Cakra Homestay
  • Breakfast included
$37
$33
Novotel
favehotel Solo Baru(Solo)(Great Value!)
$14
Hotels.com
$25
$23
Priceline
Red Planet Solo(Solo)(Great Value!)
$18
$17
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Like other people I picked this from lonely planet at very short notice and wanted a cheaper place and not the orginal place I had booked which was 650,000 per night. After looking at a few rooms on the ground floor I went for one on the first floor just past the pool. The rooms are basic, bathroom is a water butt and a water scoop, the shower is poor, they are also a bit small and dark. There was no mirror for shaving - one of my pet hates, the only mirror was on the dressing table in the bedroom. They supplied cleanish sheets and towels. The first room I had was just a fan as all the A/C rooms were full. I changed the next day since the weather was a bit hot ( humid ) so I wanted A/C just to cool off better and I thought they would be better. The A/C rooms are exactly the same as the fan rooms, the doors and windows are no better sealed so mosquettos could come in ( the only place in Java where I had the the repellant plugged in)
There is a swimming pool and maybe this is the big draw.

The Breakfast was very very poor, 2 slices of toast ( Toast that was toasted on one side only - that not toast ), and a cup of coffee. WARNING if you sit at the large table in the dinning area don't lean on the glass table top as it will topple over. ( As found out by the German couple I had met ).
The location is also a bit poor and the road outside maybe not one that you could feel comfortable walking down at night, also did not come across many places to eat. One of the places I was told about was expensive as it was a trendy type place, eating while sitting on sofas etc,- but good food.
The man at the gate / reception / who gives you your breakfast, was helpful if a bit too laid back and he will arrange transport / tours for you through him only and you pay him, so maybe there is a bit of a mark up going on.

In Solo they sometimes they close a lot of the roads on Sundays for cycling and people to walk on, not sure if this is every Sunday but it causes no-end of traffic jams and if you don't know the area you go round and round in circles and the roads become one way and no through and left turn only, etc etc. We got lost a few times and it took an hour to get out of the town, ( and I was on the back of bike being driven by a local person ).
Summery:- I found it ok but I'm sure there is better, the curse of lonely planet I think.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are better
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank happyguy4413
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We're staying at Cakra with 3 kids and 4 adults, the kids love it, they even learn to play gamelan a little bit and watching the Gamelan practice performed by the senior artist in Solo, it was awesome ..., as long as you stay here to feel the traditional atmosphere it is ok, but if you searching for full of facilities and service, it is not the place .. hope it help :)

oh we're family with a semibackpackers ideas, so the place is just fine and beautiful!

Room Tip: just make sure the person who check out before you is a non smoker if you don't smoke..!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Eugenia G
dwi_indonesia, Manager at Cakra Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thanks for sending us a post mail. I appreciate it so much.
I will keep in touch with TRIPADVISOR.
Most of my guests are European traveler.
They like enjoy staying at 200 years old homestay.
But it has been restored well.

Dwi
General Manager of
CAKRA HOMESTAY

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I felt so bad to stay in this place, it felt run-down.
Yes, it is a 200 years old beautiful house.
But, the room is expensive compared to other Solo homestay, the room is basic bare-bone (mean nothing inside and definitely dusty.
I asked for a discount as traveling solo, but pay same as a twin sharing. My nose felt stuff-up after 1 hour in the room. The bath area were dry and no water in it, I think there was nobody for quite a long time. They didn't give me towel and blanket till I ask. Worse, the reception can't even get me a bus ticket, which I walked back to the other guest house to get the ticket.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank SepilokfFui
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I found this homestay ok, nice building and very nice swimming pool, and that can help you a lot especially if you are travelling alone, but i give at the homestay an extra star because of the presence of Wahyu, a helper-guide very informative and honest, which gave me a lot of information and we also did a tour in the 'thea' area and we went to visit some temple around Solo and the trip was absolutly worth and interesting. If you go to Cakra, ask for Wahyu.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank kokode
Reviewed January 7, 2012

mostly rooms are not very clean, dark (!) and has moist spot in wall. the bed is hard and should be changed. the homestay's nuance is scary with antique & old things such as museum, it brings a mystique nuance, i even covered the mirror because i felt of these feeling.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo