“Two seniors enjoy nine nights at Sama's Cottages, Ubud” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sama's Cottages and Villas

Sama's Cottages and Villas
Ranked #4 of 511 Ubud B&B and Inns
Palo Alto, California
“Two seniors enjoy nine nights at Sama's Cottages, Ubud”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Sama's, the longest we have spent in one place while on holiday. Location, room, service and staff were all excellent. Location is on a side street, about a city block off one of Ubud's main drags, within easy walking distance from the main temple, palace and market, a lovely walk through rice fields, and not far from Monkey Forest. On Sama's street are restaurants, a mini market, laundry and barber. We were concerned that the cottages might be rudimentary, but ours was very nice, spacious and modern with a good bed, bathroom and mini bar, surrounded by lush greenery. As other reviewers have stated, the cottages are on a hillside. But it is not a long or steep walk to any - six at the top level, another two six or seven steps down, and the last two cottages about ten stair steps below that. Breakfast is good, complete and delivered to individual cottages. The pool and surrounding area is lovely; the water was warm when we were there. Owners and staff offer suggestions, and are friendly and helpful. A very nice experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gabe G
Wayan S, Owner at Sama's Cottages and Villas, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi Gabe, thankyou so much for a wonderful review. It was an absolute pleasure having you and your lovely wife stay with us. We always try and consider guest needs and requests, including allocating a cottage on the upper level if a guest has certain health issues and cannot cope with too many stairs. We want all our guests to be able to relax and enjoy their holiday with us, it is important to us that you are as comfortable as possible. All the very best to you and family, and thankyou so much once again for choosing to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at Sama's Cottages in one of the two semi-private rear cottages for four nights last week, and found them to be charming and a perfect match to my needs. I wanted somewhere within an easy walk to shops and restaurants, and as I had a busy itinerary and would likely be spending limited time in my chosen accommodation I wanted something that wasn't too expensive, but was still clean, cosy, safe, attractive and with friendly welcoming staff. Sama's certainly matched all that.

The wooden bed complete with its white mosquito curtains and fresh flowers on the pillows gave the cosy-sized room a romantic ambience, whilst the traditional-style roofing/ceiling, batik linen accents, early-morning kampung rooster calls, night time cicak (gecko) chirps, and the colourful flower displays added to the authentic Balinese experience. Each morning breakfast is served to your own little verandah enabling you to greet the morning surrounded by a lush, but manicured tropical garden complete with all the little critters that inhabit it - such a beautiful, relaxing start to the day.

The bed was firm, but I found it to be comfortable. The bathroom is simple with a 'shower over bath' system, but overall it is spacious, clean and very adequate. The breakfast was fresh and light, and I really appreciated the lovely Balinese-style coffee/tea and thermos of hot water that was available all day/night on the cottage verandah - a great pick-me-up for when I returned between activities.

Finally, a big thank you to Kath and the guys for making me feel very welcome - I will certainly be back, and have already uploaded a Facebook post so my friends know about your cottages.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wayan S, Owner at Sama's Cottages and Villas, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Girlibear, we can't thankyou enough for putting us on your Facebook page! We sincerely appreciate your efforts to help promote us, and let your friends know about Sama's Cottages. It was a pleasure to meet you and thankyou so much for taking the time to not only write a beautiful review for us, but also upload some photos. We hope to see you back here with your husband one day soon!
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Sama's is unpretentious, generous in their efforts and lovingly cared for. From my initial contact with Kath through emails regarding the rooms available, I felt the warmth and heart she puts into making her guests' comfort a priority. So much so that when I expressed concern about not having AC as she only had fan cooled cottages left, she frankly told me about the conditions of the room and how it can get quite hot with the mosquito netting down. She then offered some recommendations on alternative places to stay if we felt that not having AC would be a problem. That really convinced me that Sama was the right choice as I knew they were not about deceitfully trying to fill rooms and making a quick buck. This place is about building lasting relationships with guests and creating a home for all who comes to stay.

