“Good option”

Ranked #36 of 230 Hotels in Bandung
Canberra
“Good option”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Good location, near CiWalk shopping, near zoo, etc, and has to be one of the better newish options in this pleasant city. The pool and restaurant area that's in the publicity photos is indeed nice, the rooms are modern but by no means huge, breakfasts are great and have a wide choice. Staff were helpful. One oddity we had was that we had to sign a waiver before they'd unlock the balcony for us, and they denied that they had any capacity to change the annoying balcony light, which would come on at nightfall and stay on for several hours. So be careful of balcony rooms.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SteveS49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Went with few friends to Bandung in July 2010 and stayed in Sensa Hotel for 5 days 4 nights.

Check in was a breeze considering that i didnt pay any fee online but the hotel still hold my bookings for me. Done the bookings through email with their reversation staffs who was very helpful and friendly.

On first glance, I like their minimalistic and chic decor. Clean cut without too much clutter. Room was spacious and clean as most of the furniture in white(my fav).

Service was excellent and hotel staffs were very friendly. Housekeeping staffs were also fast and efficient as they strive to meet all our demands. I applaud their staffs alertness and helpfulness. One particular incident when we were waiting at the lobby entrance for our driver to pick us up, the staffs saw us waiting and even went to the extend of helping us to search for our driver at the basement carpark and hotel surrounding area.

Our stay includes buffet breakfast with a good spread of choice between local and international food. I just love the cappucino that was served daily to us. Food was constantly refilled each time to ensure all hotel guests filled their stomach before venturing out for daily activities.

Its also conveniently located next to Cihampelas Walk - plenty of shops, cafe and restaurants to while your time. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Bogor, Indonesia
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Sensa hotel it is the nice hotel that I will recomment to friends, because, we don't have to go out for shopping, it is only next door... and the atmosphere is good, because Ciwalk Mall is all around with tree.. big tree! My children loves it..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank m4r14_10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed @ Sensa Hotel Bandung from the 21- 24 May 2010. The hotel is only 6 months old and has a shopping mall attached to it. Travel time from the airport is less than 20 minutes. The room has a descent size and comes with a great view of Bandung. My only complaints about the room were;
i) Water from the shower area floods into the bathroom. Design defect.
ii) Its darn difficult getting the shampoo / shower gel out from the bottle. Another design defect

In general, this is a great hotel but beware of the constant traffic snarl at Jalan Cihampalas. Its nice a serenely within the hotel / Cihampalas Shopping mall but step into Jalan Cihampalas and you are in another world.......

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruds10
Singapore
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We (my partner & I) stayed in a Superior room at the Sensa Hotel for 3 nights fm 13/5/10 - 16/5/10.

Generally my impression of the hotel is a positive and good one, just like all the other previous reviews were. However, I will try and be as objective as possible to give a balanced view to readers who are considering to stay in this hotel for their Bandung trip.

Checking-In :-

Checking-in was a brisk for us without any hiccups at all. But then again I am one who has always been very cautious to make sure that things go smoothly when I'm on a hol. A messed up at the check in can really disrupt the whole holiday mood for everyone right from the start of a long awaited trip.
If you have booked a room thru a travel agency (like most do), it is always better to send an email direct to the hotel itself to check whether your reservation is securely placed in their system.
I'd made my booking thru Asiaroom.com, and after the confirmation from them, I immediately sent an email to the hotel Sales and Marketing Administration (Ms Sofia) to check whether they have a room booked under my name and that everything abt my reservation is in good order. The reply from them was immediate and was in the positive. That gave me the peace of mind and also the speed in which they responded to any queries speak volumes of their efficiency - a sure sign of a hotel which takes pride in their customer service. (Not sure whether I can provide the hotel email address here in the open section or not, lest I break some kinda spamming rule of the TA. Those interested to have the email addy, can msg me)

Free transport transfer provided from Bandung airport to hotel :-

The hotel has a 7-seaters MPV to ferry guests to/fro fm the airport. Make use of this free transfer coz , trust me, hailing a cab from that small overcrowded Bandung airport is not an easy task.
Do not forget to add in yr email the request of the free hotel transport transfer (if you are coming fm Bandung airport and do not have any prior transportation arrangement made).
When I arrived at the BDO (Bandung) airport, to make matters worse, it was raining and the small area at the entrance/exit of the airport was overcrowded with people. Almost everyone has their own transport to pick them up. I hardly saw a single cab at all. Thanks god for this free transfer service that the hotel provides.
Remember to state in yr email to the hotel, the arrival date and time of yr flight and provide them the flight no.too, if you have it. To make doubly sure that things go well, I even gave them a call on the very morning before I flew off. Reconfirmed with them again my flight timings and got the name and hp no.of the driver who will be coming to fetch us, in case there is a delay in the flight. Once you have done that, you wud be fine and all you need to do, upon exiting the Bandung airport, is to look out for the uniformed hotel staff carrying a card bearing yr name. :)

Staff service and attitudes :-

Staff services and attitudes in this hotel is top-class. I'd gladly give a 5-stars for it. No problem.
From the managers to the receptionists,concierges,bellboys,waiters and waitresses.....all out them will fall backward to help you in any way, should you need their assistance.
On my 1st day there, as it was raining, we did not want to venture too far off from the hotel for our dinner. My simple request at the reception as to where the nearest place where my partner and I can have our dinner, surprised me pleasantly. The concierge himself escorted us all the way, out of the hotel, to the neighbouring Cihampelas Walk mall to show us a restuarant (BMK) where we can have our meal.
I was like going "wow" in my mind.....2 thumbs up for the excellent customer service of this hotel !! Frankly, in all the places that I had been, I had never witnessed this before. Most would only just explained to you the direction (walk straight, turn right here...turn left there...this kinda stuffs, ya know) and leave it up to you to get it right, amidst all the language barrier thrown in between.
Not only is the service efficient, it is prompt too. I usually hate to call housekeeping/room services for anything (eg.extra pillows,toilet rolls,ice cubes etc etc) coz I dun like hanging around after each call waiting and wondering when the service will be delivered. Some hotels I had stayed in before, would need at least a few calls before things wud be sent up in any reasonable time at all.
Not this hotel. The moment I put down the telephone, and even before I can change out of my outdoor clothings (after returning fm an outing), the doorbell rang and ...hey presto !!....here's the stuffs you asked for , sir. Never had I gave tips so willingly for services provided like I did here ! LOL !.

Breakfast :-

No complaint here either. The buffet breakfast area is located on the 3rd floor of the hotel. The seating area is huge, comprising of both indoor and outdoor areas (good for smokers like us who like a puff after our meal :D).
The buffet spread is pretty good with both local and western dishes, catering for all tastes. They vary their dishes daily too. Appreciate that, coz some places don't and after the first 2 days it can get kinda boring. This is also one of the very very few places that serve you the eggs that you had ordered from the egg-station.
I was pleasantly surprised (again!), when after telling the chef what types of eggs I preferred, that they will be sent to my table. How's that for service , eh? ;) Most places , at the egg-station, you will see a line of hungry guests with plates in hand, waiting for their eggs.

The room :-

For a superior room, ours is spacious enough. Have a balcony that overlook the town area. Can see the scenic bridge highway. Nice. Everything is spic and spank, and things work like they sud. No leaking taps or toilet that doesnt flush properly.
I supposed thats the advantage of staying in a hotel which is very new - everythings are in prime condition.
I love the shower too - overhead rain shower-head (see my pic) and good strong water pressure. Water temp. works like a charm and easy to control too.
The bed is comfortable - firm yet not overly hard. Initially I was kinda worried coz it seems that they have only queen-sized bed (I may be mistaken). I'm a 6 footer and a BIG bed is a MUST whenever I stay in a hotel.
Dun fancy sleeping with feet dangling over the edge. I stressed to them my request for a king-sized bed and heaved a sigh of relief when I saw one in my room. Big and wide. No fear of stumbling off the side in the wee hour of the morning (I can be quite a tosser at night. Haha). Pillows were good too. Big and firm. Not those that become like pancakes within 2 mins of laying yr heads on them - like some hotels do.

However, some of the downsides of the room are -
a. The flooring are marbled and not carpeted. I'm more used to staying in a hotel which have carpeted floor. Find that more comfy, as marbled floor can get pretty cold on the feet after a while,esp in the morning when one just woke up.
b. The 1st 2 days of our stay there were some persistent ants on the dressing table. Not sure where they came from. Kept appearing even after I had wiped the table clean. But they were mysteriously gone after the 2rd day tho.
c. The room doesnt has a Do Not Disturb/Please Clean Room sign. We have to call housekeeping each time we want to leave the room, to let them know that they can make it up now. However, the cleaner will always came around at abt 11am to enquire whether we want to clean the room then or not. Kinda leceh (troublesome), I think. Better just to have a simple sign to hang on the door to indicate our preferences eh ?

