“You must stay here!!”

Sama's Cottages and Villas
Ranked #3 of 653 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just stayed at Sama's again (one month later) because I fell in love with it the first time. The staff here are so wonderful. I was in Bali on my own (22 year old female) and Sama's made me feel so safe. I'm already planning a longer trip next year! I had a stressful event occur while i was there - a bank machine ate my debit card. Kath and Wayan were so supportive and helped arrange everything to get it back. You can't put a price on feeling safe when you are travelling solo. The cottages themselves are so clean, quiet, and inviting. The fresh flower arrangements that the boys caringly put out every day are my favorite - you can just tell that they appreciate the guests. The breakfast is so fresh and served on your oasis of a patio (one of my favorite places to sit and drink tea in all of Bali). The pool area is also gorgeous - and a great place to make new friends. I made quite a few friends that I know will be for life while staying at Sama's, it just seems to attract down-to-earth people that appreciate Bali's natural beauty. This is what Kath and Wayan have captured at Sama's - the pure, raw beauty of Bali's rainforests in a great location that allows you to see the best of both worlds. If you're a runner - keep going down Bisma and run along the green rice paddies. Or just walk it :) . Stay here and see for yourself - it is paradise!

Room Tip: Closer to the office has less rooster noise in the morning :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Wayan S, Owner at Sama's Cottages and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Kirsten, what can we say, except another big thankyou to you for writing such a heartfelt review, your second for us. You absolutely get what kind of guests Kath and I try to attract....we run our cottages in a manner of honesty, respect and care for not only our guests, but of course our wonderful staff too. With that approach to our cottages, we do tend to have fantastic, down to earth and interesting people stay with us, often very like minded too. We are always there to help any guest in difficulty, we know it can be stressful to have a problem with money, etc in a foreign country. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back here one day very soon Kirsten. Take care and stay well and happy.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Samas cottages are well positioned with easy access to Ubud centre. The staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. They provide great information for things to do and see. They also organise for drivers to pick up from the airport and also if you want to hire a driver for the day to take you on a trip to visit the sights. The staff were the highlight for our stay at Samas.

Breakfasts are served to your room and times and choice are flexible.

The gardens are lovely and well maintained. Its peaceful surroundings and simple decorations offer a haven from the buzz and bustle of town, yet positioned in close proximity to the heart of Ubud.

I would highly recommend Samas to single travelers, couples and families.

Room Tip: I would advise an air-conditioned room as the Bali nights can be very warm indeed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angharaddavies21

Angharad, thankyou so much for choosing to stay with us at Sama's, and for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I have passed on your wonderful comments about our staff, what a compliment to hear they were the highlight of your stay. I agree they do a fantastic job, and are committed to making your stay a relaxed one, and they are genuinely happy to help. We are very proud of all they do to make Sama's a great place to stay. Once again, thankyou so much for all your positive comments. All the best to you and your family!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Sama's Cottages were recommended to me by a work colleague who stayed there with her family over Christmas and I also really enjoyed my 5 night stay at the end of March. Communication during booking was easy as Kath is Australian and she always replied quickly. I organised an airport pick up by one of her recommended drivers, Wayan and I also used him for other journeys including a day trip. I would also recommend him as he was always reliable and fair.

I stayed in a superior fan room which was fine for March as the temperature cooled off at night. The bed also had mosquito nets around it and was very comfortable and I slept really well every night. Breakfast is delivered to your veranda each morning at the time of your choice and is always made fresh for you and to order. The cottages are quite private as the vegetation around them provides perfect screening. Beautiful flowers and plants around! Little flowers are are also left onyour bed and in the bathroom which are nice touches. Everywhere is so clean and the tiles so shiny.The staff work hard to keep the gardens looking immaculate and are also there to help out with any questions at any time.

I stayed at the cottages on my own and the location was perfect because you can walk to the main streets with lots of shops and restaurants easily, even at night. It's safe and well lit.
The new coffee shop owned by Sama's Cottages, Kopi on Bisma also serves good lunches and great coffee!

I would definitely recommend Sama's Cottages!

Room Tip: I was in cottage number 2. Some of the cottages are down a couple of quite steep steps, so if this m...
1  Thank debsjlee
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My stay at Sama's Cottages was a pure delight from start to finish. Gorgeous cottages set amid luscious gardens that offer a lovely sense of peace, quiet and tranquility. Sama's is located just outside the hustle and bustle of the centre of Ubud, so it is quiet and in a beautiful setting - but it is still close enough to walk to all of the popular attractions. The staff were very friendly, professional and attentive. They deliver breakfast to you every morning to your own private verandah and out of my entire stay in Indonesia, Sama's breakfast was the best. The constant supply of hot water and tea/coffee was very welcome as I became quite addicted to drinking Indonesian tea. The cottages themselves are beautiful with a canopied bed and large bathroom complete with bath (did not encounter another bath throughout my stay in Indonesia). Sama's Cottages is good value for money considering the high standard service you receive and the beautiful, well maintained grounds. Sama's is a magical little oasis, perfect for the person looking for peace and quiet, but still wanting to be close to all the best that Ubud has to offer.

