“An amazing turn around - a very good hotel”
Review of The Papandayan

The Papandayan
Ranked #9 of 231 Hotels in Bandung
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I wrote an earlier review of this hotel a few days ago and I have now done something I have never done before and I have withdrawn it and wish to replace it with this.
Yes the stay got off to a bad start, failed airport pickup and a collection of other mess ups resulting in a very unsatisfactory experience. The calamities were compounding one upon another and it was a bad experience. However on Wednesday I spoke with Richard Mau the GM.
I am staggered by the manner in which he has galvanized his staff and between them they have turned the whole thing around.
It appears that my Fawlty Towers experience has been put to positive use and Richard and Elly and all the other staff used it to learn and to vastly improve their service. I cannot believe some of the steps they have taken to make my stay not just good but ultra-impressive, I have never experience such things in any other hotel and that is the reason why I have completely revised my view of the Papandayan.
The whole experience is transformed beyond recognition from the experiences of Monday and Tuesday.
The hotel staff are now not just polite and smiley, but efficient too (a killer combination for guests!).
Salvatore the chef has waved a magic wand in the kitchen and the food at the Pago restaurant is unrecognizable from what it was before.
To return to a review; the hotel is recently refurbished and its appearance is old world colonial style retaining that period style charm.
The hotel is situated on a busy street and there is traffic noise – but it’s in a big City, I don’t know many Cities where there isn’t traffic noise. Within the hotel it is a kind of garden based oasis.
Everything is maintained to a high standard and it is very clean - the staff to guess ratio is high.
Rooms are large, and well pleasant to stay in (especially on a long stay – it does not feel like you are living in a box). Bed is comfortable and pillows sufficiently firm. There is plenty of free drinking water in the rooms.
Bathrooms are well equipped and linens very nice. As Richard acknowledges a few corners have been cut here and there, but he is working (apparently night and day as he always seems to be around) to rectify this.
Now that they are back on the ball this is a good hotel and as I have said in many previous reviews the staff can make or break a hotel. Guests will forgive most things if they are made to feel welcome and are treated honestly and considerately and now I certainly am being treated in exactly that way.
Well done Richard and all the staff – keep it up.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FJB774
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind comments and observations. Our experience has truly given us the opportunity to step up our guest engagement skills and understanding of the expectations guests oftentimes have. It has indeed been a pleasure having you stay with us and now we consider you as part of our distinguished guests for helping us improve. Please know that while we may be in pursuit of exceeding your expectations, little mishaps may occur, but ultimately we are here to provide genuine care and hospitality by always placing our guests at the forefront of our efforts.

Looking forward to your return!
richard

Reviewed June 5, 2012

On holiday in Bandung, we choose The Papandayan as our only place to stay. Once i entered the lobby, i have a very positive feeling. The room was very clean and super nice, the service was excellent. Then we decided to go down for dinner, and we experienced the WOW factor. Food was amazing, the buffer was well set up, and the most amazing thing was the lasagna. Fantastic taste, fresh ingredients, and beside the lasagna, the big wheel of parmesan cheese which was the final italian touch. Congratulations to the team and the chefs. The service was outstanding. I will recommend this hotel anytime. Thanks Papandayan.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sussie W
papandayan88, General Manager at The Papandayan, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear Ms. Sussie,

Thank you so much for your kind comments! On behalf of our entire staff and management team, I am honored to accept your words of appreciation. It will be my pleasure to share these comments with everyone particularly with our team of culinary care and quality who strive each day to give their best. Please let us know if we may ever be of assistance to you or your friends and family by contacting me personally at gm@thepapandayan.com.
Thank you again and have a great day!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Everything from booking, communication, pre-arrival confirmation of requirements, warm welcome on arrival, hospitality, professionalism, and that very much appreciated trait of "what can we do to help" made our stay at The Papandayan a very pleasant and memorable experience. To be greeted by the GM soon after check-in is a rare honour and was greatly appreciated.

