“Have to go for a massage and try mushrooms' salad”

MesaStila Resort and Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Magelang
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Everything is fabulous, starting with the people working there, accommodation, surroundings, food....it's a place to relax and chill down enjoying plantation life. And if you decide to go there, don't miss the massage, ladies there really know how to do it.
And if you decide to eat there,the mushrooms' salad ( from home grown mushrooms ) is a must - they also provided us with the recipe.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Irena K
Muhammad008, General Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Irena,

Many thanks for your lovely comment on TripAdvisor. We are happy to know that you were enjoying your stay at MesaStila. Yes our mashroom salad is one of our signature dish.

Hope we can welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

What an introduction to Central Java. Travelling for 2 hours through Jogjakarta, towns and small villages we finally arrived at MesaStila AND IT WAS WORTH IT!!!! Don't be put off by the journey. It makes you appreciate the location, set within a central plain surrounded by mountains (extinct volcanoes) and rice fields. The views are stunning and changing constantly as the clouds gather and dissipate/dance around the mountain tops.

MesaStila is a coffee plantation with rooms/villas old Javanese homes relocated on site. Our villa had its own entrance gate, descending to a water feature/fountain before entering the self contained villa, large combined living room and bedroom with king size four poster bed. Large double doors opened out onto a large balcony with views over the coffee plantation, all very private. The bathroom had a sunken bath, with again doors opening out onto the balcony. The villa was furnished in old Javanese style.

The reception hall is an old railway station. The "Club House" the original home build in the early 1900's. The restaurant is traditional Javanese that again looks out on top the coffee plantation and the mountains in the distance. The leads down to the swimming pool and spa, that is based on a Turkish Bath House. I hope you're getting the picture!

We selected the "wellness package" over four days inclusive of all food (except beverages), daily afternoon teas, daily massages, daily hanamam, a personal training session, daily Jamu with breakfast, tour of the coffee plantation, a power walk through the local village and rice fields - what more could you ask for. In between times we rested by the pool, read in our villa, free WiFi, walked, talked, slept. We really enjoyed tasting the Javanese food on the menu - new tastes and experiences.

The hotel also organised a sunrise trip to Borodudur. We rose at 3:45 am to be greeted with local coffee. The driver/transport greeted us from the dark and we arrived at Borodudur at 05:00 to meet our guide. By 05:30 we were sitting atop Borobudur awaiting the sunrise at 06:00. The whole experience was stunning - dreamlike. The Buddha stupas emerging from the dark, Buddhist followers meditating, groups of young tourists most in awe of the monument and the surrounding misty valleys and mountains. Once in full light, our guide walked us slowly around and down each terrace - 9 in total, then then explained the 120 panels of sculptured reliefs - the story of Buddha and his journey to enlightenment.

By 07:30 we had completed the tour, with tea/coffee and small treats to replenish our energy. By this time many tour buses were arriving including school groups. Also the temperature was starting to rise, which could only be draining with the heat generated by the black lava stone/basalt of Borobudur.

Once replenished, we returned to MesaStila arriving for breakfast at 09:00. After a swim and an late morning sleep, we were ready for more relaxing, food/lunch and activities provided by the hotel.

MesaStila is one of a kind - yes the closest to the Garden of Eden that I will ever get!!!

The wellness package was of excellent value and price. I hope we'll return.

Room Tip: All villas are private
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Greg R
Muhammad008, General Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Many thanks for your lovely comments on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed our tranquil and wellness experience.

We hope to welcome you again in the future here at MesaStila

Regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2014

If you like greenery for scenery escape you need to make a visit of this place. To me,it has its magic anytime you come in the morning,noon, or evening. Discover it!
It is a classy choice and yet pricey place for locals. However if you appreciate food and drink with great view you will never regret it. We ordered tom yum soup. It tasted rich but not heavy.The rice was so organic and soft. And It made my special "latte rempah" lingered in my mouth.
And we brought a packet of coffee just to embrace the aroma of MesaStila back home.

Till next time!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank siska_yo
Muhammad008, General Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Many thanks for your valuable comments on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our food. We look forward to see you again in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I would like to share my experience in visiting this property last month. It all started when I had to take one of our clients traveling around Central Java where we decided to visit Yogyakarta in our first leg and finished in Solo before returning back to Semarang. As my client was a young female so I asked my wife to accompany me in this trip.

As we had no idea what our client preferred, I decided to make a brief stop at this property in the middle of our journey to Borobudur temple. At first, we thought we would spend half an hour or so but it turned out we spent almost 90 mins. in this property. It was not too difficult for me to find this hotel as I had been passing it many times when I traveled to or from Yogyakarta but for first timers, I would expect some of them would have difficulty in finding the hotel in their first trip.

