“Nice old hotel....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #65 of 225 Hotels in Bandung
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Nice old hotel....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights for business trip. Basically it is a nice old and historical hotel but still in good shape. If I may say it, it was quite creepy. Especially I heard some creepy stories about this hotel. But I didn't experience strange things. Actually the room was so comfy and clean which made me sleep well. The bathroom also clean but a bit smelly. Also, the service was excellent but the breakfast wasn't that good.

Overall, I enjoy my stay here but if I get a chance to find another hotel, I will go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Find a room facing the street. It is better than facing or near the pool. It is more noisy than the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I visited Savoy Homann back then in college times for having a buffet treat from relatives. i remember Savoy was one of the best Hotel in Bandung ever, with the history and everything.
I moved out abroad and still visit Bandung sometimes. I wanted to stay in Savoy Homann but I still think the price is quite high.
One time I got a discount and stayed at Savoy for two nights getaway in Bandung. I was kinda disappointed finding out that they were not as busy as the last time. The room was still great though but some of the air con in the corridor were turned off (maybe for the cost cutting purposes)
Breakfast was great but again, it wasn't as full as it used to be. It kinda saddened me a little because this hotel has A LOT OF HISTORY but now so many new hotels in Bandung with great location and affodable prices that made Savoy a little 'dormant'.
However I still love this hotel, and of course if you stay here, you must go out and cross the road, just the opposite of Savoy, there's this stall of NASI GORENG that would change the way you standarize nasi goreng ever!! It's the awesomest nasi goreng ever!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Haarlem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is a lovely old art deco building with nice enough rooms. Bed is very comfortable. However, bathrooms could be updated and wifi connection just flat out sucks. Its incredibly slow and you need to log in again everytime you open your phone/ipad, staff is friendly but the people at the front desk are not extremely knowledgeable. Concierge however helped us out efficienlty with a private car rental. Dinner was good, although drinks wre ridiculously expensive. Breakfast was nice with great variety, but very busy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a hotel build in the Dutch colony. it is art deco but well kept. The room old and big, even the bath is as wide as the room. I feel spooky sleep in this old hotel. The food is ok, and the location is prime, with good staff. The price is just right. A historical hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with front view...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

A comfortable room still retaining its Art Deco style; the hotel itself is an architectural treasure in an area with other lovely buildings, especially the cinema just down the road! also quite historic as the venue for 1st pan African Asian conference. We enjoyed the food we had, and the staff were lovely. There is an excellent bar with music. No safe in room so we had to deposit valuables in safety deposit box - wonderfully old fashioned procedure, like you see in the movies.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
washington dc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

nice architecture, but the hotel and management are sliding down, old furniture, not updated we were planning 3 nights but changed to grand praenger hotel much better, 5 star class a real one ! nice swimming pool, services and lots of good food, same price much better deal

Room Tip: go to grand preanger
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I traveled for a week with my family during the Lebaran season. We have accomodated here a couple of times in the past though this time, it was so bad I honestly had no words for it.

We were excited at first knowing that the rooms have been renovated since our last visit about 3 years ago. The first disappointing experience is that they have two types of internet service. An extremely slow of a joke that is complementary and a much faster one, though you'd have to pay an extra $5 for 24 hour use. Even though it isn't 'that expensive' it's still a pretty cheap method to suck money out of us. Why not offer it complementary? Doesn't make sense.

The toilet didn't flush properly which was horrid and disgusting. Even after calling maintenance service, they still didn't fix it! AC didn't have any options at all. It was confusing to understand whether 'high' meant colder or 'low meant hotter, because we couldn't really feel the difference. It would have been better if we could just adjust the temperature as numbers to our liking rather than low to high options and the fan options were the same as well.

Room is clean and each room had a flat screen. Channels on the TV weren't much though it didn't really bother me nor the others. Highly recommend ordering Asian food as the chef doesn't cut in the other foreign cuisine placed on the menu. I did really love their Teh Tarik! To die for, though really expensive $4.5 when I could buy sachets of the same quality over Circle K, with approx. 6 uses, 1 sachet per (approx.) 500ml glass, same portion as they serve us.

Breakfast was disappointing at times and hygiene can be terrible at times. As a chef, food wasn't properly stored out in the buffet area and I was extremely concerned with the bacteria infestation. At one point the milk was rotten and for several days they had to serve powdered milk rather than fresh. Horrible!

I didn't have the desire to spend that much time in the hotel, though the only place that I ever enjoyed being there was in my room. Comfy bed and great to pass out after a long day.

At one point my family ordered food for lunch and I understand how long it takes to cook these dishes, especially simple noodles and an oxtail soup - all of these would have already been prepared. It took approximately 1 and a half hour to arrive! After several complaints it seemed as if the waiters/waitresses didn't care. Luckily my family was patient enough to wait and the food finally arrived.

I had a much more enjoyable experience in the past and I am not even sure if I would ever come back.

Room Tip: No preference so far.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Savoyhomannbidakara, Manager at Hotel Bidakara Grand Savoy Homann Bandung, responded to this review, September 8, 2016
Dear Mr/Mrs. Hestia,
Warmest greeting from the Savoy Homann Bidakara Hotel!

We are very honored that you have chosen our hotel for your trip.
We apologize for any inconvenience about the room. Hopefully for the next stay you will enjoy and there is no problem anymore.
Once again, thank you for choosing Savoy Homann Bidakara Hotel.
Have a great day and see you soon at Savoy Homann Bidakara Hotel.

Best Regards,

Management

Travelers are raving about these Bandung hotels