“Oh my God! Please never go there!”

Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Semarang
Brussels, Belgium
“Oh my God! Please never go there!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on a round trip in Indonesia, after Bali and before going to Jakarta.
This hotel is only 2 years old but the rooms look like they've seen World War II: very loud at night, furniture all damaged, dust not taken for at least a few weeks, hairs in the bathtub, in one word: a dirty place!
And we had an Executive Club room, highest level apart from the Suites... I can only imagine the standard rooms... It's rated 5 stars. In Europe that would be a poor 3...
Spare yourself a real disaster and go somewhere else, cause to top it all, you add to all that of course a 99% occupancy by loud, uneducated Chinese and a totally incompetent F&B staff...
Congrats to the Indian GM!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jo V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Semarang, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Jo V,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Wonosobo, Indonesia
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I never know that i will receive a blood stain on my bedsheet as my Christmas Gift from this hotel.

We choose this hotel for Christmas Celebration as we think this is the best choice hotel in Semarang.

I was really surprised when pulled the bedcover and found out blood stain on the bed sheet, and on bed protector.

If the housekeeping washed the bedsheet and the protector, this thing should not happened.

I believe the housekeeping did not change the bedsheet from the last guest.

I never found blood stain on my bedsheet even on 2stars hotel, and now i found it in 5Stars hotel managed by Crowne Plaza Hotel.

I could not believe if the housekeeping did not notice the blood stain while making up the bed.

I do not want to ruin my day, so i just call the housekeeping and ask the housekeeping manager to come, but they sent supervisor to my room, who said sorry and asked the housekeeping to change the bedsheet.

We are staying in Deluxe room, which higher category than Superior room, hoping to get better services and yes, we got blood stain our bedsheet.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarineDylant
CrownePlazaSemarang, Crowne Plaza Semarang at Crowne Plaza Semarang, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear MarineDylant,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We have also noted your concerns on a few issues that you have faced during your stay. Please be rest assured that it will be our continued endeavor to improve our services and I look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Regards,
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My first working trip to Semarang and this was definitely a good choice. It is centrally located and just next to the most popular shopping mall in Semarang. Therefore, it is easy to do shopping in the evening, have dinner and maybe even watch a movie in the cinema. The reception is very welcoming and everything was quick. No hassle and fuss. WIFI password are given for each 24hrs usage and connection speed is good. The rooms are very clean and modern. Something which may take some getting used to is the open toilet concept. There is a bathtub, separate shower and washing bin which is directly next to the bed but after awhile, it actually makes the whole room feels more spacious. The hotel has its own gym with very good equipment, running mills and free weights (TechnoGym). And swimming pool looks pleasant though I didn't manage to use it myself. The breakfast spread was vast, comprising of western, Asian and local food. Definitely one of the best I've had. All in all, I would recommend this hotel for any groups of people to stay, due to its location, service and value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alan T
CrownePlazaSemarang, Crowne Plaza Semarang at Crowne Plaza Semarang, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Alantoh2,

Thank you for your positive reviews of our hotel. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we will strive to be the finest hotel in Semarang. Look forward to seeing you again at Crowne Plaza Semarang.

Best Regards,
Kozhikode, India
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Fine property. Great location. Attached to a large mall. Well designed, very spacious room. Open concept bathroom with separate shower cubicle and large tub, toilet with bidet, comfy bed. The best part is the efficient and courteous staff, eager to please, your phone always picked up at second ring,
The little problem I faced was with Wifi in my room, on ninth floor, going off intermittently, in spite of repeated attempts by the technicians. On 12th floor it was fine.
And...unbelievably great value for money

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hammy2312
CrownePlazaSemarang, Crowne Plaza Semarang at Crowne Plaza Semarang, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Hammy,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We have also noted your concerns on a few issues that you have faced during your stay. Please be rest assured that it will be our continued endeavor to improve our services and I look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Regards,
Jakarta
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Usually I stay at G hotel (CP strongest competitor) but this time that hotel is fully booked so I have to choose CP
Firstly I'm a bit skeptical since I've stayed at CP before and that experience was not so good

But my perception this time is changed a lot
This time my 2 nights stay from the beginning until the end is very good

Start from booking process with their reservation team, very prompt, helpful and friendly especially with Ms Angela
Check in process was smooth, no drama. When I entered the room I'm a bit disappointed since my 2 connecting rooms had no view at all.
I contact rcpt and try to change the rooms. But since 2 rooms is connecting, I understand that it's a bit difficult to get the replacement

Just a bit weird that one of my room is much smaller than the other one although I book 2 deluxe rooms. The smaller room also a bit smelly comes from bathroom. The size difference also quite significant

Breakfast was good. Much improved from last time. More variety and service also good
Check out also smooth and my family used private free airport drop

For me, my applause goes to reservation team and concierge team

All and all, nice experience and no regret choose this hotel.
Will I come back? Most likely...

