experience to stay in the hotel. There is room for improvement.

Room Tip: If you wish to have a quiet room, you can choose room 41 to 50. They are quite far. Roughly about 20...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jorine S
Hotel-Majapahit, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majapahit Surabaya managed by AccorHotels, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for letting us know of your comments during your stay and also for your very wise suggestions. We are pleased to inform you that our IT structure is in the process of been upgraded in order to reach new levels of service. We look forward to welcoming you again at our beautiful Majapahit Hotel.

Heritagelly yours,