Da Rifi Hostel
    Halogen Hotel(Surabaya)
    Average 3/5
    Great 4.5/5
    Very Good 4/5
    See what travelers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed October 29, 2012

Arriving it looks just like a house. And that is more or less what it is. The dorm room we stayed in had a broken air con but the owner quickly provided fans to help with the heat. The only negative was the noise but that was from other guests.
    The lady running the hostel is extremely nice and will do whatever she can to help you! Towels and blankets are readily available as is a laundry service. Breakfast is also provided and was the best food I experienced across my 4 day stay in Java.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
    2  Thank Nano_Nick
    Reviewed September 9, 2012

My stay there was really good. I would recommed this hostel to anyone in Surabaya. In special if you plan to travel to Bromo. Dyana was really kind. She gave me all the tips I needed to make my plan of the places I wanted to visit in Java, always thinking about the best prices. This helps me a lot to prepare the trip in Java and to avoid being overcharged in any of the payments I did for the bus and train tickets, so as for finding cheap places where staying. Dyana also waited during 40 minutes with me until the right van arrived the day I left for Bromo. She was really helpful.

The hostel was well clean and the food really good. I had an excelent dinner for free; and breakfast so good as well. The wifi worked fine at the lobby and in the room. You can have free coffee, tea and drinking water.

I had a great stay and would come back there, no doubt. It is priceless when people are helpful and treat you reaaly well when you are far away from home.

Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
    Reviewed September 3, 2012

We really can't understand people who says this place is a home away from home... We don't have our home like a dump . Everything is dirty and a mess!! The bed sheets smell like they've never been washed before. The owner is absolutely useless, The only thing she does is surf the internet the whole day.
    The son is like a puppet, if the owner is not in the hostel and you ask the son (18 years old) his answer we'll always be "I will ask my mum".
    Everywhere says that you can eat whatever you want all day long. Please, if you love your health, don't try. We saw the same pan of fried rice reheated during 48 hours...
    It's really difficult to talk with this woman, you ask her one thing and she answers what she wants (complety out of the conversation...). A part from that, it's not cheap at all. We made a booking for two nights, but after 2 hours being there the owner ofered us to spend the night travelling to Bromo (so we didn't stay in the hostel from 12am to 12pm). We had assumed that we only had to pay for one night but she charged us for 2...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
    3  Thank rataplam
    Darifi, Owner at Da Rifi Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Hello Rataplam and partner,
    Greetings from Da Rifi Hostel Surabaya, Indonesia!
    Thank you for your review and let us explain your case:
    1. If you take a service, any service, whether you take all or just a part of the service, it means you have to pay that service. In anywhere, I think.
    In your case, you asked me if you can get free of charge because you didn't take overnight in our hostel that day in line with your plan to join a group to Bromo. But what did you do? Starting you came, you ordered one room which contains 4 beds, only for you both. And after you asked to get free of charge, you didn't leave the room, but you still stayed there from 4 pm until 12 pm. During that hours, you both drank a lots of our mineral water,until your partner refill again and again to put in refrigerator, just like in your own home; because if you are in a hotel, you must pay every single cup you drink while we provide for you for free. And you slept at that room, and got our hot shower facility, even you asked our towels, and you spent hours for our internet facility for free. Moreover, when you were going to Bromo mountain, you both didn't leave the room but all your things were still in the room. So the room could not be filled up by other customers.
    2. If you told about our place is dirty and dump, you should have not stayed longer, but you asked me, if I didn't mind you both asked to spend another night.
    3. If you think our bed sheet is dirty or bed smell, you can ask a new one and our bed sheet cabinet is 24 hours open, even you can change by yourself like other guests, just like your own home. So, it is not properly that you threw our pillow at the trash. We wash our pillow in washing machine periodically. but not every day, as we always use pillow sheet. If you think I have to throw away our pillow you think so bad, we could not give you the price of IDR 75,000 with free breakfast, free 24 hours drink of cold and hot included coffee and tea, free laundry, free bread and jams 24 hours, free cooking at our kitchen, free towel rent, free blanket rent, free bicycle rent, free hot shower, free ironing your cloths, and many others.
    4. I myself cooked for our guests from early morning, and I never serve 48 hours cooking as I know about hygiene, and professionalism, and it is not ethical to serve bad cooking for our customers because it is against business ethics.Many times I cook in front of our guests and it means I never serve 48 hours cooking. When I cooked for you both, you were in Bromo in the morning time, but it didn't mean the cooking I served for you was 48 hours cooking. Another day, I cooked very early in the morning as I do it after I pray every early morning as moslem. So, please don't judge if you didn't really see how I cooked, because it hurt me as I have not been so counted for every service I give.
    As I know, mostly backpackers are low-budget availability, so I try to cook by myself to save the budget. And sometimes I use our garden vegetables so it is priceless for me to serve.I concern for backpackers' place to stay as I respect to whom , especially young generation would visit Indonesia because you both will be leaders in the future. By providing affordable price to stay and service, I am happy to be able to be part of the understanding among countries agent in the future. My effort is not limited for only coming to Indonesia just to visit. If you would serve as volunteer to be English teacher to our community, I am ready to give you 100% free accommodation to stay and meals. And I have announced this in one popular website. Some our guests took this opportunity. Please, come again if you concern for our free facility offer.
    Best regards,
    Dyana

Reviewed July 18, 2012

The one thing according to me make one feel comfortable when traveling in a foreign country is the attitude of the staffs where you're staying. If the staffs come out as friendly, then your whole journey will be more easier and enjoyable too. And exactly the same I found at Da Rifi hostel. I always seek such friendly but not overacting service which helps in many aspects. The Free laundry facility, nice juice, drink service, quality foods were a plus. So, happy staying there. I'd be more happy if the blood sucking mosquitoes weren't there. My partner, Netanya got much annoyed with it.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed June 9, 2012

stay here while transfer back from Ijen and the flight second day early morning. it is at PondOK cHANDRA AREA, very near to airport. behind the Donat Dunkin, or Dewan Badminton Hall. It is behind the mosque, walk from main road, 3 minits.

Stay at doorm, it is clean, toilet too. breakfast are included, plus unlimited tea or coffee. Owner, Puan (don't know the name) are very friednly. 70,000Rp for a night is very reasonable. free laundrt servive too. she help to contact for airport taxi.

there are small stall, 2 minits walking diatance, selling 'SATAY' barbeque chicken with peanut sauce, in 10 for 7000Rp, good taste. walk further a bit to the stall opposite futsal hall, selling fried-rice or noodles, which using Chacoal, not a gas, is really excellent!!.one for 10,000Rp.

there are many shops in between walking distance.

the only thing is there are too many mosquito (luckily not at room).

1. from Airport, take Damri Bus (airport tranfer )in 15,000Rp, than tell the driver you want to drop at Pondok Chandra, (Juanda resorts at your right hand.)than from the junction, take local minibus H4 , tell driver drop at Donald Dunkins, than walk to hostel.
    2. from airport, taxi with meter in 50,000Rp. but from hotel to airport, it is 32,000 maximun, tol pay by passenger.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo