“Knowledgeable guide, interesting exhibits”
Review of Pura Mangkunegaran

and up
Sukuh and Cetho Temple Tour from Yogyakarta
Ranked #4 of 43 things to do in Solo
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1757 by the nephew of the King Pakubuwono II after a bitter power struggle, this smaller palace is still lived in.
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The staff at the reception were friendly. Entrance fee costs about 18,000 Rupiahs. You will be assigned a guide in the language of your choice. Some tipping will be in order, and I asked what amount would be acceptable and was told it was up to me. I was very pleased with the guide I had as she was very proficient in English and knowledgeable. She also tried to practise her Mandarin with me. She would pause at appropriate junctures to allow me to take photographs.

The exhibits consist of a significant number of 18th and 19th century European-style pieces, which are rather rare in a typical Indonesian museum/palace. As the royal family still resides on the premises, their framed photos are displayed on the property. Do take some time to look at some of the photos as you would when visiting a friend's house. A great insight.

I tipped my guide 25,000 Rupiah and she seemed very appreciative of the same. When I remarked that I would next be going to Kasunanan Palace, my guide advised that the same was closed that day, thus saving me a wasted trip. When I decided to head for lunch and showed her a brochure highlighting Solo culinary delights, she offered me suggestions as to which restaurants/dishes were worth trying. I then tried to call for a taxi but realised that my phone was out of stored value. My guide offered to use her handphone to call for a taxi for me.

Excellent staff and well-maintained exhibits. A must-see when in Solo.

There are newer reviews for Pura Mangkunegaran

Reviewed July 6, 2012

magnificent....
can't imagine how beautiful are they.....love it

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is an interesting palace that is still the residence of the Royal Family in Solo. Note that there is an entry fee of IDR18,000 and then you are given a guide to take you round. We asked how much and were told it was up to us... We gave IDR20,000 as a guess and it seemed to be appreciated. This palace is worth a visit.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

You will have to include the guide but it helps understanding a lot. Interesting collection includes 8-9th century Buddhist and Hindu small sculptures which the guide may whizz past . Dont miss the 19th century custom designed carriages near the front entrance

1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The English speaking guide was very good and gave us a very good history details of the Kraton.