“Beautiful lobby and rooms but needs to be tweaked”

The Royal Surakarta Heritage Solo - MGallery Collection
Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Solo
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I quite often stay at Accor hotels because they are locally owned but managed by a group with very good levels of service and international standards, as well as reasonable pricing. As this hotel was only offiically opened in March 2014 the rates are very good value and I decided to try it out.

One of the strange things that should have tipped me off was that on the Accor website you cannot book the room to include breakfast. It is not an option currently on any of their room rates. I would normally eat the hotel breakfast but since it had to be bought at the breakfast room itself I didn't feel welcome..I went next door to the "kantin" and had a small local coffee and breakfast and that was fine. If you go out the front door walk to the left and there is a small sign on the sidewalk..just very local style but a good array of dishes and actually quite delicious.

The hotel building itself is nothing special, looking like an average office building from the outside and very close to the Kraton grounds. (near the roundabout statue) Once inside the small but highly decorated lobby is furnished with a mix of local Solo handicrafts and furnishings. The check in staff are very lovely and they wear the old fashioned white lace kebaya blouses and batik sarongs, a very nice touch. It's also one of the few hotels I've been in where young ladies are the doorpeople!

The room I had was huge, a large queen size bed with a large desk and sitting area, etc. The TV had a wide variety of satelite channels including sports so I was happy!

I went out for the afternoon and the hotel bell desk directed me to a Mahkota taxi, I asked to go my friend's place which was a couple of blocks away..When I started to pay the amount on the running meter, I was told that the minimum for taxis is rp 20,000 even if called from the street. Ok, it's not the money but he pointed to a sign that was on the ceiling and not near the meter and said I should have known. He was actually fairly beligerent and I did pay but was rather unhappy to have this sprung on me. A few months ago on my last visit the minimum was rp 15,000 and the taxi had told me this before I got in. I feel that this should be explained by the car call/bellmen and the taxi straight away.

I actually did mention this to the Bell Desk and they offered me a free ride to my evening destination in the hotel car. They apologised profusely and said it might have been one of the illegal taxis pretending to be a Mahkota taxi.. I think this is the kind of situation that might have left a bad taste in my mouth but the hotel staff handled it so well. after he personally drove me to dinner I tipped him almost 3 times the taxi minimum as a thank you.

Then the other slip up was that late at night I decided to make a cup of tea. Surprisingly, there was sugar and creamer and decaf coffee only. No tea. Again, I called down and it took several phone calls and more than 20 minutes to find someone to bring the tea. When it came it was a room service, tea, not tea bags...I told the room service boy, a trainee, that I wanted to refuse the tea but only if he would not have to pay for the mistake. They said no problem, and he later brought up some tea.

I'm sorry to write about such petty details but this is just to give people an idea of the rough edges in the service that exist currently. I was told that the hotel operates at very low staffing levels and I do believe that to be true. The ones who are working seem to be wonderful but for a hotel to be a true M Gallery class such as the Phoenix in Jogja it really needs to bring it's level up. I have heard it's the same owner but not sure if it's true or not.

If they eventually tweak out the kinks then I think it will be a very nice hotel and a top choice in Solo. However, it has not reached that level yet. I hesitate the give the low rating for service because the staff I met were really lovely, they just do not have enough people to answer the phone and service the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MangoMunky
Fran R, General Manager at The Royal Surakarta Heritage Solo - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear reviewer,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share with us your comments, let me allow to apologies if your experience did not meet your expectations.

I would like to take this opportunity to explain you that actually the Room Only Rate in our website allows you to add the breakfast on the second page of the booking, so basicly is a shopping basket taylor made to the needs of each guests. However following your recommendation now you can find a visible Bed and breakfast rate in the webisite at less it is an event in the city. Alternative please do not hesitate to contact the hotel reservation directly to arrange your booking in your next stay.

Our Housekeeping team has reviewed your comments to ensure there is not future issues with the tea in the room.

We are looking forward to see you in your next visit to Solo.