I travelled with a military group for business and we had some particular requests that were time-sensitive; The Papandayan staff pro-actively managed all of our needs so that we could meet our objectives. Hospitality provided was outstanding, even to the point of senior staff being aware of our cultural norms and providing that special 'individual treatment' for our group. Staff are knowledgeable of local customs & traditions and this information proved to be very useful during our stay.

The Papandayan was chosen on this occasion for a number of reasons and location was important amongst those; it's well located for city-centre activities and an easy drive to the airport. To my mind, it's a harmonious mix of classic traditional themes with all the modern conveniences & appliances necessary - even an Australian electricity outlet in the Exec Level rooms! Exec level rooms are outstanding in all respects. The Exec Lounge is the perfect environment for relaxing after a busy day and the staff are professional and helpful to the utmost.

All the hotel staff are outstanding in all respects; definitely in my top 3 for service and hospitality for this class of hotel in Indonesia and it leaves many in Australia 'eating its dust' for the same reasons. Addtionally, I rate The Papandayan as much better overall than the Bandung Hilton or Hyatt Bandung.

Thank you GM; thank you senior staff; thank you to the whole team at The Papandayan for making our short stay so pleasant. I'll be back; it's my hotel of choice in Bandung.

cheers,

Marcus Bagley
Jakarta

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
papandayan88, General Manager at The Papandayan, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Mr. Bagley,

WOW! I believe every hotelier works towards and hopes that his team will be able to deliver and exceed their guests expectations. While your kind comments and review of The Papandayan was certainly not expected, I will say it is most definitely appreciated and accepted on behalf of all of our associates.....I look forward to sharing it with all of them. More importantly, we look forward to your next return! Thank you again!

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We were greeted warmly on arrival and our rooms were ready before 12 noon. The rooms were large with all expected facilities and interconnecting as we had requested. After settling in we enjoyed the buffet lunch at the Pago Restaurant. The food was excellent with good variety and the General Manager, who had earlier introduced himself to us as we were exploring the hotel, personally carved the roast and had it brought to our table for us to enjoy. Unfortunately we could only stay 1 night and had to leave early the next day to get the 7am train to Yogyakarta.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I am looking forward to returning in July with a group of friends visiting Indonesia.

I would highly recommend this hotel. The only difficulty we had was finding it as our driver from Jakarta was not familiar with Bandung but of course this is not the hotel's fault!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
papandayan88, General Manager at The Papandayan, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear Friends from Down Under,

It was a pleasure to hear from you and that you enjoyed your visit even if it was just for 1 night.

I am more delighted to be able to share your comments with our team of associates who strive each and every day to do all that they can to ensure our guests feel at home, safe and truly appreciated for having selected The Papandayan 2012 ITTA Award winner as Leading City Hotel - Bandung. Pleased let us know if and when you plan to return as we look forward to doing something extra special for your return visit! I can be reached at gm@thepapandayan.com....see you soon!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I normally avoid coming in town and prefer staying in the hills of Dago but had a workshop to arrange so a town location was needed. Lucky me! I would have never ended up here otherwise. By far one of the best locally branded hotels I have stayed at in Indonesia and most international brands could learn from Papandayan.

Room was excellent. Bed big and comfortable. Bathroom big and clean. Good selection of teas and coffee in room.

Breakfast was very good. Wide selection but not just an imitation of other 5 star hotel. Seems somebody is actually thinking about the selection!

My only regret is I am only here for one night of a 3 day workshop. Wish I could stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank stevenbkk
papandayan88, General Manager at The Papandayan, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind and most valuable comments. I will be so pleased to share them with our team of associates and let them know your observations.....Please let us know when you are back in town or if I may assist you with any future arrangements at The Papandayan!
warm regards,

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Nice hotel, complete facilities. Fabulous staff.
Excellent food.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

warm regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Stayed at this hotel when I came to Bandung for my cousin's wedding and I wish it were for longer! The rooms are clean, very comfortable (pillows were a treat to sleep on), and nicely decorated. Facilities were great, breakfast was a massive diverse buffet, and I really appreciate that the Internet was free. So many 5 star hotels always make you pay but not Papandayan. Staff were also very friendly!! No complaints here!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
papandayan88, General Manager at The Papandayan, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012