“it's okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Toko Oen
Ranked #3 of 15 Dessert in Malang
Cuisines: Dutch, Cafe, European, Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
dublin
“it's okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We heard people talked about this place. And because we come from Holland, was around the place, so .. we gave a try.

Just like others said, the food is ok. Nothing special.
But the real question is: was the taste of the food always like that from the beginning?
May be it's 'ok' for us now, but 'wow' for them long time ago. :)

Visited March 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Surabaya
“Ice Cream is Delicious, Just That's All..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

When i heard my friend said about this place, i was interested to stop by and see what kind of place is it, since everybody who I know always say that this place is good and so do the food & ice cream. When I first stepped into this place, what i thinked is this place is very old-fashioned and need to be repaired. no air con. You can't get the oldish atmosphere totally. Yes the ice cream is very delicious, but not with the omellette & bread. For me, the price is ridiculous, too expensive with a small portion. I would never want to go back again to this place.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Old style ice cream and memories, high price though..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Toko Oen, most of the time always on our itinerary when we are visiting Malang. To be honest, food taste just so so and the price is quite high for its value. But, I like the homemade ice cream from the old days.

Building is originally old in dutch style. I'm glad that the owner keep it as it is, but perhaps it need to be re touched without eliminating the original design. The interior, painting and furniture will bring you the the old house environment which I like.

Visitors are local and foreigner. It might not a first priority place to visit, but if you don't come to Malang often, you might want to spend some time here in one of your meal period.

• Visited March 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ok for memories”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

yes the food is not over the moon but if you crave a broodje kroket, this is the place to go....didnt try many other things but looking around I think ppl had the same experience,memories dont live up to expectation hehehe, great place to have a look but not more than 1 visit

• Visited July 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Good soes & pannenkoek”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

This place is a must for me because my mother used to take me here everytime we come to Malang, My favorite is sus or soes and panekuk or pannenkoek. If you are visitng Indonesia, you need to try their bandrek drink. I wish they renovate the building biut retain the history and orginal character.

Visited September 2011