Location :-

This can be open to individual preferences.
Sensa Hotel is situated at the Jln Cihampelas (aka Jean Street) - one of the busiest street in Bandung, for sure. Like some said earlier, it is right smack in the middle of things the moment one step out of the hotel.
But, in my own opinion, I wud rather prefer the meaning of "right smack in the middle of things" to mean that the moment when we step out of a hotel, there are plenty things to see and plenty shops to leisurely stroll by. To each his own, but I frankly think that Jln Cihampelas is def not a street meant or built for leisurely window-shopping ventures.
Plenty of things to see, sure. After all, its the well-known Jeans Street,is it not? But the problem is that you will have to get there first before you can even see anything at all......and preferably 'in one piece'. We risked life and limbs each time we "try" to take a walk down the main street to 'see things'. With angkots, cars and motorbikes whizzing inches past us, potholes and drains where pavements sud be, we said thanks to the almighty each time we came back with all faculties intact.
This def not a street conducive for browsing thru the shops there. What more, all those FOs along this street are rather run down and nothing catches the eyes at all. Its like 1 min in , the next min out kinda stuffs for us at these places.
Thruout our whole stay in Bandung we did not buy a single things at the Cihampelas FOs. All the better and more buy-worthy FOs are located at the Jln Setiabudi (which is not far fm Sensa actually), Jln Dago and Jln Riau area.
So, if anyone who has not been to Bandung and is considering Sensa thinking that it is just right alongside at all the jeans FOs in Jln Cihampelas, then that may be the wrong criteria for choosing this hotel.

The saving grace for Sensa as far as location is concerned tho is :-

a. It is right next to a big modern mall - The Cihampelas Walk (aka Ciwalk). All the basic neccessities can be found here. There's cafes and restuarants where you can have yr meals or even a KFC outlet and other fast food rest.where you can have a bite if you so wish. The BMK rest., I meantioned earlier, is just right next to the Ciwalk. The food is ok , the price is affordable and the ambience is good.

b. If you have yr own rental car, then location wise it is not that impt anymore. From Sensa to Dago or Riau (where most of the FOs are), by car, it is only abt 20-30mins. To the North-West, abt 1-2 km, is the Setiabudi and Sukajadi areas. Going by car there is only a matters of abt 15mins.
One of the most popular FO, Rumah Mode, is situated at Setiabudi.....and the beautiful Paris Van Java mall is at Sukajadi. A very good and cheap seafood rest. (D'Cost Seafood Rest.) is also located at Sukajadi. Strongly recommended, if you want to have a value for $ meal.

Tips :-

The hotel transfer car, when available, can be nego for rental. I tried it on our second day coz I realised having a car+driver to move around in Bandung is a MUST for tourists.
I nego with the manager for a day's rental of the car and got it for 425,000rps , everything included (fuel,parking & driver's meal). Rental from outside companies(established ones) wud usually be 400,000 for car+driver only (fuel 70,000, parking 10,000 and drivers meals 20,000-30,000).

Overall, we have a good stay at the Sensa Hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and the place is new and clean. Some may said that the hotel (esp the lobby) looks too sterile and is minimalistic in design. But to me, it doesnt really matter coz the lobby is just a place that I passed thru only when coming or leaving the hotel. Anyway, I prefer open spaces anytime over clustered enclosure. Whats that really matters to me is the comfort of the room that I stayed in, the way things must work like they are meant to be and the service of the staff running the hotel. In all these 3 aspects , Sensa Hotel had exceeded my expectation and had helped to make my Bandung holiday a happy and memorable one. Thank you, Sensa !!

PS - Special thanks to my fav concierge , Pak Dawan, for taking such good care of us thruout our stay....right up to the end at the Xtrans Xpress office. Banyat Terima Kasih, pak !! :D

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lucas4060
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We picked this hotel because of it's location, it's slap bang in the middle of everything and because it is new.

The reception reminds me of a hospital as its pure white everywhere (for how long remains to be seen as dirt is already starting to show in places). Check in was brisk and efficient, however confirming my reservation I made with my Travel Agent was not. At first they couldn't find it, then they asked me to email them a copy so I was a bit nervous that they wouldn't have a room for me as we were arriving at Midnight, but it turned out okay, I just guess their reservation department is a bit slow at entering data.

Our room was big, had a wonderful comfy bed and big walk in shower. I slept like a log and didn't hear a sound from outside.

There is free internet which worked without problem and was efficient.

The breakfast was very good with a choice of pretty much everything. We didn't have time to utilise the swimming pool, but will next time as I will stay here again next time I visit Bandung.

All in all, 100% positive. I wish all hotels were this good.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hz88
Rome
Reviewed May 6, 2010

New hotel with a modern architecture, room really really clean (when you choose an hotel in Indonesia, it's better to choose a new hotel, don't see how many stars it has: Sensa Hotel is really 5 stars not 4)
I didn't find any bugs also not any ants...(really clean)
In central position (central mall about 50 mt from the hotel)...
Breakfast was really excellent: many food to choose (when you ask for a coffee they make a really fresh coffee from the coffee beans)
The best Hotel in Indonesia!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family