“Wellness Oasis of Indonesian culture and Hospitality”

MesaStila Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Magelang
Melbourne
“Wellness Oasis of Indonesian culture and Hospitality”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at MesaStila for a week and I must say what a great decision! I feel renewed and refreshed; my feelings about the people and culture here is hard to write in words. The kindness and pure-hearted sweetness of the staff here was something I've never experienced before; although I've glimpsed it in other Asian countries. Here, there was a purity and simplicity which is hard to find these days.

The hotel location is enchanting...built on a coffee plantation, far removed from the cities. This is a unique opportunity to stay on a fully-operational coffee plantation with nearby mountain peaks and volcanoes and temples. So many amazing outdoor things to do. Also, the nearby Magelang has a fascinating cultural heritage and history, with the Dutch occupation. You can even visit the Magelang art museum and see many treasures. Though, to be honest, you never need to leave the grounds of MesaStila. With so many wellness and cultural activities offered free for guests.

All rooms are private Colonial-style traditional villas which have been moved from the Java surrounds. Many antiques and superb finishes, will fascinate and make it feel like you're a Javanese prince (or princess). What a feeling!

The heritage and wellness cuisine is wonderful. Most of the food is cultivated from the garden or comes fresh from the local village. The mushroom garden is amazing. They even have horses and a goat. Cheese comes fresh from the local village (surprisingly high quality).

Every breakfast, you get "Jamu" - traditional indonesian herbal medicine. Very effective and authentic! Freshly brewed tumeric, ginger, cardamon, etc.

Traditional cultural activities are offered daily like batik and janur-making, dance and traditional music....all from the local villages. You even get the traditional martial arts offered to guests!

Other activities include daily Yoga and Qi Gong (they have a Visiting Master Healer named David), power-walking, jungle gym training, biking, aqua fit in the swimming pool, core fitness. Master Trainer Yudi and Augus are great!

Then the spa and "hammam" - an essential place to relax. This is the only hammam in Asia I'm told, and a truly extraordinary experience. The spa therapists are world class, and the spa has received many international awards.

The organised trips include Borobudur and Pranbanan temples (pay extra) - also volcano trekking, mountain climbing, cycle tours and a multitude of options.

I will always remember my time at MesaStila. A wonderful retreat, and a royal treat to stay here! Thank you to all for the great service and hospitality!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marknorth_1
MesaStila W, Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your kind support, we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experience in MesaStila, We look forward to having the pleasure welcoming you back again soon.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

the place is incredibly beautiful, central Java beats Bali by a mile. Our weather was perfect and we could see all the volcanoes ringing around us. However, even in the mist, it has a beautiful Jurassic Park like feel. The trip to Gedung Songo was especially nice--you can take horses (carefully led by guides!) to all (now) 6 sites.

Room Tip: lighting in the room is not bright so could be difficult to read at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve W
MesaStila W, Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2014

London
Reviewed December 28, 2013

MesaStila is special. The villas, many of them reclaimed traditional houses brought to MesaStila from around Indonesia, are charming and are at one with the lush vegetation and stunning views of surrounding mountains and volcanoes. It is tranquil and offers privacy and peace to guests. A great place to relax and soak up this fascinating part of central Java. The service is great; the staff who looked after us were attentive, helpful and genuinely friendly. The guided tour of the coffee plantation and afternoon tea (both free) were lovely touches and well received.

So, huge thanks to the lovely staff who looked after us so well.

Against this background, I'd have two words of caution to those (wisely) thinking of visiting.

Reservations / Room Selection. My wife and I visited MesaStila with my two (elderly) parents, who were visiting Indonesia for their first time. My wife had booked a villa with two rooms and was explicit that we needed enough space for the four of us - two adult couples - and our baby girl. When we arrived I was shown to our villa.....which had one large bedroom with two double beds and a cot and a very small room with a single bed. I pointed out that this was not what we had booked. Why the hotel thought three or four adults would be happy sleeping in the same room is beyond me. I was shown a second villa which was only moderately better; two double rooms but no communal space and one room accessed through the other so no privacy or peace.

When I had made my views about this clear the hotel took me to a third villa which was much better and in line with that we had expected. If I had not persisted and been given this, I know we would not have been happy. Pak Yayok did a great job in finding us an appropriate villa for which I am grateful. Tarih makasi banyak Pak!

My second comment is that some of the pricing for incidentals is way off the mark. The costs of some guided tours were prohibitive as were the costs of alcoholic drinks. We were lucky to have our own car but if we had been visiting and reliant on the hotel for organising transport for tours we would have been less than happy.

(If it was not for these two elements I'd be saying it is very good, not just average).

In the end we had a great time at MesaStila and loved the ambiance and service. I will go back but I'll be careful about making sure I get the right villa and taking my own car.