The grounds is a wonder filled with life and nature. Anyone who wants to complain about bugs & critters, noise from crickets, frogs & birds or dampness & gloom from trees have no business coming to Sama! It is perfect trying to live with nature around you. The cottages are well-kept, clean and comfortable. It was actually very cooling and got quite chilly at night...definitely no AC needed for us! We felt so safe and secure that we slept with the windows open. Location was perfect, far enough away from noise and air pollution but near enough to go on foot to the main street. Less than 10 mins walk to the heart of Ubud, the Market. Walking around Ubud streets is enjoyable, we even ended up at Monkey Forest without realising how far we'd gone!

The staff are wonderful, exuding true Balinese hospitality and sincerely wanting to be of assistance. Anyone who thinks that they are after some business or advantage by their enthusiastic inquiries of what you have planned for the day is truly paranoid! They simply just want to chat and perhaps offer some helpful tips. When you wake up and step onto the patio, you will find hot water with coffee and tea ready. Breakfast is whipped up fresh once you let them know you are ready for it. I enjoyed the banana Jaffle.

It was a shame to not have had the time to enjoy the lovely, clean pool and the massage poolside but that was our problem with time management. Definitely something to experience on the next trip!

By the way, definitely have a look at the file on the patio table, it is filled with great recommendations for places of interest and food of quality. We took up the recommendation for the rice field walk which starts not far from Sama's and was blown away by the wonder of it! Definitely stop by Sari Organik for some great, organic food and drinks with a wondrous view. And check out the Organic Farm directly opposite it. We were lucky enough to run into the owner, Nila who generously gave us a tour and comprehensive explanation of what the farm is all about. I must commend Kath and the entire Sama's family for making a conscious effort at preserving the environment through recycling, waste management and promoting the local organic community.

Perhaps some notes for improvement:

1. To provide a sift for the coffee as Balinese coffee powder does tend to have a lot of sediment.
2. Was awoken every morning by some enthusiastic sweeping/raking of leaves. Maybe this chore could be done a little later?
3. It should be made the norm rather than the exception to not change the sheets and towels daily. Luckily we were around when the boys came by to clean up the rooms with fresh linen so we told them not to change, if we were out, they would have been replaced. Perhaps a note should be left in the room asking guests to inform reception if they want their linens changed, otherwise they'll just be tidied up.
4. A reading lamp bedside would be a very good addition.
5. The lamps should all be changed to warm white / yellow bulbs as I find it really creates the ambiance as opposed to the white ones now. Of course, a little more light or higher wattage bulbs in the bathroom and a reading light is beneficial.
6. A walking map of the immediate area with the places of recommendation on the back would be very helpful for guests to carry around.

I'm so glad I made the choice to stay at Sama's....no regrets! It definitely lived up to it's excellent ratings and reviews. Thank you Kath and team for making our stay wonderful!

Room Tip: Let the owners know what you want and what you don't and they will recommend what's best sui...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OliveGoh
Olive, it was a pleasure meeting with you and connecting with you during your stay with us. Yes, we hope that next time you will be able to stay longer than 2 days so you can fully relax and enjoy the ambience at Sama's. You wrote such a warm and detailed review of which we all appreciate so much. Thankyou too for your suggestions......we have taken them all on board so that we can further improve our service for our guests. Balinese coffee is indeed meant to have sediment at the bottom....it is like Turkish coffee, meant to be drunk that way! Secondly, we do change the bed sheets only every second day, only the towels get washed daily, but you are right we should put a sign in the bathrooms like the big hotels do re change of towels. Reading lamps.....we have 2 in each room? And the colour of globe, is a personal choice that we cannot win either way, as many guests firmly do not like the 'yellow' bulbs! Thankyou so much for your review once again Olive, and all the very best!
Mlbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights (4 adults, 2 cottages, air conditioned ) One cottage was by reception and one was at the rear of the property, overlooking a 'forest' . The cottages were spotlessly clean, the air conditioner was quiet and efficient ( and we needed it ) and each cottage had a nice balcony. The cottage at the rear of the property was slightly more private, but it was subject to more animal noises, birds, frogs etc . It was also down a number of steep steps.