1  Thank foxandtail

Dear foxandtail, WOW!!! Such a beautiful, descriptive review. We can't thankyou enough for taking the time to write such a gorgeous review for us. I myself find our gardens a calming retreat I often escape to. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and were able to appreciate the little extras we offer you so that your stay can be even more special.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

My daughter (12 yrs) and myself stayed at Samas for four nights, mid March. This time we missed out on where we usually stay and I came across Samas on TA. Correspondence with Kath was prompt and all my questions were answered honestly. Our cottage was Superior a/c, very clean and spacious. Bathroom was spotless. Linen AND mozzie nets clean also. The boys (Samas staff) were always respectful, courteous and helpful. The pool was sparkling clean and refreshing. Kopi on Bisma (Samas own cafe) well what can I say. The food was so fresh and the salads to die for. Im sure my daughter will vouch for the ice cream as we had to stop here each night for an icecream fix. We are regular visitors to Bali and I have no hesitations in recommending Samas Cottages. I always felt safe (as Im a single mum and travek with my girl) this was themost important factor for me. Thankyou Kath, Wayan and staff for making our stay at Samas a most memorable one :)

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Sama's, the longest we have spent in one place while on holiday. Location, room, service and staff were all excellent. Location is on a side street, about a city block off one of Ubud's main drags, within easy walking distance from the main temple, palace and market, a lovely walk through rice fields, and not far from Monkey Forest. On Sama's street are restaurants, a mini market, laundry and barber. We were concerned that the cottages might be rudimentary, but ours was very nice, spacious and modern with a good bed, bathroom and mini bar, surrounded by lush greenery. As other reviewers have stated, the cottages are on a hillside. But it is not a long or steep walk to any - six at the top level, another two six or seven steps down, and the last two cottages about ten stair steps below that. Breakfast is good, complete and delivered to individual cottages. The pool and surrounding area is lovely; the water was warm when we were there. Owners and staff offer suggestions, and are friendly and helpful. A very nice experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabe G

Hi Gabe, thankyou so much for a wonderful review. It was an absolute pleasure having you and your lovely wife stay with us. We always try and consider guest needs and requests, including allocating a cottage on the upper level if a guest has certain health issues and cannot cope with too many stairs. We want all our guests to be able to relax and enjoy their holiday with us, it is important to us that you are as comfortable as possible. All the very best to you and family, and thankyou so much once again for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at Sama's Cottages in one of the two semi-private rear cottages for four nights last week, and found them to be charming and a perfect match to my needs. I wanted somewhere within an easy walk to shops and restaurants, and as I had a busy itinerary and would likely be spending limited time in my chosen accommodation I wanted something that wasn't too expensive, but was still clean, cosy, safe, attractive and with friendly welcoming staff. Sama's certainly matched all that.

The wooden bed complete with its white mosquito curtains and fresh flowers on the pillows gave the cosy-sized room a romantic ambience, whilst the traditional-style roofing/ceiling, batik linen accents, early-morning kampung rooster calls, night time cicak (gecko) chirps, and the colourful flower displays added to the authentic Balinese experience. Each morning breakfast is served to your own little verandah enabling you to greet the morning surrounded by a lush, but manicured tropical garden complete with all the little critters that inhabit it - such a beautiful, relaxing start to the day.

The bed was firm, but I found it to be comfortable. The bathroom is simple with a 'shower over bath' system, but overall it is spacious, clean and very adequate. The breakfast was fresh and light, and I really appreciated the lovely Balinese-style coffee/tea and thermos of hot water that was available all day/night on the cottage verandah - a great pick-me-up for when I returned between activities.

Finally, a big thank you to Kath and the guys for making me feel very welcome - I will certainly be back, and have already uploaded a Facebook post so my friends know about your cottages.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Wayan S, Owner at Sama's Cottages and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Girlibear, we can't thankyou enough for putting us on your Facebook page! We sincerely appreciate your efforts to help promote us, and let your friends know about Sama's Cottages. It was a pleasure to meet you and thankyou so much for taking the time to not only write a beautiful review for us, but also upload some photos. We hope to see you back here with your husband one day soon!