Room Tip: Read the above......
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OliverGM
Dear Sir / Madam,

Many thanks for presenting your concerns; we are on a mission to continuously improve our products and services.
We are delighted to invite you to stay in here again to experience our continuous improvement.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused

Management
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Mesa Stila Resort that formerly name Losari Hotel Spa & Retreat is the best choice hotel and resort for you who want tranquility , free from pollution , privacy , fresh air in coffee plantations greatly . Mesa Stilla located between coffee plantations and many wild birds chirping beautify the atmosphere during your day -to-day in Mesa Resort Stila that make fondest memories enjoying the outdoors , especially in Central Java . With a land contour slopes of Mount Merapi to make clear scenery looks gorgeous and worth all to make you linger to enjoy it .

Room Tip: any rooms good rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 27, 2013

alas less than 24 hours in this beautiful place, but got there in time for a great sunset. had a super massage from Sri and nice dinner. views of nearby volcanoes stunning and service excellent. each cottage is unique and thoughtfully furnished lunch. next day's lunch a little slow and not very special. everything else was delightful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dsk188644
MesaStila W, Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2013

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I was staying at Mesa Stila for a couple of weeks and I have to say it has been one of the best experiences I ever had.

The hotel location is stunning! surrounded by vulcanos and nature makes it the perfect place for a retreat and forget about any stress.

In Mesa Stila you will have the opportunity to experience the local culture, tradition and heritage on an environment that haven't been spoiled by tourism.

Perfect also for traveling alone, which it was my case: staff there is also one of the highlights, always ready to help and of course with that Indonesian smile always ready for you!

I would highly recommend it for a healthy retreat, but they are still flexible if you go with someone that wants to have also regular service.

All rooms are private villas, traditional Javanese structures, brought from different parts of the island: perfect balance between tradition and luxury where you will find all the comfort and tranquility. They have private terraces where to enjoy the stunning views.

The cuisine is just excellent! they have heritage cuisine, with very traditional Indonesian and Javanese dishes, but also healthy cuisine, still very rich and tasty, and the best! the most of their products come from their own garden: they cultivate there fresh vegetables, delicious mushrooms (one of my favorites and the best I've ever tried), herbs, fruits and they have 11hc of their own coffe plantation! beautiful to visit also!
They also import some of the products (like beef) to ensure the quality is the best and dished are just beautifully presented and taste even better.

At breakfast, which is a la carte, you can experience also the "Jamu tasting" Every morning they offer Jamu, which is different drinks made out of herbs and they are recommended with healing purposes. Is so authentic, so traditional and part of the culture, that is an experience it self, and they also show you how they make it every morning. They also have other very traditional activities everyday such a batik making, traditional dance and music or janur making, the traditional decoration for special celebrations make with palm leaves. Everything made by local people!

Sometimes being on a retreat on a pretty much isolated hotel could sound boring, but at Mesa Stila they have so many activities to keep you busy, that you wouldn't want to leave!

They have yoga every morning but also during the day you have so many options everyday such power walk,biking, trekking, aqua fit, even a unique jungle gym! always supervised by very professional personal trainers. The surroundings of the hotel are just amazing! and makes it perfect to exercise and also enjoy the views: rice fields, vulcanos, thermal baths and little villages where people is so nice and welcoming!

After all those activities, the perfect place to relax is waiting for you there! The SPA and the Hammam, with so many different treatments and professional therapist that will personalize a program for you, is the perfect ending to feel healthy and indulged!

But if this was not enough, there is also some places close by that they are just unbelievable! and at he hotel they would organize everything for you. I could experience the sunrise in Borobudur temple, and thats something I will never forget! also Prambanan temple is a must while staying there.

I could be writing for hours, but I think the best is having the experience your self! So if you have the chance being in Indonesia or you are looking for a perfect healthy and fun retreat, just go to Mesa Stila.

Dont want to finish without saying THANK YOU everyone at Mesa Stila for making this experience so special, unique and unforgettable! Im keeping so many memories and so many people that I will always remember and I hope I have the opportunity to come back some day!

TERIMA KASHI!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are private villas and although they have different view, they all are really nice!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 4, 2013

From the time you are greeted at reception (which is a restored teak train station waiting and ticket office) the feel of Mesastila is unique. The gardens are well manicured and the original elements of the property retained and maintained inlcuding the orginal plantation house. Rooms are well appointed and the temperature is very even. The menu is excellent and the wine list is varied. There is a choice of activities at Mesatisla and plenty of ground to walk around for children and adults. Staff are knowledgeable ad not intrusive and as you come to expect in Indonesia - genuine and friendly. Well worth staying for a few days - we plan a repeat visit.

Room Tip: if you have small children ask for a villa on one level so you don;t have to dela with stairs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MesaStila W, Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2013

The Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magelang
Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
#12 of 22 in Magelang
Hotel Manohara Borobudur
Hotel Manohara Borobudur
#6 of 10 in Borobudur

Been to MesaStila Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!