Room Tip: Ask for bigger room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaSemarang, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Semarang, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Heru,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. You have covered all aspects of your stay and appreciate your comments on hotel area. We take great pride in delivering our best services to our Guests and living on our brand promise. We look forward to seeing you again at Crowne Plaza Semarang.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Having previously stayed at other local hotels that my local business associates put me up which was sadly not up to my standards thus I decided to do my own research on this site. I choose this hotel on the basis as being no.1 on Tripadvisor of Hotels in Semarang and I am happy to confirm that the Crowne Plaza has indeed earned its no.1 status for good reason.

It’s a 5 star hotel with first class facilities and very well trained staff. The customer service is excellent, always smiling staff and genuinely happy to please. Checkin was swift and painless, concierge were most helpful. Check out was quick too.

I stayed on the club floor to avail myself of the club lounge facilities. The club lounge is luxurious and has attentive staff. Full marks to Ninez for her excellent customer service, always with a nice smile and pleasant demeanour. Breakfast was served in the club lounge and all my dietary requests were catered for. The lounge has computers, wifi facility, photocopier, comfortable couches and cold drinks throughout the day. Beer is served after 5pm. It is a good setting for any business meeting or work you wish to catch up on.

The hotel location is excellent and the Paragon Mall is located below the hotel. The hotel lobby is located on the ground floor & is spacious with high ceilings giving it a royal feel. The hotel restaurants, gym, business centre, spa and outdoor swimming pool are all located on the 7th floor. The hotel rooms are on floor 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12. The club lounge is located on the 11th floor. The rest of the floors are the Paragon Mall. Internal access from the hotel to the mall is via escalators on floor 7 or via corridor access on the Ground floor.

The lifts can only be operated with a room card thus giving the guests a feeling of safety and security.

The only downside is the Wifi. The code I was given each time kept on working but only for a short amount of time and not the allotted hours that is quoted. Once I had to ask for 3 different codes during the very same hour as the previous code had stopped to work. I really hope the hotel takes note and can get this issue resolved. The wifi signal itself is strong and I never had an issue on this account.

One facility I have experienced at many 5 star hotels but sadly is not available at the Crowne Plaza is for club room guests to be able to checkin in either in their room or in the nearby Club lounge. This would be a very welcome initiative.

The Swimming pool is a good size but seems to be hardly used which probably explains why they have so few pool side sun loungers.

The gym is modern with all the very latest equipment - very impressive.

The bedrooms are modern, & luxurious. The bed was large and very comfortable and with a menu of available pillows. What more can one ask for.

I stayed here for 4 nights and it was a truly enjoyable experience. I look forward to coming back on my next trip to Semarang.

Room Tip: If on Club floor then choose a room nearest to the Club lounge.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rm1003
CrownePlazaSemarang, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Semarang, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear rm1003,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and appreciate your comments on hotel coverage area. We look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Semarang.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Last weekend was my first time to stay at this hotel, it was amazing. We booked via Agoda.com for 6 room, a week before. Only for USD50 for standard room without breakfast. Why I choose this hotel? First, I loves the location was connected to Paragon shopping center which the best in town. And, this hotel located in Jalan Pemuda where many hotel and Government building is. Including the famous historical building "Lawang Sewu" can be reached 10 minutes by walking. So many interesting place can you found by walking distance are old town, china town, simpang lima, tugu muda. Or, you can going there by trisaw.

For the hotel: is a great room, spacious and comfort bed. I've got 8 floor with garden roof view, recommended for the highest level which this hotel start from 7 floor. The bathroom including open bath up and standing shower. Looking little bit wild and nice design. One thing that really I loves is the coffee table, beautiful.

Facilities: pool and gym at 7 floor also the restaurant and lounge. Pool is great not to big but okay, and the gym was awesome. They have a great gym machine such treadmill, etc.

Will recommend this hotel and come back soon.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sugiphang,

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to learn that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. We take great pride in delivering our best services to our Guests and living on our brand promise. Once again thank you for your support and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.