“gloomy room, bad restaurant”

Roemahkoe Heritage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 65 Solo B&B and Inns
New York City
“gloomy room, bad restaurant”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and the beautiful pictures of the hotel, we were looking forward to our two-night stay. When we arrived, the staff was friendly enough but spoke so little English we simply could not communicate. We went to our room and spent several long minutes trying to make the old-fashioned key work in the door. This was always a problem, whether we were trapped in the room or outside, trying to get in. Had there been a fire, I'm not sure we could have gotten out in time (this is not hyperbole -- I mean it seriously, and thought about it every time we were in the room).

After walking through the batik district behind the hotel, we decided to eat dinner at the restaurant and it was a terrible experience. We were the only people in the restaurant and yet we received terrible and slow service. The food was mediocre at best; we'd come from Yogyakarta and had enjoyed the food, so this was a real let-down. We made our way back to our room and spent several minutes trying to get in.

The room had very tall ceilings and a little sitting room (with delicious jelly candies in a glass bowl, loved them), but it was just so gloomy. There were very dark shutters over the window openings, and the only way we could let light into the room would have left us exposed to anyone walking around the hallways and inner courtyard. So we stayed in our dark room because it was so much bother trying to get out, went to sleep early, and checked out early the next day to return to Yogyakarta. One night was more than enough.

The morning we checked out, the owner or manager was at the desk and she spoke English very well. She went through some trouble on our behalf trying to arrange some other travel plans we wanted to change, and was gracious and friendly. She was the only good experience we had at this hotel. If we ever return to Solo, we will definitely not stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
Vancouver
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am glad to stay here again. Although I was on a whirlwind of a tour in Java collecting batik, I have to spend a few hours in solo for business. I had a full day in Pekalongan and rushed in to Solo and finally made it by 10:30pm. The staff was staying up for me and immediately put me in my room and wished me a good night sleep. He knew I was very tired on the road.
The next morning, I met Andrini, the manager and she helped me to contact my Indonesian friend to guide me around Solo. Andrini was resourceful and very friendly and suggested me to visit some private batik collections by appointment next year when I come to Solo again.
2 years ago I met the owner Krisnina Maharani Tandjung at the hotel. This time I happened to saw her on TV. She was showing Solo's heritage and batik in Laweyan. This is a wonderful hotel to stay in and to start to understand the art and culture of Indonesia.

Room Tip: The fountains are designed to drown out any noise coming from the main street. The rooms are very q...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent two nights in this little gem of a guesthouse, and enjoyed it very much. It was once the large mansion of a wealthy batik dealer, and the layout is typical of an 80 to 100 year-old merchant house. Our room was booked as part of an agent-arranged trip through Java, and we had a royal suite. I never saw inside a regular room so don't know how big it is, but ours was super with small living room, small (but adequate) bedroom, and a smallish bathroom with tub shower. The ambience and decor is lovely, and makes it a relaxed spot to chill out after hectic hours shopping or sight seeing in the vicinity. The local food in the restaurant is superb, and the menu is sensibly short. The staff are welcoming, very helpful, and speak excellent English.

Room Tip: Book a Royal Suite if you can get it at a reasonable rate
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

After a long train ride from Bandung, coming to Roemahkoe was soothing balm. This beautiful villa faithfully recreates its past in the art deco period. The furniture, gardens, water features, art and antiques give the impression that you are stepping back in time to a gracious and tasteful era. The most engaging aspect of these surrounds however are the stained glass doors and windows found throughout the whole place. Each stained glass panel has a rich timber setting. The art deco features are blended with an architecture which is pure Javanese.
The room and bathroom were well appointed and very clean. The (included) breakfast was delicious and served in a lovely open sided setting with the sound of running water features in the background. The walls are hung with photos and art works - all very interesting.
One of the major highlights of our Solo trip was meeting Andrini, the delightful manager of the Roemahkoe. She helped us plan our tour of Solo, as well as giving details and anecdotes about the history of the building and the town. Her English is perfect and she is great company - indeed an asset to this lovely hotel. A cheap taxi ride takes you to any part of town. The only tip for travellers is to bring some mosquito repellant - just the occasional one strayed into our room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Home Sweet Home is not enough words to describe this place. I feel like coming back to my grandma's house, sleeping in one of the room at my grandma's and dining at my grandma's. Staff are very attentive (I am talking about kindly offering to buy cough syrup for my friend who was sick); food were great (the nasi goreng tasted good even at 4.30 am as we got ready to leave for airport); the room is comfy, elegance and homy. It's indeed Roemahkoe (My House)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I am not going to write about the hotell but it is strange that even in this site, the search button didnt recognised the resto. So I got to write my review about the resto in the hotel column. The hotel is nice and beautiful, I agree. I was curious reading the info about the resto, it is said they also have heritqge menu from the Keraton chef such as nasi jemblung, selat solo, etc and it is one of tourist attractions. So I went there with my 9 other relatives for dinner and I was dissapointed. They are no other guest than us, only one waitres served us. First they run out of the ginger which the essentials ingrdients for traditionil drinks. Then believe it or not some of the food came about an hour later it was Misoa sup which was for us it is a simple easy to prepare. We didnt even get the water, the glass still upnside down! Seiriously.. It was an awfull dining experience. Don't bring your important guess to this restaurant if you didnt want to be embarassed and compare with other restaurant in Solo, it is nit cheap rstaurant either. Poor for your value of money...

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DewiRetnowati
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed May 7, 2013

As an architect with a faible for historic houses I could not be but delighted. This old mansion is pure Art Déco and in Europe it would be a hot choice for architects or art minded people. My room was absolutely beautiful with Art Déco windows, the authentic furniture, every detail in the bathroom. But it was in no way just museum like because everything was well maintained, immaculate clean and functional, AC and hot water. And the management made the choice: If in doubt in favour of the guest. So inspite of the fact that they did not have television in the 1920s there was a flatscreen TV. Beds were perfect, very comfortable. The whole plan of the place is exquisite, the restaurant open to a courtyard with water and plants and there too every piece of furniture, lamps, china and cutlery matching the style. Restaurant and courtyard surround the core of the house with reception and some rooms which exhibit things of the period so one can imagine how the dutch owners lived in this house a century ago. As it was a private house the scale of it is personal, everything is in the groundfloor and orientation is easy.

And I enjoyed not to be. in a museum when it comes to the food too - breakfast was rich and tasty with a lot of choice between Indonesian or European food. The menu for dinner was up to the surroundings, Indonesian food but refined with a little reference to European taste. Travelling alone and not being absorbed in a conversation over dinner I was not only able to pay attention to the food which it deserved but also enjoyed traditional live gamelan music and a female singer with beautiful Indonesian songs.

I realize that I am using superlatives - I am afraid. I cannot stop yet because the very good service was personalized in the manager of this remarkable place, who was pleased to share her knowledge about the place and about Solo. As she is a charming women I have to assure that this review really is objective! After 5 month in Indonesia I am convinced that this was the nicest hotel I stayed in. And the price was very reasonable, though travelling on a limited budget I could well afford it.

If you are in Solo do not miss to attend a dancing performance ( rehearsal as well) in the Royal (not the Prince's) Kraton. And spend a visit to the Academy of Performing Arts, where you can see the students dance, sing, act, play gamelan and violin. I was the only tourist, shown round by a teacher and it was very impressive.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gottfried Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solo
Alila Solo
#6 of 10 in Borobudur
Novotel Solo
Novotel Solo
#12 of 61 in Solo

Been to Roemahkoe Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!