“Over 180 years of history with an amazing, unforgettable wellness experience!”

MesaStila Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Magelang
Singapore, Singapore
“Over 180 years of history with an amazing, unforgettable wellness experience!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for four nights from 11th to 14th April 2013 at the MesaStila, recommended by Amala Destinations. This travel agency did a marvelous job of recommending a particular Ambar villa and booking the room for us pricing in full breakfast and transfers.
We flew into Jogjakarta from Singapore and were met by the resort driver and limousine. The journey to the resort in Magelang took about two hours by car.

The striking feature about this fine resort, besides it’s fascinating history, is the vast spaciousness of well manicured grounds, the peaceful atmosphere, the Javanese buildings and historical artifacts brought in by it’s previous Italian owner. Sitting on an elevation close to 700 meters above sea level, the MesaStila (formerly known as Losari Spa Retreat and Coffee Plantation ) began in 1828 as a coffee plantation by Gustav Van der Swan. It was later sold in1946 to Cokro Aminoto, an Indonesian. In 1991,he sold the place to an Italian lady, Gabriella Teggia, who developed and expanded the property between 1998 to 2003 from 10 to 22 hectares ( 55 acres ) with 22 villas. All of the buildings are original to the plantation or are traditional buildings that have been moved in from elsewhere in Java.The reception building for instance, was a railway station lobby. In 2008, the property was again sold to the Indonesians. The villas vary between 80 to 135 square meters, and have been reconstructed from either an original Javanese Limasan, Joglo or Kudus wooden house. They are individually decorated with original antique art collections. Thanks to Amala Destinations, we had a villa with one of the best views!

From check-in to check-out, the service was most attentive, polite, pleasant and seamless. Even the gardeners greet you with warm smiles and salutations! One offered me coffee when I passed him by in the coffee plantation section. It’s certainly hard to fault the service and genuine hospitality!

Food served at the Java Red restaurant focuses on healthy Javanese diets. Each item on the menu indicates the type of diet for the health conscious: be it with antioxidant properties, low fat, detox friendly, low glycemic index, vegetarian, or promotes protein replacement. The vegetables are home grown organically.
At breakfast, complimentary Jamu drinks are served and a Jamu-Master is available for private consultations, offering personalized healing remedies. Bacon,ham and sausages: are NOT in the menu! Such a pleasant change! The Sunset Lounge serves a selection of juices, herbal teas, thirst-quenching coconut water and the home-grown Java coffee is served throughout the day. The resort bar which opens at 3 pm. till late has a selection of over 600 bottles of premium wines. Room service is available for late or early travelers from 7am to 10pm. I met the Chef who informed me that the kitchen staff will prepare something if you need to eat after hours,.
Rooms are cleaned twice a day. Every villa has aromatherapy burners. Healthy snacks, fruit drinks and low calorie cookies are available besides the five star amenities.

General Manager Mr.Isa explained that the Resort offers six elements to guests rarely found in other resorts! Guests are offered the physical experience ( jungle gym, yoga, spa ); nutritional ( healthy organic food ); stress management; an awakening of emotional and spiritual awareness; the cultural and adventure aspects (touring, cycling, horse riding, trekking; and informational and the educational aspects ( batik making, lessons in Gamelan and Javanese dancing ). I totally agree! From the commencement of your visit, the stillness of the lush vegetation, the incredible views, the sweet smell of flowers, the monotonous chorus of cicadas, to chirping birds, one becomes immersed into these healthy gardens, the Javanese wellness therapies, the food and services of skilled local healers. The Hamman spa is also very unique and must be experienced! I had 15 minutes in the Caldarium infused with essential oils of eucalyptus followed by 50 minutes of a Javanese massage which was excellent! The magic of wellness and experiential services available from all in the MesaStila Team exceeds expectations with what in Javanese is tulus - meaning sincere, clean and pure!

Tips:
All the villas are non-smoking.
WiFi is complimentary.
Transfers to Yogyakarta or Semarang airports cost about US $50/- each way.
Air Asia flies directly from Singapore to Yogyakarta. Silk Air flies to Yogyakarta via Jakarta.
Resort rates include breakfast.
Avoid coming over weekends. Locals drive up for the weekends and the Spa services can be tight. Across the road from the main Resort gate is a large car park.
The property is not wheel chair friendly.
Amala Destinations web site: www.amaladestinations.com
MesaStila web site: http://www.mesahotelsandresorts.com/mesastila/

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank John-KT-Lim
MesaStila W, Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Mr. Dr. Lim

Thank you very much for your fantastic comments; we are very delighted that you have enjoyed any single moment at MesaStila. Beside it is permitted in the designed public-areas of the resort, smoking is also allowed on the balcony/veranda of all guest villas and Plantation Bar (Lounge). Once again, thank you for sharing your entire of great experiences during the stay at MesaStila. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to MesaStila.

Kind Regards,
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I spent three nights / four days at the Mesa Stila resort with my son an it was a great experience. The location is stunning, the style of the landscaping and the buildings is aesthetically pleasing and yields piece of mind, the service was excellent, the food was great - both the healthy-slant selection and the quality. I now live in Jakarta and Mesa Stila is a perfect place to unwind and get away from the Jakarta 'macet'. I will definitely try to come back.

We went on two tours: Telomoyo walk and Candi Ubud cycling trip. The Telomoyo walk started nicely, walking through the coffee fields and the lush hills. But the end is an anticlimax because you have to walk on the small road leading to Telomoyo and the top itself is cluttered in mobile masts. So better to hike one of the other mountains nearby. The cycling trip was fine but we would have liked a bit more jungle trail cycling so it may be an idea to discuss this with the resort to see if the can tailor the trip.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Mesa Stila.

Room Tip: The Merapi villas (Ambar category) are really nice and have a good view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jd583
Lutry
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at MesaStila just after easter, and were two of a handful of guests. They have 22 private villas dotted around a coffee plantation and lovely gardens, and ours was a large airy room with a wonderfully comfortable bed, high ceilings, carved wood beams, a large veranda overlooking jungle and volcanos, a massive sculpted baththub as well as shower and A/C. We're not particularly resort types, but this suited us to a tee. Staff were caring, human and friendly, with no trace of obsequiousness nor haughtiness or indifference. They remembered our preferences immediately and were highly attentive and helpful. We found that even those who are not customer-facing by role were immediately hospitable and helpful. We borrowed bikes and went for a spin through the countryside; took their arranged car and driver to visit Borobudur (splendid!) and giggled like crazy when he swung on a long vine from a Banyan tree. They prepared a lovely box breakfast (we got up at 3:30 am) which was outstanding and welcome, and picked us up from the airport. The food was delicious, the wine list lovely, and the sense of peace complete. We had a musical afternoon with gamelan players and were invited to play along which we did with great pleasure. I felt the team at Mesastila hit every note right. Our room could have slept a family of four comfortably, and possibly more. I would happily return there to hear the crickets, and see the volcanos, and rest on the veranda sipping a cool drink. And I haven't even mentioned the lovely pool, and the jungle gym (like a percorso vita in the jungle), and the splendid massage...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rennew
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was hugely looking forward to our trip to Mesastila, where the photos of the grounds looked amazing, the TripAdvisor reviews were glowing, and we were looking forward to some much needed R&R over Easter.

On the plus side, the grounds are indeed amazing. Verdant and lush, they are beautifully maintained. The historic buildings, including the former plantation house (now club house) are lovely. The views out to the volcanos and hills that ring the plantation are great as well, and you are treated to beautiful sunrises and sunsets every day. The environment itself is gorgeous, and a perfect backdrop to escape from the hectic day to day world.

Also worth mentioning, the food at lunch and dinner was spectacular. It is light, healthy but very, very tasty. A number of the dishes are very gourmet, with a great combination of flavours and textures. However, breakfast was a real disappointment and consisted of a very average buffet. The hotel would be much better off (especially considering the relatively small number of guests they cater for) to prepare a nice, freshly cooked breakfast for each guest. They should also serve proper coffee at breakfast, rather than the large carafe they have sitting on a burner.

However, the hotel really lets itself down in a number of areas.

Although it has been around for a long time, there is a real sense that the staff doesn't really know what they are doing. There are a lot of staff and they are very eager to please (verging into obsequious), but if you ask them even the simplest things there are looks of panic, running around asking managers, and then a variety of responses and reactions. This makes what should be a very relaxing experience very, very frustrating at times. For example:
- When I asked about breakfast (which presumably all their guests are interested in hearing about), I got a blank look, then "until 11" and finally "7-10" (the last one being correct)
- When I asked if I could use the yoga room on my own, I got a blank look, running around, waiting for 5 minutes, and then a response of yes
- When relaxing at the club house, I called the restaurant (as no staff were around) to ask for a glass of water. 15 minutes later, no water so I called back and was told it was on its way (the restaurant is about 1 minute walk). 10 minutes later, no water so I walked down to get my own. There, I was told it had just been brought up but was left at the front desk of the club house but wasn't brought to where I was. So back I went, to have a glass of water 30 minutes it was asked for. I should have just walked down to get it in the first place.
- Asking for anything at the restaurant is a test of patience and willpower, with even simple things like ketchup taking upwards of 10 minutes to arrive
- I booked an early morning departure flight. The website says it is 1.5 hours to the airport I booked, but when I asked at reception to book a taxi and what time should I leave, I got blank looks, then 2 hours early, then 3 hours early, then finally 2 hours early again.
- Due to our early departure, we would be leaving before breakfast started so were told we could order a breakfast box. We couldn't just tell the receptionist when we booked the taxi though, we had to tell the restaurant (why reception can't tell the restaurant rather than making guests shlep over is not clear to me). When we arrived early the next morning, they had very nicely laid out some coffee. But no breakfast box! Confusion abounded, but we had to get going to make our flight. So off we went, on an empty stomach.

There is also a sense that the whole hotel operation is intended to extract as much money as possible during your stay, which given the hotel is quite isolated is not hard to do.
- Unusually for a nice hotel, they ask you to pay the full stay when you arrive. I'm not sure if they expect you to scarper midway through the visit, but the clientel is not exactly the backpacker crowd so I'm not sure why they are so concerned
- All prices are most definitely NY/London prices, with US$4.50 coffees for example
- There is a lovely hammam which is mentioned prominently on the website, but it turns out that guests can only use it from 6pm to 7pm unless they book an appointment at the spa

There is also a touch of officiousness about the "wellness" aspect of the resort, and they do not serve soft drinks or beer. However, they do serve plenty of desserts and expensive wine. Why a guest who would like a Coke can't have one on their holiday if they want, is beyond me.

There is a full looking schedule of activities, and the early morning yoga is nice but the others really fall down. The coffee plantation tour is very perfunctory, consisting of one of the receptionists leading the group down to see the coffee plants, mentioning some very general things about coffee, not being able to answer many questions, and then a cup of coffee at the end. The physical exercise classes were a bit disorganised, and consisted of more talking and translation (some instructors did not speak English) than exercise.

On the last day of our stay, there was a celebration in one of the nearby villages which consisted of very loud music broadcasted over a loud speaker for eight hours. There isn't much the hotel can do about something like that, but it certainly affected the quiet atmosphere.

Overall, this hotel has all the infrastructure to be an absolutely marvelous experience but they need to spend a bit more time training their staff, thinking through their activities, and ensuring guests truly have a 5 star experience to match the 5 star price. I would be happy to go back, once they sort these issues out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MesaStila W, Manager at MesaStila Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Mrs. Carla G

We are very happy that you enjoyed your experience at MesaStila and consider coming back in the future. We apologize that the seclusion was broken by the noises extending from the local villages as they went about their daily lives. It certainly does not happen very often, but it does offer an insight into the way that people make their living (selling sustainability harvested wood) and celebrate their lives in the jungle (with traditional music). Furthermore, we continue to evaluate the service performance of our entire operation team to meet the highest standard of MesaStila experiences.

We hope that you will come back to stay with us again in the near future.

Yours sincerely – The Management Team
Santa Fe
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My goal was to find a hotel close by Borobudur, but the closest properties were not appealing. This charming property with its scattering of reconstructed local buildings and original Dutch era buildings was beyond my expectations. The staff were kind and helpful at every turn. The restaurant had a wonderful selection of Javanese dishes, including a "jamu" lady in the morning. Do try this local tonic. one of the reasons I selected this location was to be able to walk in the countryside and local villages, which proved to be perfect. There is the traditional calls to prayer from morning to evening. The hotel provided earplugs at night, but i never felt need to use them. The spa is excellent. My girl friend got me to try the coffee scrub, which I found over the top wonderful. This hotel is not only very luxurious for its location, but a fabulous experience.

1 Thank RTCoffland
jakarta
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I really wanted to give this resort 5 star as most people give it amazing reviews. For me it was inconsistent
After a long 2 hour drive, we expected some sort of welcome. The staff were more concerned with taking our id and getting our credit card. There was no welcome to Mesa Stila. This got the stay off to a bad start
The first villa we were given was dark and smelt mouldy. After I requested a change we were offered another villa, which was lovely. The villas are superb; huge and roomy with an enormous balcony. Neither villas had volcano views
The food – the first 2 days the food was average. Bland and tasteless, and I had to send one meal back uneaten. The next 2 days the quality of the food improved, but I was surprised at the lack of fresh herbs and fresh flavors
The spa was excellent and the treatments and massage also excellent.
Location; the resort is in unique idyllic surroundings, and the gardens and trees are wonderful.
The driver we had on the return journey was not a good driver, and when we reached the airport he just unloaded the bags and left. No, thank you for staying or anything. I have never experienced such rude service. And we paid 500,000 for this!
Despite all of this, I would return – the location and villas makes it worthwhile

1 Thank fzyjak
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went here during weekend with husband. We totally enjoyed our time at MesaStila. We didn't expect the treatment we got from the resort. Got upgraded to Arum villa ( andong #3 ). The view from our balcony was breathtaking, the sunrise was very pretty, we could see the sun coming up from behind the mountains, not everyday we get the chance to see it. We did morning yoga, horse riding and coffee plantation tour, all three of them were superb and very refreshing. One thing that all the guests should try is the hammam spa, two thumbs up! The food was very healthy and we loved it, they have food for vegetarian and diabetic people. The staff were helpful and attentive, felt so welcome in this resort. Very recommended for busy people getting away from hectic life! We definitely come back, no doubt about it

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magelang
Plataran Borobudur Resort & Spa
#12 of 22 in Magelang
Hotel Manohara Borobudur
Hotel Manohara Borobudur
#6 of 10 in Borobudur

Been to MesaStila Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!