From the main road, we drove off to a local road for approx. 600 meters before arriving in the property. We parked our car in the designated parking spot and walked towards the lobby. I fell in love with this property the minute I stepped inside (passing the property's gate). It was really quiet and serene : I didn't hear any noise from the main road, didn't see any other car except ours. There was only 1 or 2 motorcycles passed by that time.

Three of us walked towards the lobby by passing the main gate : It was like we were traveling backwards using a time machine to a different world. I was amazed with the ancient style the owner had created in this property. Once we reached the lobby, a female receptionist greeted us and we explained the purpose of our visit.

She immediately guided us to the dining area that overlooked the mountain from where we sat : The view was unbelievable. Words alone really can't describe God's creation in this property : You have to be there to experience yourself. Since we had no plan to stay, we started looking at the menu and we finally ordered two cups of their famous coffee (Kopi Tubruk; if I was not mistaken) and a glass of dragon fruit's juice for my wife.

After sitting there for half an hour, we walked back towards the lobby and a gentleman met us in front of the lobby. The building structure of the lobby was being created from a very old train station which was found in another town quite a distant from the hotel's location. Apparently, the first owner of this hotel dismantled such train station and eventually rebuilt the whole thing in her property. Since the hotel used many antiques (lots of them) during its construction, the owner was able to complete the hotel project within six (6) years.

The same gentleman, who was escorting three of us to see all different types of bungalow in the complex, also shared some good stories on how the first owner built this property. I was totally amazed to listen to his story as he apparently knew the first owner (European couple) well enough even before she started building this property.

After inspecting different bungalows and countless rooms, I did believe the current owner could have made this property a lot better only by doing small things. For instance, when I stepped in several (different) rooms, I could smell quite a "strong" odor in there : I guessed the odor might come from those antique articles and/or materials they used in all building structures. The odor might resulted from rooms which might not be open for quite sometime. Maybe this condition won't bother for some people but for me, particularly, I would truly expect this issue would not be found in this extraordinary hotel.

I was thinking that if the first owner was still alive today, she might had done something to get rid of the odor as she had built this property with her heart. Again, this is a small issue and it should be easy to tackle it but for me, the odor will definitely stop me from even thinking to stay here overnight. FYI, my wife had been telling me over the years about her first experience in staying at this hotel with one of her friends few years back when it was still Losari Spa Retreat before changing its ownership.

Both of me and my wife actually plan to stay in this property before fasting season which would start by end of this month. We almost purchased a hotel voucher from a local travel agent last month. We did cancel it last minute after our travel agent could not get a confirmation from the hotel when she called them in Sunday evening. I was glad to postpone my stay : Should we decided to purchase the hotel voucher, I would end up with big disappointment.

Based on my feedback, I do sincerely hope the current management will start looking into this small issue and rectify it. It was really a pity for me to see such a beautiful property could only draw few guests during my visit. I believe they will be able to draw more potential (and upscale) clients should they pay more attention and resolve such small issues.

After walking and looking around the property, I could really imagine and feel the passion of the lady's owner when she was creating such a gorgeous property in the middle of nowhere. For me to see, this hotel is truly a heritage hotel not just simply any other hotel someone can find in the region.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Bambang S
MesaStila R, Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,

Many thanks for presenting your concerns; we are on a mission to continuously improve our products and services.
We are delighted to invite you to stay in here again to experience our continuous improvement.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused

Management

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I wanted to let people know about this place - we just did a coffee plantation tour and had lunch there - and what a lunch! It was lovely - the best lunch we had that holiday - and a highlight of that part of the trip. The food was so good and the setting on the elevated decking, overlooking the plantation was romantic and peaceful.
If you're passing through the area, possibly going to or from Yogyakarta, it's definitely worth doing.

1  Thank Ann M
Muhammad008, General Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Ann,

Many thanks for your lovely reviewed on TripAdvisor. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our food. Please do come back again if you are around.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Terrific resort with a great combination of natural beauty and old world charm. All the staff were very friendly and they treated us like we were the only guests in the hotel.

The coffee plantation was extremely tranquil. A great way to experience the wonders of Central Java.

2  Thank Ned C
Muhammad008, General Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Many thanks for your lovely review on TripAdvisor, we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experience at MesaStila, We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future...

Reviewed May 20, 2014

amazing location for people who like the forest. Very quiet and relaxing. Nice swimmingpool.
Good service and a lot of care for garden and cleaning.
Tea/coffee and snack in the afternoon are very good.
Restaurant is expensive especially for indonesian food.

Room Tip: villa 204 is a little more private, a good choice
1  Thank Roberto_Predonzan
Muhammad008, General Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you for your kind support, we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experience in MesaStila, We look forward to having the pleasure welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Magelang
Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
Hotel Puri Asri
Hotel Puri Asri
#13 of 23 in Magelang
Plataran Heritage Borobudur Hotel

Been to MesaStila Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!