“Good value but some downpoints”
Review of Da Rifi Hostel

Da Rifi Hostel
Da Rifi Hostel
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It's certainly different! It is very homely and there are many free things (breakfast items, simple foods when hungry, laundry, lockers downstairs etc.). This is great and what is advertised. There is hot water showers but it may need fixing as it pumps out boiling water on and off, and rooms also get rather hot as the AC doesn't work. Lots of helpful information on how to get to places by bemo, but the city centre is really far away. I suggest if you are taking the train to go to Wonokromo instead of Gubeng. It's much closer.

The hostel doesn't have a social vibe because the seating/dining area is not really suited to it. There's stuff everywhere and nowhere comfortable to sit and relax. So if there are other people there (it's not that busy though) you may not see them. The owner is always trying to be helpful which is great, but I'm not sure she always listens fully and can then be quite imposing with her solutions and ideas. I think this causes some misunderstandings maybe.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Darifi, Owner at Da Rifi Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Wanderee,
Thank you very much for your review, and before I explain what you complained, I apologize if my words don't fit with your feeling as I really don't mean to make harrashment to you.
About the hot water of shower, I don't know where you mean as I have checked, all works as well. You should have shown us so we can fix it as well. But I know, the shower has many options which may confuse you.
About AC, it is controlled from central electricity channel. The price of AC rooms is different with fan rooms. If you want AC, you can tell us and we can open the AC, but you must agree to pay more. AC is IDR 100,000 per person per night, while fan is IDR 75,000/person/night. But we prefer to offer fan rooms as we concern on environment friendly and we have made the building has high ceiling to accomodate fresh air as much as possible. That's why we almost never offer AC ,except for people who really ask it. We don't want to make our hostel become more expensive to you if we ask you more charge.
About the public area, we are sorry that we are small hostel. We only have one public room as shared dining rooms to eat, watching tv, reading. but is that the aim you stay at hostel to know each other more closer? Iam sorry if I make mistake about this, but we are sorry we cannot make larger because that's the only space we have. I dream to make bigger hostel with bigger capacity and I will concern about your request. Please, help me to pray to make this dream comes true.
About city center, I have tried to tell in any website I can reach, that Da Rifi lies in airport area and not at city center and anyone who is concerned at city center, please don't stay with us as we are far from city center. Even it is easy to reach city center by public transportation. So,please, anyone who wants to go to city center, please, don't stay with us. We are close at the arport and bus terminal Purabaya at Bungurasih, not city center. So, please don't give low rating of review about location. This always makes our rating is getting lower and lower because it almost has low review at location which impacts to whole review.
Dear Wanderee, we listen to your voice and we are really appreciated of your review. Again, thank you and all the best for you....

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I shared a review which I thought was fair on this Hostel on another website. When asked if the Hostel provided what was advertised, I had said no.

The manager, Dyana, had my email address from my booking, and when my review went public, sent sent me a barrage of long emails over the period of several days - they were insulting, accusatory and bordering on being abusive. Her emails responded in great detail to every single point that I had made in my review, and told me how wrong I was on every single point. I was mis-quoted and accused of cheating drivers. I have had to make contact with the booking agent to get her to stop sending me insulting emails. For this reason alone I would not stay here again and will not recommend this Hostel.
This manager also forwarded emails (complete with their email address) to me from other backpackers, saying how great the owner is - this is a breach of their privacy. I am sure that other backpackers would prefer to not have their details sent to someone that they do not know.
If you do stay here and are arriving by train - try to organise a driver beforehand - the mini-bus system is effective but the drivers won't know where you want to go, and their English is limited (being a non-English speaking country and all). The Hostel is a long way (over an hour) from the train station and is about 20 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mitchell456
Darifi, Owner at Da Rifi Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Mitchel456,
I really beg your apology if you think I made harrashment, but I didn!t. I tried to explain you in details what you made complaints because all your have complained were wrong. You should have asked me in the location if you think it was not working , etc. Again, I tell you, the driver of minibus didn't cheat you. You asked him to deliver in front of hostel that's the reason he asked you more than public transportation fee. Even he can't speak English, believe me, mostly Surabaya people are kind and welcome to tourists. Please don't judge every thing you don't know well from your side. In this forum, I would like to apologize anybody who thinks she is right. But, any body who would like to know about public transportation in Surabaya, my pleasure to explain by email or SMS how to reach certain place, even you don't stay with us.
All the best,

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Very nice staff and cosy feeling. Free laundry, wifi and breakfast. Rooms not that special but with fan (dorm style several beds, but when we stayed there was no oneelse). Short walk to a street with many places to eat etc. I can recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013
5  Thank slwm123
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Da Rifi for 2 nights. Diana, the owner, organised a driver, Arief, to pick us up from Gubeng train station, as the location is a little difficult to explain.

We also used Arief to take us to Mt Bromo and he was very helpful all the way, with suggestions on the best use of our time.

The price at Da Rifi is great for the friendly service you receive, but it is far away from the Old City, where most of the tourist attractions are found. The public transport is adequate and cheap, but it takes 1 1/2 - 2h to get close to the attractions. Taxis are easily accessable, but is much more expensive and are not much quicker.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hostel locate in local people residence, The room is clean, share bath room, available shampoo, no tooth brush and paste, no body soap, many mosquote, you should prepare own lotion mosquote.the owner helpful, not noisy
Far from shopping mall, tourist spot, near by juanda airport. About Rp.35.000/taxi to airport
The owner provide simple breakfast as like bread and noodle. Free coffee or tea.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Romida_Marbun
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The design of the hostel is definitely aimed at backpackers. And for them it is great! We had a spacious and clean room. The shared bathroom was open-air and clean as well. And the owner is a very kind person who will help you in all matters and who prepares lovely fruit juices every morning (which are for free!). Unluckily we have been almost the sole guests so that the big common area was of no real use to meet people. Cons of the place: far away from city center and a lot of mosquitos!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Arriving it looks just like a house. And that is more or less what it is. The dorm room we stayed in had a broken air con but the owner quickly provided fans to help with the heat. The only negative was the noise but that was from other guests.
The lady running the hostel is extremely nice and will do whatever she can to help you! Towels and blankets are readily available as is a laundry service. Breakfast is also provided and was the best food I experienced across my 4 day stay in Java.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends