Surabaya can be pretty jarring but this place will soothe it all away. The tropical gardens and historical architecture are beautiful and it's a pleasure to just wander around. The room was gorgeous and it's worth upgrading to an executive suite for the full experience - separate living room area, enormous bedroom and spacious bathroom. It's well maintained and clean, and apart from the festivities of fast-breaking during Ramadan, it's very quiet and peaceful. Even then, the dinner was always over by 9pm so not an issue at all.
There's a lovely swimming pool and gym and I had a truly excellent massage in the spa - as a spa junkie I can honestly say it's one of the best massages I've had anywhere.
You can easily access Tungjungan Plaza (TP) on foot in about five minutes and there you will find anything and everything you need. There are also lots of options for eating out if you don't want to eat at the hotel.
If you've been travelling round and roughing a bit or even if you're in Surabaya for business, try at least a night or two here just for the experience.
This hotel really rates as one of the great historical hotels in Asia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Majapahit is a historic luxury hotel in Surabaya, Indonesia. The hotel was founded in 1910 as Hotel Oranje by Lucas Martin Sarkies. During the Japanese occupation of Indonesia the hotel name was changed to Yamato Hotel. Mantrust Holdings Co. became the new owner in 1969 and it was named after the most enduring kingdom of ancient Indonesia. In 1993 it was formerly operated by the Mandarin Oriental group. PT. Sekman Wisata took over the hotel and changed the name to HOTEL MAJAPAHIT in 2006. Located on Jalan Tunjungan in Indonesia's largest city and capital to East Java, the hotel is located in the centre of Surabaya, close to businesses, government offices and the largest shopping district in Surabaya. HOTEL MAJAPAHIT is trully and oasis in the heart of Surabaya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Majapahit Surabaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental Surabaya
- Surabaya Mandarin Oriental
- Hotel Majapahit Surabaya Java