Kind gerards

Reviewed June 15, 2014

i bought a voucher from travel agent for Exec Room, i expected for better quality in term of design and services. The lobby area was beautiful with batik pattern. need to wait about 30 minute to get to the room even though it was already 2.30 Pm. Check in staff seems panic when handling a group check in so i have to wait till them finished the group check in process.. no Le club Desk!! i was shocked when entering the executive room. it large but feel empty..lost the touch of imaginary lobby design of batik, the most shocked is no sunlight!! atrium view. nothing special from the narrow atrium. a gloom. it a Cell not a hotel Room, i can accept the room if it is a budget room or something, i asked to move to other room with a view to the outside but they explained all the exec room facing to atrium. so, i decided to choose the lower type (deluxe) who has A view.
breakfast venue was another disappointing. smoking is allowed., so u can't breath easy..

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the The Royal Surakarta Heritage Mgallery. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations in terms of our executive rooms; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

A small number of rooms in the hotel has an atrium view, and unfortunaletily on the day of your stay we did not have any Executive room with outside view due to the high levels of guests stays with us on that night.

Regarding the smooking policy, we will take into consideration your comments to see what is the best option to accomodate all our guests needs on this matter.

Ounces again, thanks very much to share your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to wellcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Fran R, General Manager at The Royal Surakarta Heritage Solo - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am a member of accorhotels, and they had super deals few months ago and I decided to try this hotel at lowest price. I booked superior room on 31 May, celebrating my daughter birthday on June 1st there.

My first impression to the hotel, it was a great one, with a strong scent in the lobby. Then I got room nr 817 twin beds. The room scent was even stronger (green tea?) and it made my nose a bit pain in the beginning. And when I sat down in the bed, olala... the worst spring bed ever!!! I have been to few 5* hotels around Indonesia and I would tell you, this hotel has the worst spring bed ever. It was too hard, like they were old beds from the heritage ancient things just like the name. We woke up in the morning in quite back pain. Before, I asked the receptionist to check the beds, the technician came and said they had all the same beds. I just curious, if you get the lowest price then you will get the bad room as well? Then it is ridiculous!! So we disappointed with the beds big time.

The next bad experience, I had call the receptionist (started number 2,3, and the other I forgot) and no one picked up the phone! And also, when I asked the housekeeping for the regular tea, the guy said they run out of the regular tea, only the walini which I dont really like the fruit taste. And also the coffee, why are there only decaf, and it is not instant. I prefer to have instant coffee like the ones from nescafe.

Okay, so for me the good things are the ambiance of the hotel, the lobby, the room, they are great. They are really worth to see. From the bakery side, also they make nice pie. I bought some, I did not try the bread as my kids ate them all, but the pie were so delicious, I definitely will be back to the hotel for buying the bakery only (fruit pie is the best!) but not for staying. I would not spend big money just to sleep in a bad bed. Sorry.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mercy 73,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the The Royal Surakarta Heritage Mgallery. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We are reviewing all the points you have highlighted to us in order to rectify them.

At Accor, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

The Royal Surakarta Heritage Hotel

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed there for family holiday for 3 days, while my husband has business for one day. I had a good first impression on the lobby hotel. They decorate it very nice with some puppets and local decoration. Impressive. The room also spacious and clean. Only its towels which looks not too clean because its white colour was not really white. Taxi hotel were always ready with driver who knows good place for tourists. Becak (traditional transportation) were also ready with fair price. Breakfast menu were good too. Price? I got the best deal from agoda.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Mrs Nadia,

Thanks very much for taking the time on write a review on the Royal Surakarta Heritage, Solo.

It is always a pleasure to have feedback from our guests.

It is a great to hear you and the your family had a great stay and you enjoy the hotel decoration and services. We will share all your comments with all our team to keep improving.

Regarding the best deals and price, do not hesitate to visit the Accor hotels website to get the best guarantee price.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards
General Manager.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

wonderful service and atmosphere inside the hotel, excellent service at front desk, operator and room service.
The team was friendly and helpful.
the room was neat and tidy.
but need some view from inside the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank 340edyt

Dear Mr Edy T,

I am extremely glad to hear that you have a great stay at the Royal Surakarta Heritage Hotel, Solo.

All the Front office team is very please to hear your kind words, and I am sure it will be an encouragment for all of us to working on keep delivering great customer services.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Solo at the Royal Surakarta Heritage.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

If you looking for a gallery hotel this is a right choice , the lobby is very artistic and cozy, their staff is very friendly. room condition is verry clean, and the room interior is great, the have many ornament in our room , one of them is "wayang golek" :) , they have 5star standard for breakfast

Room Tip: request street view room