We stayed for four nights from 11th to 14th April 2013 at the MesaStila, recommended by Amala Destinations. This travel agency did a marvelous job of recommending a particular Ambar villa and booking the room for us pricing in full breakfast and transfers.
We flew into Jogjakarta from Singapore and were met by the resort driver and limousine. The journey to the resort in Magelang took about two hours by car.
The striking feature about this fine resort, besides it’s fascinating history, is the vast spaciousness of well manicured grounds, the peaceful atmosphere, the Javanese buildings and historical artifacts brought in by it’s previous Italian owner. Sitting on an elevation close to 700 meters above sea level, the MesaStila (formerly known as Losari Spa Retreat and Coffee Plantation ) began in 1828 as a coffee plantation by Gustav Van der Swan. It was later sold in1946 to Cokro Aminoto, an Indonesian. In 1991,he sold the place to an Italian lady, Gabriella Teggia, who developed and expanded the property between 1998 to 2003 from 10 to 22 hectares ( 55 acres ) with 22 villas. All of the buildings are original to the plantation or are traditional buildings that have been moved in from elsewhere in Java.The reception building for instance, was a railway station lobby. In 2008, the property was again sold to the Indonesians. The villas vary between 80 to 135 square meters, and have been reconstructed from either an original Javanese Limasan, Joglo or Kudus wooden house. They are individually decorated with original antique art collections. Thanks to Amala Destinations, we had a villa with one of the best views!
From check-in to check-out, the service was most attentive, polite, pleasant and seamless. Even the gardeners greet you with warm smiles and salutations! One offered me coffee when I passed him by in the coffee plantation section. It’s certainly hard to fault the service and genuine hospitality!
Food served at the Java Red restaurant focuses on healthy Javanese diets. Each item on the menu indicates the type of diet for the health conscious: be it with antioxidant properties, low fat, detox friendly, low glycemic index, vegetarian, or promotes protein replacement. The vegetables are home grown organically.
At breakfast, complimentary Jamu drinks are served and a Jamu-Master is available for private consultations, offering personalized healing remedies. Bacon,ham and sausages: are NOT in the menu! Such a pleasant change! The Sunset Lounge serves a selection of juices, herbal teas, thirst-quenching coconut water and the home-grown Java coffee is served throughout the day. The resort bar which opens at 3 pm. till late has a selection of over 600 bottles of premium wines. Room service is available for late or early travelers from 7am to 10pm. I met the Chef who informed me that the kitchen staff will prepare something if you need to eat after hours,.
Rooms are cleaned twice a day. Every villa has aromatherapy burners. Healthy snacks, fruit drinks and low calorie cookies are available besides the five star amenities.
General Manager Mr.Isa explained that the Resort offers six elements to guests rarely found in other resorts! Guests are offered the physical experience ( jungle gym, yoga, spa ); nutritional ( healthy organic food ); stress management; an awakening of emotional and spiritual awareness; the cultural and adventure aspects (touring, cycling, horse riding, trekking; and informational and the educational aspects ( batik making, lessons in Gamelan and Javanese dancing ). I totally agree! From the commencement of your visit, the stillness of the lush vegetation, the incredible views, the sweet smell of flowers, the monotonous chorus of cicadas, to chirping birds, one becomes immersed into these healthy gardens, the Javanese wellness therapies, the food and services of skilled local healers. The Hamman spa is also very unique and must be experienced! I had 15 minutes in the Caldarium infused with essential oils of eucalyptus followed by 50 minutes of a Javanese massage which was excellent! The magic of wellness and experiential services available from all in the MesaStila Team exceeds expectations with what in Javanese is tulus - meaning sincere, clean and pure!
All the villas are non-smoking.
WiFi is complimentary.
Transfers to Yogyakarta or Semarang airports cost about US $50/- each way.
Air Asia flies directly from Singapore to Yogyakarta. Silk Air flies to Yogyakarta via Jakarta.
Resort rates include breakfast.
Avoid coming over weekends. Locals drive up for the weekends and the Spa services can be tight. Across the road from the main Resort gate is a large car park.
The property is not wheel chair friendly.
Amala Destinations web site: www.amaladestinations.com
MesaStila web site: http://www.mesahotelsandresorts.com/mesastila/
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- MesaStila is a luxury five star resort & spa that incorporates an unparalleled collection of remarkable antiques and enchanting buildings; including Central Java icons such as a Colonial railway station and historic Joglo-villas. The property has twenty-three unique villas set within an area of twenty-two hectares of outstanding natural beauty; surrounded by cooling highland-air, eight mountains, tropical gardens and lush vegetation. Built within a charming coffee plantation, MesaStila offers distinctly Javanese experiences both cultural and fitness activities. The true magnificence of MesaStila is in its spectacular setting and its Hammam Turkish Spa. At MesaStila the focus is on luxury yet keeping the traditional, local and wholesome experiences intact, which accentuate the magnificence of the environment, the people, the culture and facilitate a healthy lifestyle- full of wonderful experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your MesaStila Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Losari Spa Retreat & Coffee Plantation Hotel Magelang
- Losari Spa Retreat And Coffee Plantation
- Losari Coffee Plantation Magelang
- Losari Coffee Plantation Hotel
- MesaStila Resort And Spa Magelang, Indonesia - Java