“Needs A Refurbishment”

Ranked #39 of 130 Hotels in Surabaya
Bali, Indonesia
“Needs A Refurbishment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

I booked this hotel through a accorhotels.com on May 2, 2012. My reservation number is G3F-0NF8. The hotel boasts itself as a four-star on the web site and I expected to stay in a hotel like that. However, my one night stay did not quite match my expectation.

I was staying at room 331. Once I entered the room, the age of the hotel became really apparent - this hotel definitely needs an serious upgrade!!
The hotel has a lot of problems. The side bed lamps was almost falling off, filthy carpets and chairs, broken curtains holder, old tube television, dirty balcony, very noisy air conditioner, very stinky mini fridge, old towels.
The bathroom is awful. The toilet bowl looks like it has never been scrubbed for years. There was no hair dryer in bathroom. The bathroom walls had corroded in some places. The bathtub brick was broken & had a big hole in it. It appears the housekeeping staffs of the Novotel Surabaya has a serious dedication to doing as little cleaning as physically possible. I cannot believe I endured this place for even a night. I took pictures that I can upload.

I must say thank you to the ladies in front desk. When I checked in & checked out, I received a warm reception from them who also was more than happy to help me with questions and concerns throughout my entire stay, both of them, as well as the rest of the staff, provided an upbeat, welcoming presence

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Denny L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Every time I and my husband return to Surabaya, we always stay there. Because the location it's combinion from my parents house and close to the big shopping mall, Carrefour. Our favourite room is the one that has easy acces to swimming pool, the swimming pool is our highlight. Nice room, clean, and friendly staff. The only issue is they really need to improve the Internet acces. Now days many hotel either small or big, either star hotel or not, one of their attractive marketing is free wifi. At Novotel they still make us pay or acces 15minutes free at the lobby.

Room Tip: The same level as the swimming pool if you use the pool regurarly.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

The lobby and grounds look great but our apartment was dreadful. We had a 2 bedroom apartment that was badly in need of repair. I really have no positives to say about any of it. Everything was old and Falling apart. Maybe the normal rooms are better, but this was the worst "suite" we have ever stayed in. Also, when I made the booking it said breakfast would be an additional 52000 rps, but when we checked in was told breakfast was 100000 rps, almost double!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights occupying two units of 2 bedroom apartments + 1 unit of premier room.

In summary, my findings as follows:

1) Good location, not exactly in the busy city centre but close to everywhere. So hotel is quiet.

2) Hotel surrounding/landscaping is huge. Well maintained.

3) Good Buffet Breakfast - wide spread of selection

4) Rooms are clean and comfortable.

5) Friendly staffs all over

6) They gave us some pastries during our midnite check-out (as we are heading to Bromo - so couldnt make it for the next morning breakfast). Plus point on that
Cons:

1) Apartments are very old - as if we are back in the 70's. High time for novotel to refurbish those apartments.

2) Bad/Poor shower facilities at the apartments

3) No free wifi - even the free wifi at the breakfast restaurant is not working properly

4) Lobby air-conditioning system was switched off at midnite - very hot and stuffy for guest checking in midnite or those who wanted to use the free internet at the lobby after midnite

Overall, it is an ok hotel with old apartments. However, the premier rooms looking good (after refurbishment). Will definitely stay here again if they maintain the same rates for the rooms and apartment. Not a bad choice overall.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends