“nice hotel with good service”
Review of Novotel Semarang

Novotel Semarang
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Semarang
Tangerang
“nice hotel with good service”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

we very happy stay in novotel semarang, the hotel very near with shopping center paragon, the place you can easy to find anything. For the breakfast you can enjoy from tradisional untill western food. When you get to the hotel all the staff very friendly and always smile. Thank you Novotel we will back again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jakarta
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel is providing the services comparable with the price offered.
The staff is helpful and paying attention to every detail of service.

I'm staying here for one night only, for business purpose.

One thing that is a bit below the standard is the taste of the meals provided. I ordered tahu bakso,and its a bit strong salt taste. The fruits is also not so fresh.

Other than that, everything is good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is next to busy road, very good location. Novotel is not any more new building, but everything works well. Several restaurants serves good size meals for hungry travelers. Service is not good some times below average. We got feeling that hotel management had special training period for young, new staff - they came one by one to to us; one took orders, one served drinks, another served bread, etc., but the food was good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GManagerNOV, General Manager at Novotel Semarang, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Hannes 123,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Semarang. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

David Lane
Novotel Semarang
Semarang, Indonesia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This time, I would like to share my experience during my latest stay in Novotel Semarang this past weekend. At first, both of me and my wife didn't fully realize the fact that this period of time was a four-days-holiday, started this weekend, until we both checked into the hotel around 11:30 am. The front desk counters were occupied with two (2) guests when we arrived in the hotel but it did not take long for me to wait as one of the guests were leaving the counter less than a minute after I were standing in queue.

As usual, I was advising a female receptionist (for confidentiality, I decided not to disclose her name this time but it started with "H"), who was greeting me, that I would like to proceed with check-in. Right at this moment, I still didn't realize something unusual so that I prepared my Le Club card and my ID card. While I signed two papers she handed over to me, I started noticing, from her body language, that she probably was not in a "proper" mood in handling the hotel guests that time and I was totally right about it later.

Seconds later after signing up both papers, I was being informed that there were no rooms were available : Basically, I got her message that check-in was done. I supposed either wait or leave the hotel and I could return back to the hotel in the afternoon. So, I was asking her what time we supposed to come back to the hotel and she advised me (almost instantly) that the check-in procedure started at 2:00 pm.

Right at that moment, I could sense something unpleasant was about to happen so I kept quiet for few seconds. What run through my mind at that time was the fact that I was standing right in front of this female staff who just told me that my room was not available yet but unfortunately, I didn't see that she even made an effort to find one for me or even contacting housekeeping department to check whether there was a room available or almost ready.

However, after thinking about it the whole day, I would have understood the way of her thinking that she might have made a common mistake by making an automatic assumption right after she finished handling several check-in process ahead of mine. It was a pity if that happened but it was not a surprise for me to experience this kind of attitude problem in many hotels in Indonesia.

What made me sad was the fact that those hotel staffs did not have a proper understanding that they supposed to serve all hotel guests without any exception. If the receptionist staffs had to contact the hotel's housekeeping department every time they finished checking-in a hotel guest then by right, they would have to do it without having to wait a guest ask her to do this. They just can't skip this simple and basic procedure anytime they feel like doing it as it is his/her duty to take a good care of all the hotel's clients at anytime.

To continue, I decided to ask the same female staff what time I supposed to return back then she started giving me a cold look and slightly raised her voice telling me more or less the same information. Honestly, I really got fed up with her attitude so that I immediately demanded her to contact hotel's manager right away. I could tell right away that she realized that she handled the guest with improper attitude.

She asked me to wait before going inside the back office. Minutes later, she went out bringing (serving) a welcome drink which I flatly refused as I had lost my mood already that time after being mistreated. After that, within seconds she returned back to the front desk and started contacting housekeeping department. She informed the housekeeping using her handy talkie that she needed rooms after checking-in more than fifteen guests. But for me, it was too late as the damage she had done was so obvious : She should had done this procedure before but apparently, she made an easy assumption for herself that there was no room ready and informed the hotel guests to wait until 2:00 pm.

Minutes later, Mr. Didit Anthony (MOD/Manager On Duty) came out from the back office and greeted me politely. So, I decided not to waste his time and I started explaining the reason why I needed the room but I told him straight that I would have understood that there was no room available should the female receptionist staff made a visible effort in finding one. One thing I didn't advise Mr. Didit was the fact that I was a holder of Le Club's silver. I have been working out to achieve a gold member this year but the receptionist staff should had known this as I handed over my membership card to her when I did the check-in process. It is so obvious that she doesn't even care with loyal guests anymore !

Again, I was not even sure that she knew what she supposed to do when it was clear that she had an attitude problem in handling the guests. Yes, I probably would understand that she might be exhausted in handling continuous guests who came and arrived at the hotel and at the same time, she might had to handle many guests who were checking-out from the hotel. But, isn't that normal working condition ? After all, it was only before noon when I arrived and proceeded with check-in process. So, there was no logical excuse to explain her behavior this time.

It was fairly sad for me to experience this after I experience a much nicer stay in the same hotel property few months before. After I finished explaining everything to Mr. Didit, he waited no longer to excuse himself but I knew that at least, he tried in finding a room for us or at least to speed up the process in cleaning up the room. Both of me and my wife had to wait for another 15~20 minutes but we didn't mind at all. After all, sometimes I wish everyone would follow Mr. Didit's attitude in serving hotel clients : He is certainly a good listener and he acts fast to rectify all problems before they start growing to a bigger one.

Once our room was ready, my wife went up by herself as I had to attend a function outside. As usual, our room was clean and everything worked perfectly except three things : 1. Condition of bath towels that needed to be washed properly and I did believe some of them even had to be replaced especially for the ones which color turned brownish already 2. Clogged water in the bathtub 3. Water pressure (shower) area which needed to be taken care of.

I wish I could see a significant improvement made by the management in this hotel the next time I return back to the hotel property. It will be a pity to see bad reports about a particular hotel flying around everywhere especially for those "obvious" problems that can be resolved quickly before they start losing their loyal clients. I guess the following comment is true : Pay to small details first before starts working on a much larger ones.

Pay attention to what the clients need, try to please your clients as much as possible and stop thinking about what you want to do as it will drive your clients away to other hotels. Try to do this and make your clients stay while they are in the hotel. Once the problem goes unsolved, they will be gone and will never return back to your hotel. All the employees must realize that they get the business from the clients, not the other way around.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in a higher floor as it is cleaner compare to the ones in lower floors
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I usually stay in Novotel when i visit Semarang... The hotel interior is just nice. I usually stay at superior room.. Their spa is really good one. Never missed any chance to have spa when i visit Novotel.

Location: it's great spot. Near paragon mall.
Breakfast: sadly, their taste of food are not so good. But you will find indonesian traditional drink which usually called 'jamu'.

Music in their cafe is not so good at night...

Room: comfortable enough.

What i like:
- room: clean and comfortable
- spa: good service and nice different promo every month with reasonable prices.
- location.
- an agreement not to smoke in no smoking room, this is really nice.

What i dislike:
- their menus for breakfast and the taste
- pick up service to the airport. They were late to pick up me and i thought they forgot to pick me up until i made a complain call to front desk.

Room Tip: Superior room, suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family