“A smart choice, but nowadays too expensive by Semarang standards”

Ibis Semarang Simpang Lima
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Semarang
Asia
“A smart choice, but nowadays too expensive by Semarang standards”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

thanks for reading my review and in case you liked it, pls give me a positive mark. Usually I would add:" do also check the many pictures I took, as they often say more than words". Unfortunately, I lost my camera incl. 600 pics in the seat-pocket of a domestic flight in Indonesia just a few days before submitting this review :-(((
it is already the second time I stayed at this new Ibis. The first time was just weeks after its' opening and there were still quite a few flaws. That was back in 2008. now I stayed there again and it seems as if they got their things done now, well, most of it at least. Staff is friendly and now as well professionell, which was not entirely the case in 2008. The rooms are the usual “new IBIS style” standard, which I actually like. No smelly dusty carpet. Rooms are quite big by Ibis standards. The windows are pretty much soundproof, so even the yelling from the nearby giant Mosque didn't bother me much, as I almost didn't notice it. Apart from being NEW, the hotels biggest asset is its location. Located at Simpang Lima, less than a stonethrow away from Mall Ciputra, where there are dining and shopping options abound. Unlike 2 years ago, they now have free wired internet in the rooms, which of course is a big plus. Breakfast in the rather cramped “La Table-Resto” was decent, and as long as it is included in ur room rate, it is worth going for it. Otherwise it is overpriced, same as the room-service menu. But that's the case in all ACCOR-Hotels in Indo. Overpriced room service, laundry, Minibar etc. by Indo hotel-standards. There is a fridge in the room, but not stocked, so BYO. In the evening there are several small streetside food vendors just in front of he hotel, where u can get some decent fare for a fraction of what u would have to pay at the hotel. Though there is a buffet-dinner on offer at the hotel, and that seems to be good value for money, but I did not try it. The hotel is expensive for what u get and by Semarang standard. And considering the much higher Rupiah, plus the hotel's own rate increase, I paid around 35% more than back in 2008. The rate offered on the Accor website is higher than, for example, as what u would pay for the nearby HORISON hotel booked via KAHA HOTEL RESERVATION, which is 3,5 stars and has a nice pool, a famous breakfast and free airport-shuttle. I was just to lazy to move the second day of my stay. The first night I got a much better rate from KAHA too, so it I is rubbish when ACCOR wants to make u believe that the rates on their websites are the lowest. They are NOT. My rate through agent was 15% less. the Taxi-company the IBIS uses has NOT a good name in Semarang, I wonder why they do not use the excellent BLUEBIRD as all other Ibis in Java do. Maybe this “Globus” Taxi is bribing the hotel management, who knows. I had a hard time getting a Bluebird after checking out the second morning, even the hotel is located on a main thoroughfare. And the staff was not exactly helpful supporting me in finding a Bluebird. So I ended up with the lousy GLOBUS TAKSI, and as expected, the first thing the driver asked me if he actually should use the meter or not..... shame on you, IBIS management, for cooperating with such crooks ! Would I stay there again ? Well, maybe, as long I can get a good rate from an agent that includes BF. The free internet is tempting too. But most probably I will stay at the Horison again next time, if the rate of both places is similar. Even the Horison is not new, it is definitely a step up in quality and facilities and better value for money. But then again, choosing the Ibis, you wouldn't make a mistake either......

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank EurasiaVoyager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

Nice hotel with good service and free internet. Room is nice and clean but bathroom is small. We were also happy with the breakfast spread.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2010

Ibis Semarang is located in the hub of the shopping district with several major shopping centres within walking distance. It has great views over Semarang from all of the room windows. The service was great and efficient and the breakfast in the morning was superb. I really enjoyed this hotel :)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed on 2 occasion in Dec09 in this hotel. The first time we went there, my family and I booked a total of 4 rooms. As we had a morning flight from Jakarta, we arrived there around 11am. Fair enough that they could only give us 1 room to put our stuffs as the check-out time is 12pm.

However, when we came back at 3pm (the check-in time is 2pm), they told us only 1 other room is available. They told us to wait and so we did. To our horror, when another family walked in to check in, they managed to give them a room. Is that a fair treatment? When we asked the receptionist why the room was given to the other family instead of us, they kept quiet (not sure if that's what they called servicing their customer?). After a wait of 30 mins and lots of arguments, they were only able to give us 1 more room. When we called for the bell boy to come and help us with the luggages, we had to wait for 45 mins till we gave up and moved our own luggages. We had to wait for another 1 hour to get the last room.

On another occassion, the same thing happened. This time we booked 5 rooms. And guess how many rooms they can give us when we checked in at 5pm? only 3 rooms. And it's only after much calling to the receptionist, and waiting for almost another 1 hour, that we got our rooms.

Seriously, this hotel need lots of improvement in

1) communication within the staff (receptionist vs. housekeeping and receptionist vs concierge)
2) re-training or firing the current receptionist

For now, I don't think I'll come back in the near future

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family