Breakfast was pre ordered the night before and delivered to our balcony. Fruit juice, fruit , eggs or pancakes etc . The pool was also very clean with ample sun beds. We usually had the pool to ourselves. Their cafe next door had excellent coffee and ice cream, and a limited range of good
quality food. We ate in the cafe and also ordered food and drinks around the pool.

I had a great reflexology massage on the balcony of my cottage. They have a massage bale around the pool, but there was some construction work going on next door, so it was more peaceful at my cottage.

If you walked away for the main street you could see rice paddies, art galleries, and at the very end ( short cut to monkey forest road) past where the road ends and becomes a dirst/stone track for 500m,there is a plaque on a shop where US President Obama stayed for a few months whilst writing his book in the 1990's .

It would have been helpful if they had maps of the area at reception, as the directions given to us by reception were not great.

We normally stay in 4 plus star accomodation, and had just come from the Hyatt in Sanur. (Transfers arranged by Sama's cottages ) Whilst this was not the Hyatt, I was pleasantly surprised as the place was lovely and charming, had everything we needed and was well located .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Sama's Cottages was the most welcoming place I've ever stayed. The cottages are clean, the grounds are stunning, and the staff are devoted and very friendly. The daily breakfast was included in the room rate and was always fresh and delicious! There was always hot water on the patio for tea/coffee and we really enjoyed just sitting and enjoying the view. The staff were sincere and interested in our adventures and never once tried to sell us anything. They were very helpful when we requested assistance contacting companies/organizations. We were always bugging them for fresh milk for our tea and they were always so gracious and friendly. I would recommend Sama's to anyone and everyone as its in a safe location that is family friendly but could also be romantic for a couple. Thanks to Kath and Wayan and all the boys for maintaining such a beautiful place to relax in Ubud! I am returning in 2 weeks I was so impressed!

Room Tip: The fan cooled rooms were more than cool enough for a great sleep if you are on a budget!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kirsten, we can't thankyou enough for such a heart felt and warm review. All of us just loved having you and your mum stay with us, it was an absolute pleasure to get to know you both and share some interesting stories. We are also thrilled that you returned for another stay so soon! You are one of those special guests who 100 per cent understand what we are trying to create here at Sama's. Thankyou. Please keep in touch and we hope you will make it back to Sama's sooner rather than later!
Port Macquarie, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at Sama's Cottages in a fan room. Firstly, the cottages are spotlessly clean and set in a delightful garden setting. The staff are absolutely wonderful and couldn't have been more friendly or helpful, especially the gorgeous Dharma.

The pool is lovely and very welcome after a big Ubud walking day. The breakfast was adequate and tasty and served on the balcony was a lovely start to the day.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay at Sama's Cottages again as the bed was like sleeping on a block of concrete. This would be the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on in Bali and very nearly in South East Asia although there was one in Vietnam that came very close. At one stage during the second night I comtemplated sleeping on the floor as the bed was just torture. I suffered from a sore back for several days after staying at Sama's Cottages.

If the bed had been comfortable I would give Sama's Cottages top marks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello Midcoast, first of all I would like to thankyou for writing such lovely comments about our grounds, cleanliness and friendly staff. We try hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and friendly caring service, and it is wonderful that that is what you experienced. I am only sorry that you felt our bed was the 'worst in Sth East Asia' (very big statement that one!). I too have for a long time had a terrible back, and so can sympathise 100 per cent when the bed in a hotel room doesn't suit you. I actually use the exact same mattress for myself, they are all good quality mattresses, but I apologise if they didn't suit you and your particular back problems. I thankyou very much for staying with us and wish you all the very best.
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Sama's Cottages is a nice hotel overall, but its' territory is located on a pretty steep slope and the cottages are located on several levels, and we wouldn't recommend the lowest one! We stayed in a cottage on the lowest level for 10 days, and we felt like we paid too much for the quality we got and left earlier than planned. Below are detailed pros and cons, based on our experience.

PROS
- good location! Jalan Bisma is a small, quite, but central street.
- swimming pool (but if you plan to go out during the day, the pool will be of NO use - it is chilly during evenings in Ubud)
- lush vegetation on the hotel grounds
- convenient parking in front of the hotel entrance for you motor bike (you can leave your helmets on the reception too)
- great breakfasts with good choice, hot water always available in a thermos
- clean fresh linens

CONS
- Our cottage had a queen size bed and an extra small bed (although they knew it was only 2 of us), which left no free space in the room. We asked to take the small bed out, and after half-an hour our room was free of the extra bed, which revealed really DIRTY walls...
- There was significant LACK OF LIGHT in the room and in the bathroom. We even asked for an extra lamp or smth, but they said there is nothing they could do.
- We had large ants in our bathroom every day...
- Across a strip of forest from the cottage there is another street with a restaurant which has weekly concerts. Every Thursday (as I remember) they had REALLY LOUD music during the night, we almost couldn't sleep (thought we are extremely tolerant of loud noise like roosters, btw roosters are there to wake you up every morning :)).
- The hotel stuff is overall nice, cheerful and young. However one thing that really annoyed us by the end, was that they asked us every day, or even several times a day- "Do you have plans for tomorrow/today?". It's nice they can arrange tours, but I think people are capable of asking themselves when they need help with tours. Mind that usually WHEN YOU BOOK TOURS THROUGH HOTEL YOU PAY MORE! It's much better to buy a Singapore sim-card and contact all tour companies yourself - you can even bargain with some :)

Overall, we wouldn't recommend staying in this hotel if you don't need the swimming pool (there are better cheaper options without a pool in Ubud). We believe the hotel will be great for families with smaller kids, who have to spend quite some time in the hotel during the day.
But we definitely don't recommend the lower level cottages to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SmileyMay
samascottages, Owner at Sama's Cottages and Villas, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
SmileyMay, thankyou so much for staying with us for 6 nights and for your detailed 4 star review(even though you didn't enjoy it apparently). There are quite a few points I would like to clear up though, in defense of our staff, service and facilities.
1) we do not make you stay the entire time you booked in for if you are not happy, so I am not sure why you stayed for 6 nights when you weren't happy, as you would have not be charged anything extra except for the nights you stayed. If I don't like a place I check out after the first night :)
2) When you checked in you immediately complained about the single bed, which we promptly removed, immediately. The bed in that room is a fixed single bed so we usually do not move it, but we have now in an effort to keep all guests comfortable at all times. Many thanks for alerting us to this.The walls are not dirty, I am so sorry it is called rising damp, which we know is a problem and is regularly cleaned by our staff in an effort to keep it under control. This is one of the things we will be working on when we close for renovations in April.
3) It is clear from the pictures in our website that Sama's is indeed situated down a terrace to the river, and that it is in a lush jungle! We try our absolute best but occasionally ants do appear, as do geckos, butterflies, mosquitoes etc etc......this is the tropics and we cannot elimite all the wildlife. The room you stayed in is a little dark, we are trying our best to overcome this and we have even cleared many of the trees around the cottage in an effort to make it lighter. Our boys did NOT say there was nothing they could do re the light, they went and got you another lamp and even ran around trying to meet your request of another coloured light bulb!!
4) Asking you what you are doing today does NOT mean our boys are trying to sell you a tour...they are genuinely interested in what you are doing and love to engage with our guests. I am so sorry if you took this the wrong way. Our staff, after reading your review, and vividly remembering you, are really upset at your words. They are dedicated and honest and we know this.
5) the jazz music finishes at 10pm, most guests are fine with it, some even have drinks on their veranda will listening to it....others are not ok with it and we understand this. This is something we have absolutely no control over though as it is a different owner with permission to play music until 10pm
6) There are indeed many, many other places to stay in Ubud, we know that already. Cheaper places are indeed cheaper, but for a reason, and we feel we offer value for money, a safe, clean, friendly place to stay in Ubud. We are proud of the little extras we provide, and how we as the Management look after our staff so that they want to stay and build their careers with us. There is so much more to Sama's than a cheap place to crash.
We hope that in future travels you enjoy your time and we wish you every happiness. We have taken all your criticisms on board and are always striving to improve in all that we do.